Classic Rock Fans

What’s your favorite underrated (or just lesser known) classic rock song and why?

One of my favorites is For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her by Simon and Garfunkel because the imagery they use when talking about a woman they are imaging is one of the most beautiful and pure ways I’ve ever heard a male writer describe their ideal partner. It contrasts so much to the many of the other songs written about women by men. It’s so refreshing to me.

Another favorite is Little Girl Blue, sang by Janis Joplin. She is one of my all time favorite singers and when she sings, I can almost feel every emotion that she was trying to portray all the way in my bones. He voice was one of a kind and resonates so deeply within me.

Warren Zevon’s “Excitable Boy”. The upbeat doo-wop sound contrasted with lyrics about a psychopath biting, raping, and murdering women is just pure unbridled fun and adorable social commentary on how we excuse the unconscionable behavior of young men, a theme that is sadly still relevant today.

Ah ha ha. Ijust used Excitable Boy as a song in the Name a Song that Starts with the Last Letter thread.

Plus I saw Warren Zevon play the song once at UW Madison’s Rathskeller – the first on campus bar in America. Actu ally I only heard Zevon playing there, because the people were a thousand deep, spilling out into the Commons upstairs.

Zevon used to play there all the time. :slight_smile:

That’s amazing! I’d give my left kidney to be able to go back in time and be there for that.

That’s so cool! UW Madison is one of the places I’m looking at for grad school!

I also saw Garbage’s first concert together as a band in Madison.

They were actually not very good at the time. Shirley Manson was so terrified of Vig – and of being on stage in general – that she couldn’t speak.

Plus her Scottish accent was about as thick as marmalade back then. :slight_smile:

Warren Zevon used to put on a fantastic show. He loved playing the piano.
He would oftentimes pour water or beer on his head while he played.

He was really a lot of fun to watch. :slight_smile:

Oh, man. Super jealous. Zevon was on regular rotation on family trips, so I got hooked on him pretty young. “Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner” was my early favorite, though “Desperadoes Under the Eaves” is what gets me nowadays.

OMG yeah. Roland is a great song too. People would sing the chorus out loud.

I saw Cheap Trick for the first time at the Rathskeller as well. They actually played upstairs in the Commons because there was no real stage downstairs. I was literally standing right in front of Ricky Nielson, so close I could have lit Bun E. Carlos’ cigarette for him.

It was great. Back them, whenever they played Surrender, Ricky would throw KISS records out into the crowd when they sang the line “Got my KISS records out.” People would wreck them though, fighting over them. A guy in the same dorm as me caught one once and fought off the hordes, to keep it from getting destroyed.

Oh God. KISS is an awesome band as well. :slight_smile: