COVID-19 impact on sales

No matter what country you live in, I’m sure you’re staying home to avoid catching the coronavirus and controlling its spread. Everyone seems to be going stir crazy. People don’t know what to do with themselves. Many people are sitting home reading books.

So I was wondering if anyone has seen an effect on their sales lately? I saw a spurt on sales for a while, but now it seems to be a lot more KU reads than normal. Of course I have no idea if it’s CORVID-19 related or coincidence.

Of course, with the stock market crash and places of businesses closing and people not working, maybe they have the time but not the money.

Any thoughts?

The stock market crashed? Wth

Is it 2008 all over again?

The Dow is down over 10,000 points. The other day was the biggest one day drop since Black Monday in 1987 (nearly 3,000 points). So yeah.

But that isn’t what the post is about.

1 Like

I’m aware. I just didn’t know the stock market had been affected by the virus…

Oh. Businesses are closing. People will be laid off. Many businesses will go out of business. Certain industries will be crippled (airlines, hotels, travel, etc.). They’re now saying unemployment in the U.S. could hit 20% (I think it was around 3% or less before the virus). Unless something happens real soon, the U.S. will be in a recession (if we’re not already in one). The stock market reflects that.

2 Likes

Wow. I am one uneducated girl, then. Shit’s hitting the fan

Idk about sales, but my state just shut down all non-essential businesses. So I would imagine there’s a pretty big impact.

My best friend can’t work at her salon.

EDIT: I didn’t realize you meant book sales lol. I’m sure they’re going up. People need to find ways to entertain themselves (and their kids) during quarantine.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I meant.

I haven’t published so I can’t tell you, but I heard that a lot of authors have taken the opportunity to increase the price on their books, which I’m guessing might reflect the increased sales they’re seeing.

1 Like

Nope. My “sales” are just as low as they’ve always been.

Ouch! I can see that as taking advantage of the situation. But I guess that’s what marketing is. But hopefully the part about increased sales is true. As I said, I saw a spike in sales and now I’m seeing increased KU reads.

I have one (maybe two more chapters to write in my WIP). I’m not usually in a hurry, but maybe I should rush to get it done. Not much else to do being locked up in my house anyway.

Thanks for the reply.

2 Likes

I’ve seen the opposite. I’m down about 25%, as are most of the authors I hang out with. Reads cratered a few days ago, and sales are oscillating wildly from day to day but overall still down. I’m usually very consistent, so it’s very noticeable.

I think folks are panicking and not in the head space to read, at least not read fantasy.

1 Like

Alec! Sorry to derail the thread, but I’ve been worried about you. How are you doing?

2 Likes

The Australian dollar is at an all time low, which makes US books/ebooks about three times their regular price. So you won’t see any purchases from us except through Amazon.com.au and most of those prices seem to have risen in line with the US prices anyway.

Oh, thanks for the concern, Ximera!

I’m fine. China is better than fine, actually. There hasn’t been a locally transmitted Covid case for many days in Shanghai, and barring a second wave of the flu it looks like China has beaten the virus. The measures were draconian, but, frankly, they worked.

I’m more worried about America right now than I ever was about China. I’ve been just so unbelievably disappointed with the way things have been handled, and I fear for the wave of cases that’s coming in the next few weeks. I feel sick to my stomach, honestly, and I’m really scared for my parents, and my brother who lives in Seattle.

3 Likes

Good to hear from you. I was wondering what happened to you. You said you were going to self-quarantine and then you disappeared.

We’ll beat it in America. Businesses are shutting down and most people are staying home and keeping a distance from each other. The only places you run into crowds is in supermarkets.

2 Likes

The US dollar is also very low now. I price my books in Australian dollars on au. I prefer people buy the book from their local market. My royalties are better (although I get 70%, sometimes I get 35% and Amazon tells me it’s because someone bought it on .com from outside the US). But I just realized that when I release a book, if the dollar is high, the price I set in other countries will always be too high unless I constantly change it which I don’t.

1 Like

I haven’t seen a rise in sales at all, but I’ve seen a slight rise in KU reads. I rarely log into my dashboard, so it’s always a nice surprise when Amazon puts money in my bank account. (˘ᴗ˘ღ)