Copyright?

So, sometimes when I’m struggling with writer’s block, I look up random prompts on Pinterest to get the imagination going. I really liked how one story came out, but I didn’t know since technically the idea came from a prompt, if I’d face copyright issues if I published the story. Can writing prompts be copyrighted?

I don’t think so. I think you’re okay.
I’ve actually never heard of it

1 Like

Writing prompts are ideas. While ideas can be same the plot should be different. So you are safe. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

The actual writing prompt itself could be copyrighted as it is a written work within itself.

However , the story you create from said writing prompt would be your own work, and thus would have its own copyright. In this case you are creating what would be called an “Inspired Work” This is an individual piece of copyrighted work that is inspired by another piece of work. Like most stories we tell.

TLDR: No it would not be in breach of Copyright, and your work would have it’s own copyright.

3 Likes

Yep, what @Pitkus_Nyburus said, the exact wording of the prompt belongs to the creator, but the underlying idea is free to use, as ideas can not be copyrighted.

1 Like

Story telling ideas and concepts cannot be copyrighted. If that were possible, then Joseph Campbell would be able to sue literally every author after the 1960s.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.