Comics on Wattpad.. is it possible??

I know we can upload pictures, and am frustrated with the infinite scroll of other comics and novel/comic web hosters. Would Wattpad consider letting people post web comics? Is it possible? I’ve been on this site for years and like it a lot. I know lots of us do art, illustration and graphic story telling alongside our novel/prose or fiction. Would this be a feature you’d want? How would you feel about comics on Wattpad? Sorry if this is already a thing.

To be honest, I don’t know

1 Like

That should be interesting change if it ever happens.

1 Like

Pictures can be uploaded into the body of the text so I don’t see why comics couldn’t be done but I think the issue is copyright infringement? As long as it’s all your own work there is no issue but if somebody is posting somebody eases work… that is the problem.

Try it out, you never know until you try.

1 Like

It’s not a feature, but people do post their own comics on wattpad but uploading the images. The issues with it though are that the pictures don’t always load for the readers, will show up out of order, or can be hard to read due to the size of the image display.

1 Like

I think one issue may be data retention, saving text takes very little server space, saving images can take a lot of space over time, which may slow the site down.

As the format is now, you could do a limited comic, images in text body. That said, it may be an absolute nightmare for people using phones and smaller tablets though.

3 Likes

This would be a really cool medium for them to expand to!

2 Likes

I truly think it would be. I have no idea how it would effect the site, if at all. Webtoons and Tapas both have functions for novels as far as I know, but Wattpad seems to be the place to go (and Goodreads) so I’m wondering if any comics on WP would gain traction.

1 Like

I feel like that would be an issue regardless of medium. Stealing anyone’s work is a huge problem. I write and draw my own comics, which is why I ask. But I guess it would be easier to steal images then it would be to swipe text off the internet.

Ugh, that stinks. Maybe they’ll try fixing that? I guess with the sheer amount of people on WP and data, it is a huge task…

True. I know with Webtoons and Tapas, and Comic Fury, they do the single panel scroll. Which I hate, but see how useful it is for mobile. I’ve tried out the side swiping single panel reading experience and prefer it a lot more. It feels much more natural to me because it goes left to right, and I have a learning disability which I think probably makes my experience with infinite up and down scroll harder to handle then the average reader. I wonder if WP would ever start a separate website, like a sister site or branch off, that’s just for comics. I feel like they could make a killing that way. But it might be far too much work.

1 Like

Wattpad really should expand to it. It would give Webtoons and Tapas more competition.

1 Like

Webtoons too???

I knew tapas do novels but i do not remember webtoons do the same. Their original korean site do it though. Is that what you are talking?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure both do but I would have to double check that one.

1 Like

Honestly, I agree for that reason too. But I think WP would need to really up the ante. Like a mobile site vs an online one. Or a website with options for how you want to read the story. I know that’s a huge order, and I imagine in real life any WP sister comic site would be a webtoons/tapas clone, or have the same problems images on WP do right now. But a guy can dream, can’t he?

1 Like

Necroing this thread because today I learned that the @anime Ambassador profile has a reading list for manga/graphic novels. I also came across a cute Comic Strip anthology by @theashesofthephoenix - so yes, I guess comics are possible.

2 Likes

Ooh, thanks! And thanks for surviving the beta test to come help us another day, hahaha.

1 Like