Crawl » Finish That Manuscript!

1. You’re sitting at your desk, procrastinating about writing (or not, I dunno, but if you’re on the forums…). Write for 5 minutes at your own pace.

110 words.

1. Eventually you decide to get off the forums and write. However, you can’t seem to get a single word into your story, and so you go to the forums again, discovering an interesting word crawl. You think to yourself ‘yeah why not, it’ll get my word count up’. If you have written less than half of your current average words per day (all of today, not just in this crawl) or if your average is lower than the average you need to write per day, write 500 words. If you’ve written more than half of your current average, write 300 words.

509 words in 15 minutes and 24 seconds.

1. So…you’re writing. Well, you’re actually reading this line, but let’s pretend you’re writing. You’ve passed the second step of your word crawl and you’ve written a pleasing amount of words (I hope). You go back onto the forums page with the word crawl so you can find out what to do next. The next step is a choice. Choose a, b, c, or d. You’ll have to get two six-sided dice. Sorry. They’re available online though… Don’t do the same option twice. If you end up doing all of them, no matter what you get on the last one, go straight to the next step.***

a: roll the dice and add the totals. If your result is six or less, sprint to the nearest 1000 and choose either b, c or d unless you’ve already done it. If your result if more than six, sprint to the nearest 1000 and go to the next step.

I rolled 5, 5 so I am going to sprint to the nearest 1000 and go to the next step. 1000 - 619 = 381.

388 words in 10 minutes and 56 seconds. I now go to the next step.

b: roll the dice and subtract the smaller number from the larger number. If the answer is 3-5, do a 10-minute word war. If the answer is 1 or 2, do a 15-minute word war and choose either a, c or d unless you have already done it. If you end up with a 0, do a 3-digit challenge and go to the next step.

c: roll the dice and multiply the two numbers. If your result is higher than 18, write for 20 minutes and go to the next step. If your result is 18 or lower, perform a fifty-headed hydra. If you fail, write another 500 words to catch up and choose a, b or d.

d: roll the dice and divide the larger number by the smaller number. If the result is not a decimal, write 200 words and go to the next step. If the result is a decimal, write 1000 words and choose either a, b or c.

1. Yes, I just made you do maths. But hey at least it worked huh? Anyway, back to the point, you’ve (finally) passed the third step. Write for 30 minutes for the amount of time it’s taken me to get this far (you know, distractions and stuff, kind of like when you procrastinate). Save the amount of words for later reference.

911 words.

1. This word crawl is actually quite fun (come on you know it is). Step four was a breeze, and now you’re on step five. This time it looks like you’ll need to write fast. Time to get those fingers moving! Write as fast as you can for 10 minutes. Save amount of words for later reference.

300 words.

1. You’ve almost reached the end of the crawl now and your word count is massive (I hope). You write for a bit more, going through a few more steps. Write for 15 minutes at your own pace.

448 words.

1. What do you know, it’s nearly the last step. You decide to check your word count and start to drool at the amount you’ve written today. If you have written less than 3000 words since the beginning of the crawl, write 1000 words. If you’ve written more than 3000 words, write 500 words.

I have written 2,666. As I do not want to write 1000 words in one sitting, I’m going to skip this. Screw you, Word Crawl.

1. Time to celebrate because you’ve written so much today it’s pretty damn amazing! Actually before that you need to finish that word crawl you’ve started. Remember step 4? If you’ve written less than 1100 words in that step, write another 200 words. That is your new total. If you’ve written more than 1100 words in that step ignore the first bit. Add your total for step 4 to your total from step 5 and write that many words to polish off.

I’m going to do the first part, but not the second. 200 words, here I come.

216 words in 6 minutes and 14 seconds.

1. Go outside and relax. Seriously. Your fingers and hands are probably hurting. You need to stay healthy, you know. NaNoWriMo shouldn’t take up your entire life.

Will do!

Total words done: 2,879

I just wrote 2001 words, (Im not sure how long it took me) But it’s good that I got something out, since I haven’t been able to write in over two weeks. ) I didn’t word crawl but I am so proud of everyone that is still here and doing these consistently. School has been kicking my butt.

I’ll take a crack at this one, too. Let’s do this!

Good Morning : Wait, they don’t allow coffee in the library, do they? Sprint to 100 words while you gulp down the contents of your cup.

151 words in 4 minutes and 51 seconds.

Exposé : There are shelves and shelves full of books. So many to choose from! Do a 10-minute Word War while you’re browsing through them.

357 words.

Cover Art : This one looks intriguing. You leaf through to the last page to see how long it is. Take a random number between 350 and 800 and write as many words at your own pace.

I did a random number generator and got 702.

738 words in 21 minutes and 48 seconds.

Sideplots : Somehow your thoughts keep straying today. Focus by giving yourself a modified Three-Digit-Challenge : Look at the bottom of this page to find out how many people are online right now. Take the last three digits of that number and write as many words. Modified: The last three digits of post number.

The Word War thread that I’m currently on has 9292 posts so I’m gonna write 292 words.

358 words in 11 minutes and 2 seconds.

No Talking : The guy over there just can’t stop blabbing, which is somewhat irritating. Interrupt your reading for a 5-minute Word War while you tell him to be quiet.

170 words.

Plot Twist : You stare at the pages in disbelief. This revelation is impossible and somewhat upsetting. Convert your sudden burst of emotions into a furious sprint to 1000 words .

1,081 words, but I didn’t time it. Oh well.

Denouement : This was intense. All that’s left is to follow the story to its conclusion. There are only 25 pages left. Write as many sentences .

In the 25 sentences were 384 words.

The End : You slowly close the book and return it to the shelves, but the story still sticks with you for a while. You write for 20 minutes while you sort your thoughts, then it’s time to go home because the library will close any minute.

535 words.

This was fun. Total words: 3,779

I’m gonna do this running one because I’m a bit behind for NaNo and it’s already been posted.

You joined NaNoWriMo because you wanted to write 50,000 words in a month. It seemed easy in the beginning. Then, somewhere during the middle, you realised life happens: you lose motivation, school is piling on the homework, and somewhere in the distance, your work ethic is slipping away.

Yet, you realise, your pride is too high to lose. Not now, not when everyone around you is crossing the finish line. It’s time you prove to the world that you’re not just another quitter, that you’re way better than everyone else because you wrote a novel in 30 days and they didn’t.

WARM UP

1. No one wants to start writing 10k words right away. Crack your knuckles, let out a breath, and sit down at your desk. Jog a gentle 100 words as you get back into the groove of where your story is (let’s face it, you haven’t done this in a while), and end your sprint mid-sentence.

100 words in 3 minutes and 56 seconds.

1. Once you’re done with that, go for a few stretches. Write the next two paragraphs.

In those two paragraphs I wrote 190 words in 7 minutes and 10 seconds. A bit slow but oh well.

1. Final warm-up: select one song from your favorite writing playlist and write for its entire duration as if you were going on a casual run on the street and were pushing yourself not to stop until, say, you reach the next intersection.

I chose the song Heroine by Sleeping With Sirens (check it out, it’s a beautiful song) and it is 3 minutes and 36 seconds long. Let’s see how much I can write!

I wrote 107 words.

ON YOUR MARKS. GET SET. GO.

1. You never want to go all out on your first lap (as you can see, this world crawl is paralleling a race. You’re running. As if that wasn’t a big enough of a hint: this is going to be brutal) so take it easy. This doesn’t mean slack off. Position yourself in the middle of all the other races and sprint for 7 minutes and 2 seconds. If you get less than 403 words, pick up the pace and write nonstop until you reach the next a thousand and a half.

I wrote 200 words so I’m going to have to write more. I currently have 55,454 words and the next thousand and a half is 55,500 so I need to write 46 words. At least I think so. I’m not quite sure what it means but here goes.

50 words in 1 minutes and 24 seconds.

1. Mama didn’t raise no dehydrated raisin just waiting to drop out of the race in the blazing sun, so take a brief swig of water. By brief, I mean keep drinking for five minutes. Once that’s done, get ready to pick up the pace again: you have 20 minutes to get 1,000 words. You’re slowly falling behind and I’m not going to take it easy on you.

I’m probably going to get close, but not quite 1,000 words. Let’s get this over with.

588 words. Just over halfway.

1. That was fun! Except, all that momentum and speed caused your shoelace to untie. You fall and collapse and scrape your knee and babies are crying and you’re screaming and someone from the stands is wailing and in the distance you hear explosions, and yes, like you feared, there I am: I am standing in the crowd, yelling at you to get up as fast as you can and do 500 words in 5 minutes. There is terror in your eyes, but you’re not weak, are you?

I am definitely weak, but I’ll do this.

158 words.

1. If you completely just bombed that, walk it out for 50 words while you think about what you can do to better your form, then sprint 250 words to make up for it. If you were right on task, keep a slow pace and try a thirty minute sprint. Go as slow as you want, but don’t stop. Don’t overwork yourself either. As soon as the other racers catch up, we’ll be going at it again.

I totally bombed it, so I’m gonna write 50 words and then 250.

72 words in 2 minutes and 21 seconds. 255 words in 6 minutes and 12 seconds.

1. To close out the first third of the race, do a fifty headed hydra . As in, picture something gruesome with fifty heads is chasing you.

194 words.

THE MIDDLE IS THE HARDEST PART

1. Take an hour and push through with as many words as you can , again without stopping. Your legs are burning up by now, and each step feels weak. You’re lacking quality, and you know it, but guess what–you didn’t have to be in this position, and yet you are, because you are the one that signed up for NaNoWriMo. Don’t tell me that there’s no point to it, because there is. Instead of complaining, you need to use that valuable time to keep going. At this point, you’re writing just to get ahead. Quantity over quality hurts, but it’s better to be caught up than have nothing at all to edit in a few months.

1,903 words.

1. Stop. Reflect on what you’ve done so far. We all know the rule: never ever reread. Well, guess what? Time to reread. Complain all you want, but I want you to read all those cringe-worthy lines of garbage that you just wrote. Does that hurt? Does that make you want to quit? Are you tempted to close out of the document right now? Don’t. Instead, learn your lesson to never do this again.

I have reflected.

I know how close I am to the end, but my fingers are sore so I’ll do the rest of this tomorrow.
Words for this part is 3,817

Let us continue!

1. Shake off your inner disappointment in yourself, wipe away those tears, grind your teeth, and get ready to write some more crap as you try to catch up to those running in the front yet again. Aim for 3.5k in 45 minutes. 45 minutes is up and you’re still not there? No excuse not to finish that 3.5k. In fact, punish yourself with an extra 100 words.

I wrote 1,125 words. I’m gonna do the rest of the 3.6k now (adding the extra 100 words).

3,627 words. Don’t know how long it took because I didn’t time it.

CROSSING THE FINISH LINE

1. Face it, you don’t even want to win anymore. You want to drop out. But I want you to win. Take a final sprint of at least 500 words. You’ve been doing this crawl all day, I know it. Suck it up, punk, and deal with it. You owe me. Most of all, you owe yourself. Don’t let all that time spent be for nothing and finish off strong.

556 words in 14 minutes and 15 seconds.

COOL DOWN

1. If you’ve reached this point, congratulations. Write a final celebratory paragraph as the crowd at the finish line cheers your name.

46 words in 1 minute and 6 seconds.

1. You see me approaching you just as you were soaking all of this in. Your heart rate increases–is that even possible at this point??–but then you realise I’m not here to make you write anymore. I pull you in and give you a tight hug, crying as I pat your back the way a dad pats his son’s back when the son, the quarterback of his high school football team, scores the winning touchdown. I’m so proud of you, kid.

2. In the midst of this hug, however, you realise it’s too good to be true. I’m letting you off way to easy. This can’t possibly be the end. Haha. You’re right. I hope to see you run this same race tomorrow, nerd.

And I am done! Words for this part: 4,229
Words for the entire thing: 8,046

A cool crawl I found that I’m gonna do next

Solar System Crawl

You have stolen some sort of ~magical~ spacecraft with the ability to travel through space at a speed faster than any previous vessel. Now the people who built it are after you, and mad. Your mission is to traverse the Solar System, achieve escape velocity, and escape into interstellar space.

To achieve escape velocity from the Solar System, you must first achieve escape velocity from Earth. Escape velocity for Earth is about 25,000 miles per hour. The highly superior technology of this spacecraft allows you to drop a couple of zeroes, so write 250 words in order to achieve the speeds needed.

You’ve made it to the Moon! To fuel up for the trip ahead, you decided to descend to the Moon’s surface and collect some helium-3. But you’d better do it quickly, or you’ll be caught! Write 175 words in 10 minutes or less . If you fail, just “reset” reality and try again.

All fuelled up and ready to go, you head inward. You do a flyby of Venus. Sprint 100 words to avoid having your course altered by its gravity.

You fly by Mercury. But what’s this? The Messenger probe has been taken over by the people chasing you! Sprint 200 words to escape!

That was a close call. You’re nearing the Sun now. Sprint for 15 minutes to do “barrel rolls” and evenly distribute the Sun’s heat across your spacecraft.

You’ve swung around the Sun, and now have a nice gravity assist helping you out! Write 100 words to take a breather from all that excitement.

You’re flying by Earth! Sprint for 10 minutes to avoid being detected.

Next up is Mars! Write three hundred words in representation of the rocks Barnacle Bill, Scooby Doo, and Yogi.

You are now entering the asteroid belt. But what’s this? A cloud of tiny asteroid chunks is headed toward your ship! Use Random.org to pick a random number between 1 and 10 . If the number is more than 5, your ship was severely damaged. You must write 600 words in order to fix it . If the number is less than 5, you have survived. Write that many hundred words in celebration .

You feel it before you see it; or rather, your ship does. Its instruments pick up a large gravity field nearby: Jupiter. Write four hundred words as a tribute to Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, and Io, Jupiter’s 4 largest moons.

Saturn, the ringed planet, is next. But, uh-oh! Your ship has gotten too close to Saturn’s rings, and is now being bombarded by high-speed rocks and ice particles. Sprint 350 words to escape.

Next is Uranus. Stop snickering! As penance for your immature jokes, sprint 500 words .

Now, Neptune comes along. You’re so close; you can feel it! Your excitement gets the best of you; you decide to sprint 100 words .

But Neptune was not the final part of the Solar System. Next up is the Kuiper Belt! You fly by Pluto. Choose a random moon of Pluto (Charon, Nix, Hydra, Styx, or Kerberos). However many letters are in its name, write that many hundred words.

You’re so close you can smell it. You streak past the Kuiper belt, and past Eris. You do a ten-minute word war to pass the time until the Oort Cloud.

Your ship seems to have come equipped with a “Screw Reality” feature, you realise. You reach the Oort Cloud sooner than expected, but are on a collision course with a comet! Do a ten-minute sprint . If you write between 100 and 200 words, you narrowly avoid hitting the comet. Thankful to be alive, you write 400 words . If you write 300+ words, you miss the comet entirely. If you write 200-300 words, you avoid the comet, but your course is altered. You decide to write 200 words for some reason. If you write less than 100 words, you fail miserably and crash into the comet.

Finally! You’ve reached full escape velocity, long since passed the heliosheath, and are now, finally, exiting the Oort Cloud. You do a song war for the duration of this in celebration. Congratulations, you have successfully escaped the Solar System!

@RobotAmbassador roll 1d10

:game_die: 2

@RobotAmbassador roll 1d5

:game_die: 2

You have stolen some sort of ~magical~ spacecraft with the ability to travel through space at a speed faster than any previous vessel. Now the people who built it are after you, and mad. Your mission is to traverse the Solar System, achieve escape velocity, and escape into interstellar space.

To achieve escape velocity from the Solar System, you must first achieve escape velocity from Earth. Escape velocity for Earth is about 25,000 miles per hour. The highly superior technology of this spacecraft allows you to drop a couple of zeroes, so write 250 words in order to achieve the speeds needed.

285 words in 7 minutes and 19 seconds.

You’ve made it to the Moon! To fuel up for the trip ahead, you decided to descend to the Moon’s surface and collect some helium-3. But you’d better do it quickly, or you’ll be caught! Write 175 words in 10 minutes or less . If you fail, just “reset” reality and try again.

178 words with 3 minutes and 9 seconds to spare. A bit slow but oh well.

All fuelled up and ready to go, you head inward. You do a flyby of Venus. Sprint 100 words to avoid having your course altered by its gravity.

139 words in 4 minutes and 18 seconds.

You fly by Mercury. But what’s this? The Messenger probe has been taken over by the people chasing you! Sprint 200 words to escape!

245 words in 8 minutes and 11 seconds.

That was a close call. You’re nearing the Sun now. Sprint for 15 minutes to do “barrel rolls” and evenly distribute the Sun’s heat across your spacecraft.

382 words.

You’ve swung around the Sun, and now have a nice gravity assist helping you out! Write 100 words to take a breather from all that excitement.

109 words in 3 minutes and 34 seconds.

You’re flying by Earth! Sprint for 10 minutes to avoid being detected.

264 words.

Next up is Mars! Write three hundred words in representation of the rocks Barnacle Bill, Scooby Doo, and Yogi.

304 words in 9 minutes and 51 words.

You are now entering the asteroid belt. But what’s this? A cloud of tiny asteroid chunks is headed toward your ship! Use Random.org to pick a random number between 1 and 10 . If the number is more than 5, your ship was severely damaged. You must write 600 words in order to fix it . If the number is less than 5, you have survived. Write that many hundred words in celebration .

I rolled a 2 so I need to write 200 words.

200 words in 2 minutes and 40 seconds.

You feel it before you see it; or rather, your ship does. Its instruments pick up a large gravity field nearby: Jupiter. Write four hundred words as a tribute to Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, and Io, Jupiter’s 4 largest moons.

407 words in 12 minutes and 6 seconds.

Saturn, the ringed planet, is next. But, uh-oh! Your ship has gotten too close to Saturn’s rings, and is now being bombarded by high-speed rocks and ice particles. Sprint 350 words to escape.

408 words in 9 minutes and 44 seconds.

Next is Uranus. Stop snickering! As penance for your immature jokes, sprint 500 words .

526 words in 14 minutes and 29 seconds.

Now, Neptune comes along. You’re so close; you can feel it! Your excitement gets the best of you; you decide to sprint 100 words .

143 words in 5 minutes and 16 seconds.

But Neptune was not the final part of the Solar System. Next up is the Kuiper Belt! You fly by Pluto. Choose a random moon of Pluto (Charon, Nix, Hydra, Styx, or Kerberos). However many letters are in its name, write that many hundred words.

I chose Nix (using a random generator) so I need to write 300 words.

308 words in 9 minutes and 22 seconds.

You’re so close you can smell it. You streak past the Kuiper belt, and past Eris. You do a ten-minute word war to pass the time until the Oort Cloud.

305 words.

Your ship seems to have come equipped with a “Screw Reality” feature, you realise. You reach the Oort Cloud sooner than expected, but are on a collision course with a comet! Do a ten-minute sprint . If you write between 100 and 200 words, you narrowly avoid hitting the comet. Thankful to be alive, you write 400 words . If you write 300+ words, you miss the comet entirely. If you write 200-300 words, you avoid the comet, but your course is altered. You decide to write 200 words for some reason. If you write less than 100 words, you fail miserably and crash into the comet.

I wrote 292 words. Let’s do the extra 200 words.

220 words in 6 minutes and 22 seconds.

Finally! You’ve reached full escape velocity, long since passed the heliosheath, and are now, finally, exiting the Oort Cloud. You do a song war for the duration of this in celebration. Congratulations, you have successfully escaped the Solar System!

I’m gonna skip this coz I don’t wanna listen to a solar system song.

This was fun. Total words: 4,715

Fifty headed hydras:

Attempt one: 137 words
Attempt two: 148 words

Another Crawl

The Egyptian Tomb Crawl

You are an archaeologist, Dr. I. M. Klevver, working on a dig site in the Valley of the Kings. Suddenly some of the local workers come running toward you.

• Roll a die to see how many of them are in the group.
    • Odd number – write 100 words in order to hear their news.
    • Even number – write 200 words in order to hear their news.

They believe they have found the entrance to a new tomb never excavated before.

• Do a 20-minute word war while you walk with them to the location of the new site.

Hey, who do you think you are, Indiana Jones? This is the 21st century. Nowadays, you can’t just start digging whenever you want. You have to wait until the representative from the Supreme Council of Antiquities arrives to approve the new excavation.

• Roll one die to see how many hours it will take for him to get to your dig site. Multiply that number x 100, and write that many words while you’re waiting for official approval.

• Oh, no! You’ve developed a case of ‘Mummy Tummy’… we told you not to drink the local water! Write as fast as you can for 5 minutes while you, er, make a run for the privy.

You have been approved to start excavating! How many workers do you have available to clear the tomb entrance? Check the Three Digits Thread to find out. Write that many words while they clear away the sand, rubble and debris.

Check with the workers. Can you get to the entrance yet? Roll one die .

• If the number is even, you’re good to go.
  • If the result is odd, they’re not quite done yet… Do a five-minute sprint while they finish hauling away the last baskets of rubble from the entrance.

You are now able to be lowered down with a rope to the actual door of the tomb. Suspense: whose tomb is it? You can see the original seal placed on the tomb by the priests of the Theban necropolis. Roll one die to see the result.

If your roll is:

• 1, 2, or 3: The tomb belongs to a known pharaoh whose tomb has been lost since the 1890’s! Celebrate! Write 200 words .
  • 4 or 5: The tomb belongs to someone completely unknown to Egyptology. This is one of the most historic finds of the century! Write 450 words .
  • 6: The tomb belongs to Ankhesenamun, the widow of Tutankhamen whose burial has never been found until now. Write 600 words while the SCA representative recovers from a dead faint.

At last, you are able to enter the tomb. How many chambers does the tomb contain? Roll two dice and add the values to find out the total number of chambers, and write 100 words while you explore each chamber in the tomb to see what is there.

Are there wonderful tomb paintings in the burial chamber? Sprint to the nearest 1000 words while you marvel at the beautiful art that hasn’t been seen since the tomb was sealed 3500 years ago.

How many gold artefacts did you find inside the tomb? Use the Random Number Generator at Random.org, and generate a 3-digit number between 100 and 999. Write that many words.

Is there a mummy still in his/her sarcophagus? Do a ten-minute word war to find out.

• If your total is < 500, the mummy and the sarcophagus are gone. Only the canobic chest with the internal organs remains there.
  • If your total is > 500, congratulations! You have found an intact royal burial — the first since Tutankhamen! Write as many words as you can while listening to this song.

Hope you enjoyed your expedition to the Valley of the Kings! Post below and tell how much you got written!

@RobotAmbassador roll 1d6

:game_die: 1

:game_die: 6

:game_die: 6

eufnuegnibgwnwn