Cozy Mystery writers?

Hi everyone! I’m Tamara and I write romance on Wattpad. I’m playing around with writing a cozy mystery — a first for me! I was wondering if there are other cozy writers here and if there’s a hangout spot. If not, would you like to create one? :grin:

3 Likes

Hi, Tamara! I’m a cozy mystery/thriller writer on here as well! But sadly, we’re all scattered over Wattpad because they’re so dang hard to find! :joy:
So, there’s not many places for cozy mystery writers to just relax and chat. I tried creating a Discord server as a hangout spot for all the thriller and mystery writers of Wattpad. So far, there’s only 20 members, but we’re all friendly if you want to join and check it out.
If not, I’d totally be down with helping you create one! It sounds really fun and like a nice opportunity! :blush:

3 Likes

whats a cosy mystery writer?

Hi! I’d love to be part of that group!

Cozy mystery is a genre that has a crime (usually a murder) but it’s not gory. There’s also no on-page swearing or sex. Agatha Christie’s mysteries and the Hallmark Mysteries on TV are examples of cozies.

3 Likes

Really? Awesome! I don’t know if I can share Discord links here though… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Can you PM me the link?

1 Like

Yes! Just PMed you! ^-^

1 Like

thank you so much for answering makes so much sense now

1 Like

Hi Tamara! I’m glad you could join our server!
I think the closest I’ve gotten to writing a cozy mystery is Cat Scratch Fever. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I write mostly noir mysteries. I have always wanted to try my hand at a cozy but I know that a cozy has certain requirements such as…

An older woman
A younger woman
A lovable pet
A small town
A simple murder (nothing ghastly or gross. Think murder by being poisoned)
An underline romance (the romance isn’t the main part of the story but the older woman or the younger woman does find love even though most cozies I have read, the younger woman is the one who finds love, but the older woman discovers that the man she is in love with just so happens to be the murderer. Also, the older woman is usually the mother of the younger woman and the themes of “I hate to say, ‘I told you so’” ring all throughout the book

1 Like

Cozy definitely has some strict genre rules, much like romance (which is probably why I’m drawn to it).

1 Like

Hey! If any of you is interested to share his/her work(s):
https://www.wattpadwriters.com/t/share-your-detective-fiction-can-be-fanfiction

1 Like

Cool, thanks for this!

1 Like

I’ve always wanted to deviate and write a cozy mystery but it has been one excuse or the other, or I put in an effort and it just turns into a full fledged romantic suspense :thinking: