College Advice. Please. I’m dying of inner turmoil

How important is it to prove I can math if I’m gonna apply to NYU and am looking to get into law?

Oof, I wished I could have helped you but I’m from Europe the requirements are clear for getting into University and acceptance if based from exam results.

If it’s in America I guess it depends on your whole resume, but Math should’t be that important if you want to Major in Law.

1 Like

I don’t have a lot of personal experience with this, but one of my closest friends is going to NYU (with hopes of attending law school). I think you need to show that you have a basic understanding of all subjects (including math), but if your major is in the humanities, they should weigh you english scores a bit heavier.
Hope that helps!

2 Likes

We have interesting system in my country my Math exam results are terrible, but I still managed to study Software Engineering for free in a respectable college :smiley: .

1 Like

higher math classes are usually only required for STEM fields. at my school, we have a math 1030 class that teaches you some real world stuff and for STEM non-majors that’s all they have to take

2 Likes

Came in hoping to help but my Canadian ass knows nothing of the American school system :sweat:

As far as I know for where I’m from, you need to get an undergraduate degree (in any field, so no maths here!) and then apply to law school. My friend recently applied to law schools and decided to do the LSAT as it is a requirement for a lot of universities. I believe it’s mainly focused on analytical skills and problem solving so not really any maths.

So anyways, not sure how it works in the US or what stage you’re at. Wish I could be more help!

1 Like

I don’t know what NYU’s admission requirements are for math specifically, but you’ll need to take a standardized test to apply (https://www.nyu.edu/admissions/undergraduate-admissions/how-to-apply/standardized-tests.html), and if you do the SAT or the ACT, there is a math section, and it would be in your interest to do decenty well on this. I would look up specific requirements for applying to NYU or email them to check what courses you need. Some colleges don’t require you take a math class all 4 years of high school. However, to do well on the standardized tests it helps to have several math classes under your belt. Colleges themselves may also require 1 or 2 semesters of math.

Keep in mind that if you are planning to go to law school after college (which is the only way to become a lawyer in the states) you will eventually need to take the LSAT, which has a pretty big logical reasoning component. It’s not math exactly, but having the ability to solve puzzles will be important. For instance: https://www.kaptest.co.uk/courses/graduate/lsat/practice/logic-games

3 Likes

Hello! If you’re looking for law schools, have you looked into John Jay? NYU is rather expensive but if you have scholarships for it, go for it. The average SAT score for NYU is 730 for math and 683 for English. Other than SAT scores, colleges will look for a personal essay that will tell them a little about you. Some things that go into this essay might extracurricular activities like clubs, jobs, or obstacles you’ve had to overcome.

2 Likes

Same, I’m in Australia, and heck, American system confuses me so much… and I thought ATAR was confusing.

2 Likes

What do you mean prove you can math?

Like your grades in math?

Are you Law or Prelaw?

If im not mistaken @therosecontinuum and I attend NYU but I’m Med, so math and science is VERY important how about you rose?

I think you’re better looking directly at the schools requirements Law admissions NYU

3 Likes

Oh no thats not how this works must be in the 25% of all subjects

Yeah, but it is unfortunately legally required in my state, so idk how high i should strive

I have enough math classes to cover all the SAT material already, just worried about how the Honors/AP will look on Apps

The LsAT point: Yeah, ik, but thanks for the reminder :slight_smile:

Thanks for trying to help!

I’ve looked at it a bit, but forgot about it pretty quickly. thanks for brining it back 8nto my attention!!

Thanks for letting me know :slight_smile:

1 Like

I mean prove I can do well in math. My grades themselves aren’t horrible, but I’m wondering if I should do more AP/honors instead if regular math to show I’m more advanced, even though I’m also already on an accelerated path.

1 Like

Thanks for trying anyway!!

1 Like

oof wish America was like that. Congrats!

1 Like

Oh yes always take AP I’m assuming youre still in highschool so look into this AP classes to take for law

3 Likes

Yeah if your question is whether or not to take AP, definitely do so. Not only will they be incredible experiences (I learned more in my AP classes than I did in half of my college courses), but you’ll get SOME sort of credit and a whole lot of preparation for college.

I didn’t score amazingly well on the SAT / ACT, so I didn’t get the highest scholarship available at my college. But because I took so many AP classes, I graduated with a 5.0 in high school, and I found enough outside scholarships to cover my tuition.

2 Likes

oooh thank you! I wish I had this sooner (already dropped oit of AP Spanish T_T)

1 Like

Its cool it’s just a “Better your chances” also do community service they love this shit and join a club. I play basketball so yeah but there are others too