Crawl » Finish That Manuscript!

Have you been itching to do a word war but can’t find other people to do one with?

Try a crawl instead!

A word crawl is a type of word sprint that collects a number of word wars, prompts, and sprints into one challenge. Generally themed, participants are encouraged to complete each portion of the challenge in order. Many of these challenges take the form of a choose your own adventure-style story, giving participants mini-rewards in the form of the progression of the story or punishments for failures. They may also be referred to as pub crawls, a reference to the real life activity of the same name from which the word crawls are derived.

Source

So, the way this thread will hopefully work is that your fellow users and I will post challenges using typical words associated with word crawls. It’s up to you to challenge yourself to complete them.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Typical Crawl Words:

Fifty headed hydra -> 500 words in five minutes.

Three Digit Challenge -> Take the last three numbers of a persons’ post score and sprint to that number.

Word War -> Writing against someone to see who gets the most in a set time.

Sprint -> A race to hit a certain word goal

Roll a dice -> Roll a six-sided dice and multiply by the number provided.

___ Words in __ minutes -> A challenge to write a certain number of words in a certain amount of minutes.

3% Challenge: Take 3% of either your post score or current chapter count and sprint multiply it by 3% or 0.03 and then sprint to that number.

Credits go to JaxMayflower.

I have permission to repost this. You may find the original thread here.

NaNoWriMo 2018
Is anyone entering July NaNoWriMo?
What are you up to?
Daily word goals support group.
Underdog writters
Word Wars: Race Against the Clock Thread II
Word Wars: Race Against the Clock Thread II

To get things started, here’s the first official set of instructions:

Step 1) Roll a dice and multiply by 50. Post how long it takes you to reach said count.
Step 2) 500 words in 10 minutes.
Step 3) 3% challenge
Step 4) Sprint to 100 words.
Step 5) Try doing a fifty headed hydra.

This looks exciting! I’m going to give this a go later but I’m not sure if I’ll be able to write 500 words in 10 minutes let alone 5 minutes :sweat_smile:

Well…

1. 2x50 =100 words. That took me 7 minutes.
  2. In 10 minutes I wrote 151 words which isn’t quite 500 :sweat_smile:
  3. I’m leaving this step because 290 ÷ 0.03 = 9666 words and I haven’t got the time for that :joy:
  4. 100 words took me 8 minutes.
  5. In 5 minutes I wrote 43 words so that still isn’t that 500 goal :cry:

That fifty-headed hydra one…

To begin: 1. Rolled 2 - took 2:50 to write 100 words.

Imma start this

1)Okay, so roll a dice: @RobotAmbassador roll 1d6
(I think this works)
Yayyy, it did, so I guess I’ll have to write 50 words and see how long that takes, see ya then
Ummm, I wasn’t paying attention to word count, so I went a little over, but I wrote 94 words in 4 min and 35 sec.

2)Time to set a ten min. timer :slight_smile: I managed 243 words, which is like half of 500 so close enough

3)Post score? What’s that? Welp, Imma skip this one for now.

Okay, I know what it is now so here it goes maths 448x.03=13.44 *
That took like 30 sec yayyy

4)Sprint to 100 words in 4 min and 48 sec

5)500 words in 5 min? :sweat_smile: Well, here it goes, 79 words, Yayyy

:game_die: 1

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @RobotAmbassador display help.

Step 1) Roll a dice and multiply by 50. Post how long it takes you to reach said count.

Ok, so @RobotAmbassador roll 1d6

:game_die: 4

What’s a post score?

noooo but ok. So I rolled 4, and it took me 5:56 to write 200 words. Going onward…

500 words in 10 minutes

Timer on.

313 words.

Now I have to stop.

At least you did better than me :joy:

:wink:

I guess I’ll try my own crawl then.

1. I rolled a dice on google and I got a 5. So, I’ll see how long it takes me to write 250 words.
    a) It took me 7m 25s to write 242 words. Not the fastest but… hey, I wrote words!
  2. 500 words in 10 minutes
    a) Will continue this challenge tomorrow.

I still don’t know what a post score is… lol

Post score = post count

It’s easier to see on the old threads, but you can still see people’s post counts by going to their profile.

Here’s yours:

3% of 448 would be… 13.44 words

Oh, thanks!