Coming Soon: Home Content Preferences

Hi everyone!

I’m here today to share an update on the new Home feed we launched last summer. In our last big update, we shared that we were aware of many of the challenges you were facing with the previous Home feed experience. These challenges included feeling like you were being recommended stories you didn’t want to see (or that even made you feel like you didn’t belong on Wattpad :scream:) and or that you had very little control over the stories that were recommended to you in Home. Ideally, you told us, you wanted a way to dismiss or indicate your disinterest in certain stories or entire genres.

We also shared some of the long-term solutions we were working on to help address these features.

Well, today, we are sharing a sneak peek of one of those solutions, which will start rolling out next week – a small but oh-so mighty addition to the Home feed experience: Home Content Preferences.

With the new Home Content Preferences feature, we’ll be introducing a way for you to have more control over your Home feed experience. With these settings, you’ll find two long-awaited improvements:

• Include Mature: Now, you decide if you want to see Mature stories on your Home feed (if you’re of age), through a simple ‘on’ and ‘off’ toggle.
  • Blocked Tags: Control which stories you don’t want to see in the Home feed with the ability to block certain story tags. This means stories with tags you select in Blocked Tags will not show up as recommendations in your Home feed any more. Not a fan of fanfic? No problem!

This new feature will be available to all users around the world on web, iOS, and Android over the course of the next few weeks. If you don’t see this option yet on your Home feed on your mobile device, please make sure you have the latest version of the Wattpad app (and you may need to be patient). .

To check out Home Content Preferences, navigate to the Home feed on Wattpad and make sure you’re at the top of the screen. You’ll see a “filter” icon right under the Home feed carousel (if available) – and, if on desktop, the words ‘Content Preferences’ next to it. This will take you to your Home Content Preferences settings page.

In addition, please know that we’re not done — there is lots left we want to accomplish with new Home but we hope you’ll agree Home Content Preferences will get us a lot closer to the vision we shared with you in the fall. We thank you for your patience as we worked on this (we certainly don’t want to break Wattpad by rolling out new features too quickly!). We’re so excited to continue to improve upon your Home feed experience. Our goal is to ensure Home lives up to the vision of making everyone feel more at home (through Home!) on Wattpad.

I love this!

5 Likes

YAY! this is so exciting!!! Thank you so much :partying_face:

4 Likes

Awesome! Here comes pregnancy and billionaire block… fingers crossed it works!

9 Likes

ZOMG THANK YOU! ٩(˘◡˘)۶ :heart:애!:heavy_heart_exclamation:

2 Likes

So far I can only find the Include Mature preference, but I’m excited for the tags one as well!

5 Likes

Thank GOD! No more bad-boy billionaire romances that I have zero intention of reading flooding my home page? Hallelujah!

9 Likes

Thank you

3 Likes

THANK YOU.

It’s been terribly hard to source new reads from the recommendations lately, can’t wait tweak my home feed. :heart:

Question: is it too late to add a “follow tag” option?

10 Likes

Ah, yess! I’m excited to see this feature rolling out soon :grin:

7 Likes

So happy to hear this!! Thank you so much for rolling this out :heart:

4 Likes

Thank you so much!

2 Likes

Yay :yellow_heart:

3 Likes

YES!

First of all: thank you so much, this is seriously going to help, finally, I love it, absolutely, let’s go, I’m going to add 30 tags to my block list right now

And I still have questions.

Mostly: the example used here is fanfic, because I’m guessing you know your audience (^O^☆♪ But when I try to filter fanfic in Search listings, I usually end up just throwing in tags for random fandoms, because people don’t ever tag as “fanfic” or “fanfiction” (try filtering for yourself and see.) So unfortunately this won’t solve one of my biggest issues (fanfiction) simply because there’s no way to accurately filter it yet.

Despite my suggestion: thank you so much! I’ll feel more comfortable opening the app now.

EDIT: I don’t have the filters yet… no!! I’ll have to wait. I’m sure in the next three days we’ll see hundreds of threads about which tags we’re all blocking…

3 Likes

Yes, you’re right. Mature preferences is now launched to most users. Starting next week, Blocked Tags will also start rolling out. Rather than two small updates, we decided to split the difference and announce them together!

7 Likes

Yes, you’re right on the nose in that there’s a limit to how useful the Blocked Tag feature is – it does rely on stories being properly tagged. However, it’s something we’re aware of and hopefully down the road will have a more robust solution for!

As for the filters - do you see Mature at all? You should have access to that now. If not and you’re on your mobile device, best to make sure you have the latest version.

8 Likes

Thank you! I’m hoping for some way of separating fanfiction from original fiction in the future for this kind of ease, though obviously there can be grey areas and some things are arguably neither (eg random, nonfiction, poetry.) So I’m willing to wait.

My Mature filter does work on Home!! I’m so happy. I do have the latest version of the app, so I’m just waiting to be one of the lucky people who gets the tag filters next so I can test to my heart’s delight. Mature filter still doesn’t work on Search, as confirmed by another mobile user recently, but I’ll probably just submit a ticket on that when I get a chance and deal with it that way.

4 Likes

Is there going to be a limit to how many tags we can block?

4 Likes

To be more precise on the mature content. Try and have it further divided. Mature content is much more than sexual. Some people might be looking for a particular mature content. So on top of the toggle on and off feature. There should be a division in which blocks certain types of maturity. Which then an additional feature would be needed to classify a story and its themes, then use this as a way for the program to reference towards, and ultimately block and remove these specifics from the search option.

6 Likes