Classic Who

Who here remembers the classic Doctor Who? Do you have a favourite storyline / Doctor / companion? Why? Do you prefer it to the New Who?

As an opener: As much as I’ve tried to love the new Who I can not. I’ve watched pretty much every episode leading up to Peter Capaldi’s Doctor and, save for one or two episodes, find it severely lacking. The special effects are amazing but it seems to have come at the cost of the storyline.

I love all the Doctors leading up to, and including, Sylvester McCoy. These are my faves per Doctor;
William Hartnell - The Unearthly Child
Patrick Troughton - The Krotons, Seeds of Death
Jon Pertwee - The Deamons, Day Of The Daleks
Tom Baker - Logopolis, Keeper of Traken, Genesis Of The Daleks
Peter Davidson - Castrovalva, Earthshock, Resurrection Of The Daleks, Caves of Androzani
Colin Baker - Revelation of the Daleks, Terror Of The Vervoids, Mindwarp
Sylvester McCoy - Ghost Light, Remembrance of the Daleks

Fave Doctor - Peter Davidson
Fave companion - Ace, followed by Peri (for obvious reasons), Turlogh
Fave enemy - The Master, The Valeyard, The Daleks, The Cybermen
Scariest moment - When we first see the Cybermen in The Tenth Planet

Ah. They always say you love the Doctor you grew up with. In my case, that is Baker the Greater. I really loved the gothic horror stories they did with him - The Seeds of Doom, The Talons of Weng Chi-ang, The Pyramids of Mars and others of that sort. Very good storytelling, that didn’t really come back until McCoy got into his second season. Except for The Happiness Patrol. That was a good story.

New Who has its ups and downs - but then so did Old Who. Capaldi had the problem that I was always expecting him to do a ‘Malcolm Tucker’.

I’ll agree with you on Ace. Not Peri, though. I’d rather have Nyssa of Traken. Her farewell strip still sticks in the mind!

Hey John. You’re right with the Doctor; hence why it’s Peter Davidson for me! However I agree wholeheartedly with you on the Tom Baker stories. They’re all excellent stories -as was Robots Of Death!
The Happiness Patrol was one that I hated when I saw it as a kid but watched it recently again on DVD and loved it.
Nyssa of Traken - yes, those last episodes of Terminus were quite something. She was more demure but no less beautiful! I also quite like Jo Grant as well…

I grew up with Sylvester McCoy so he will always have a special place but my favourite is tom baker. when it comes to the intro music, it is definitely McCoy’s intro

1 Like

Also, I love every episode that has daleks and cybermen

I reckon The Happiness Patrol is one of those stories that you need a certain maturity to appreciate. I think of it as a satire more than anything else. Alright, giant homicidal Bertie Basset might have been a step too far, but I’ll forgive it as late Baker the Lesser strangeness.

I never could get why people thought Jo was incompetent. She was just accident prone.

I cannot work out why some of the more vocal fans are complaining about Chibnall mucking up the timeline. I reckon that he is just reviving the Cartmel Masterplan, but with the current Doctor. If it was acceptable with McCoy, then it is acceptable with Whittaker.

by the way, the happiness patrol scared the sh*t out of me when I was a kid

1 Like

Ah - you ARE a whovian to know about the Cartmel master plan. My bugbear with what they’re doing with New Who is that they’re doing it for the wrong reasons. Cartmel wanted to bring back mystery to the Doctor so he seeded the scripts with hints that the Doctor might be more than a Time Lord -which is still in keeping with the rest of the mythology. The Doctor has always been a rebel and, whenever we’ve seen him with other Time Lords he’s seemed ‘other’. The fact that he has dealings with the Black & White Guardians attests to this.

What they’re doing with new who is simply for the ratings… I’ve seen Doctor Who rapidly degenerate over each season -regardless of my own personal feelings to the ‘franchise’; the quality of storytelling just gets worse. They try to blow up the Earth; then next season closure they try to blow up the universe; then the whole of time itself; then they focus on the ‘secrets of the Dr’ and then River Song / Amy and then turn the Doctor into a woman and…and… and… What ever happened to just writing about characters and letting the stories unfold properly. lol
Truth be told, I’m not even sure how the Cartmel masterplan would have left the Doctor…

Jo was brilliant - one of the few people to resist the Master’s mind control, although she was outfoxed by him during Frontier In Space!!

The best Cyberman story has to be Earthshock. Tour de force.

Strangely enough though, I find the original Cybermen the scariest: the cloth covered mouth and the bare hands! The voice was inhuman as well…

1 Like

I love earthshock but my favourite cybermen story is revenge of the cybermen.

1 Like

Oh - that’s an interesting one… I could never understand the guns on top of the heads. it was a nice idea to set it on the Beacon though. Actually, that whole season had an interesting interlocking thread!

What was it that you love so much?

1 Like

Nah. Just a person who hangs around with them :smiley:

The problem is that people have forgotten what Doctor Who is meant to be - a fun programme to watch with the family. My daughter (she’s 25) and I love to watch it. We agree that New Who has its ups and downs, but for every ‘Robot of Sherwood’ there is something like ‘Blink’ or ‘The Time of the Doctor’. I agree that if they were to get back to just telling stories, we’d be happy. After all, they seem to do well enough when they spread over two episodes.

I’m not worried about Whittaker being the Doctor. She is a decent enough actress. And I ignore the complaints. Back in the day (“Why’s he gone all wibbly?” “He’s having a flashback.”) the fanzines and APAs would complain when a new actor took over. It just took longer, and there weren’t as many people paying attention.

All UNIT agents are trained in mind-control resistance! It’s just that it doesn’t work with them all.

Now, I’ve got to stop thinking about Lalla Ward.

It’s because they are just human enough to remind you. Sometimes the most effective effects are not necessarily the best.

My favourite is ‘Attack of the Cybermen’, closely followed by ‘Tomb of the Cybermen’.

2 Likes

The whole idea of the cybermen trying to blow up the planet of gold (can’t remember the name) and the doctor trying to stop it.

Voga lol - I am such an anorak!!

Just started watching The Kings Daemons again… love it!!

I do wonder why the Master’s Tissue Compression Eliminator looks like an oddly shaped dildo though… I know the BBC were on a tight budget an’ all but seriously??

Tomb is such a classic!! Attack of the Cybermen is pretty cool though. What I loved about Earthshock was that the title didn’t give it away. I remember watching it as a kid and flipping out when the Cybermen were revealed as the real enemy!!! I think that was the last time we ever got that treat and would certainly never happen now!

It is almost a direct follow-on from ‘Resurrection of the Daleks’, and it has Brian Glover in it to boot.

Of course it does!! I remember!! (Far better role than Beryl Reed had in Earthshock!!)