Classic Rock Fans

What’s your favorite underrated (or just lesser known) classic rock song and why?

One of my favorites is For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her by Simon and Garfunkel because the imagery they use when talking about a woman they are imaging is one of the most beautiful and pure ways I’ve ever heard a male writer describe their ideal partner. It contrasts so much to the many of the other songs written about women by men. It’s so refreshing to me.

Another favorite is Little Girl Blue, sang by Janis Joplin. She is one of my all time favorite singers and when she sings, I can almost feel every emotion that she was trying to portray all the way in my bones. He voice was one of a kind and resonates so deeply within me.

3 Likes

Warren Zevon’s “Excitable Boy”. The upbeat doo-wop sound contrasted with lyrics about a psychopath biting, raping, and murdering women is just pure unbridled fun and adorable social commentary on how we excuse the unconscionable behavior of young men, a theme that is sadly still relevant today.

3 Likes

Ah ha ha. Ijust used Excitable Boy as a song in the Name a Song that Starts with the Last Letter thread.

Plus I saw Warren Zevon play the song once at UW Madison’s Rathskeller – the first on campus bar in America. Actu ally I only heard Zevon playing there, because the people were a thousand deep, spilling out into the Commons upstairs.

Zevon used to play there all the time. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s amazing! I’d give my left kidney to be able to go back in time and be there for that.

1 Like

That’s so cool! UW Madison is one of the places I’m looking at for grad school!

1 Like

I also saw Garbage’s first concert together as a band in Madison.

They were actually not very good at the time. Shirley Manson was so terrified of Vig – and of being on stage in general – that she couldn’t speak.

Plus her Scottish accent was about as thick as marmalade back then. :slight_smile:

Warren Zevon used to put on a fantastic show. He loved playing the piano.
He would oftentimes pour water or beer on his head while he played.

He was really a lot of fun to watch. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, man. Super jealous. Zevon was on regular rotation on family trips, so I got hooked on him pretty young. “Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner” was my early favorite, though “Desperadoes Under the Eaves” is what gets me nowadays.

2 Likes

OMG yeah. Roland is a great song too. People would sing the chorus out loud.

I saw Cheap Trick for the first time at the Rathskeller as well. They actually played upstairs in the Commons because there was no real stage downstairs. I was literally standing right in front of Ricky Nielson, so close I could have lit Bun E. Carlos’ cigarette for him.

It was great. Back them, whenever they played Surrender, Ricky would throw KISS records out into the crowd when they sang the line “Got my KISS records out.” People would wreck them though, fighting over them. A guy in the same dorm as me caught one once and fought off the hordes, to keep it from getting destroyed.

Oh God. KISS is an awesome band as well. :slight_smile:

I’m a kid born in the 70’s. Love Stevie Nix!

American Pie, Danny’s Song, anything Elton John, but I was a teen in the 90’s and love grunge. Nirvana especially.

1 Like

I have seen Stevie Nicks in concert four times, with Fleetwood Mac. Also Elton John twice. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lucky! I live in a rural area and have only been to country concerts. My uncle played for Frank Sinatra, Elvis and Louis Armstrong so you’d think I would have more opportunities but I don’t. Sadly…

I love going to concerts. Recently, this year, I’ve seen Styx and Cheap Trick, each for the umpteenth time. Also, I live near the home of Summerfest – the World’s Biggest Music Festival.

So, I see a lot. Last year at Summerfest I saw Pat Benetar, Brian Setzer, Jethro Tull, O.A.R. and Molly Hatchet. I also saw Marshmello, who was cool, and Alesso, who was not-so-much.

Stevie Nicks was so cute when she was young. She’d wear these black gossamer angel wing sort of outfits, and when she wasn’t singing or playing the tambourine, she’d just spin around in lazy circles.

And of course Mick Fleetwood is a fun character to see. The last time I saw him, he was wearing a vest that had electronic drum sensors sewn into it. He played a drum solo that way, walking around on stage while smacking himself all over.

It was very cool. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love hearing the stories. Pat Benatar brings back memories. Joan Jett is another one I love!

Actually, I am basing my current book on Angel of the Morning and Dust in the Wind.

Oh my gosh. I love Joan Jett. I could tell a dozen stories about all the times I’ve seen her perform.
When she was with The Runaways, playing in a band of underage teenagers girls in various bars, they would sometimes play at a bar in a bowling alley three blocks from where I lived.

I was underage too, but I knew that if you waited until after the third song or so of the third set of any band, the bouncers would stop checking IDs and collecting admission, and you could just walk right in, to hear the last few songs.

I did not like the style of music The Runaways played that much, and their singer could not sing a note, but gosh – seeing a group of four hot teenage girls my age playing hard rock live was a sight to behold.

Plus they were so frigging loud that I could practically hear them from my bed in my room. :slight_smile:

I have a story called The VocaLords that is based on the Japanese VOCALOID singing machines for Gumi and Miku. It also features T.O.P. from k-pop’s boy band BIGBANG.

:slight_smile:

Jim Croche, Creedance Cleaewater Revival is a good one too. I get lost on YouTube once I start listening. It’s like rabbit hole and I get so much inspiration.

Ha ha ha. Yeah, me too, about YouTube. I never got to see Creedence Clearwater, since they broke up too soon, but I did get to see The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band once, who they used to tour with. Actually, I only heard them, as the Student Union at UW-Madison once set up a stage for them on the University Lawn. They got the band to stop by on their way to a concert with Charlie Daniels in Portage.

It was a mob scene. Everybody on campus – and in the whole city, I suppose – came to see them, as the show was free.

And I used Jim Croce’s Roller Derby Queen just recently, as the lead-in to the latest Episode of my story QueerSpace, entitled OverLord. :slight_smile:

You should write a book about these experiences! Not everybody gets to see the things you have and they can live through you. When my uncle tells me stories about touring I’m lost and could listen to him for days. He met his wife when he toured with Elvis. She worked for him and it’s really neat to listen to. The city of Boston has a day they dedicate to my uncle. He’s in his 80’s now and I keep begging him to write a book.