Crowd-funding Publishing

Hey y’all,

my name is Kate and I recently launched a campaign on Publishizer to sell my book. I wanted to start this thread to introduce some people to the site and to the idea of utilizing crowd-funding to get published. I’m more than happy to answer questions about the process, how I got into it, why I chose it versus the traditional method, and if it’s the right path for you and your story.

Trying this post again because the last one was flagged for link. Just trying to be helpful…

4 Likes

I’ve done quite a few crowd-funding for publishing, but I’ve never used Publishizer. Most of my projects have been on Kickstarter, and I used IndieGoGo for one. I’ve never even heard of Publishizer - is it new?

I’m not quite sure how new it is (I believe it’s been around since 2015?), but it is unique in that it’s much more focused on getting in front of publishers instead of raising funds, which is awesome!

What is Publishizer? I’m not familiar with it.

It’s a crowd-funding website specifically for books! An author creates a book proposal and then runs a campaign for 30 days in order to garner pre-orders. During that time, publishers can express interest and check out your campaign. Once the campaign finishes, your proposal is pitched to several publishers! It’s a similar process to what happens once you have an agent, but without the agent!

1 Like

Wow, that sounds incredible. Something to maybe think about when my book is done and polished as much as it can be polished. I’ll look into it though

1 Like

hahah I felt that way as well, but the coolest part about publishizer is that your manuscript doesn’t even have to be finished! You can have 0%, 25%, 50%, all the way up to 100% completed! It’s enough to just sell your story idea and then work on the manuscript over time with a publisher.

Woah, wait. I have a question.

If people make preorders… and a publisher doesnt want your book, then what? Are they refunded?

Are people only charged if the book is picked up?

2 Likes

I would be curious to know how many success stories Publishizer has with fiction.

1 Like

Same here. I have questions about all those preorders if the book is 50% complete and gets picked up by a publisher.

2 Likes

Same that’s a good question. I like the concept behind it, but is it sustainable for fiction?

1 Like

Great question! There are 4 different types of publishers that you are pitched to. Service publishers where you pay them to print your book, hybrid publishers which are mix between service and an independent publisher, then the fourth is a traditional high-royalty paying publisher. Each has benefits and each has cons. So technically, every person who submits a proposal gets at least 4 interested publishers, ranging from service to independent, and if you manage to knock out higher amounts of pre-orders (over 200-500), then traditional publishers show interest. People are charged once they pre-order, but if an author decides to not want to publish anymore or with anyone for any reason, then everyone who pre-ordered is refunded.

brilliant question. In the past, they’ve been known for more non-fiction stuff, but as they are now growing, I believe they are trying to pull in more and more fiction writers. There haven’t been too many “success stories” I would say in terms of finding the next JK Rowling on the platform, however, it is an amazing way to get exposed as an author and writer. Regardless of your journey, getting published is a huge feat to accomplish and this is just another path to pursue.

Honestly, only time will tell! They’ve only been around for a handful of years, but they have connections with publishers and are an established, international organization. So, your guess is as good as mine!

I do have a few books that seem to be “marketable” but I wouldn’t want a service publisher though. Aren’t those kind of like vanity presses?

I like the concept though. I’m definitely checking it out once I have the chance to get at a PC and not a phone :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hahaha yes, I’ve heard them called something along those lines as well. For me, I know that I won’t be signing a deal with one regardless of the outcome of my campaign, however, they can be super helpful for authors just beginning and to get your books into eBook format. They can also connect you with editors and stuff like that. But it’s not for everyone, especially if you seek to publish on a larger scale.
You definitely should check them out and see if it’s right for you and your stories! If you have any questions going forward, please feel free to message me!

You listed three types, not four. Is there another?

Yes, “service” are vanity publishers and are to be avoided like the plague. “Hybrid” is legit, BUT there are only a few hybrid publishers that aren’t vanity publishers in disguise. (And by a few, I literally mean two, three, four.)

I’m not sold on this model, honestly, BUT if it does well, I could be convinced. I’m just not convinced that it’s viable for fiction. They call themselves “agents.” I want to know who they are, how long they’ve been agents, and what kind of contacts they have before I would trust them to rep my work.

And 30%!!! That’s twice what literary agents earn. No frickin’ way I’m doing all the fundraising and then paying them 30%, especially since I haven’t seen anything there that they’re doing that I couldn’t do myself or by querying a regular agent.

1 Like

Are the publishers who check publishizer legit? Like, publishers that otherwise require agented manuscripts and provide advances (and don’t require authors to put up any money of their own)? I kind of find it hard to believe that established publishers would express interest in unagented, unfinished manuscripts.

3 Likes

They have a page called “Case Studies.” All but one of the books there appear to be non-fiction. The novel is a literary novel that was placed with a small publisher that doesn’t require agented submissions and doesn’t have a bookstore presence.

In other words, their one fiction example is nothing the writer couldn’t have done on his own… but it cost him 30% to do it.

2 Likes

does this website cost anything upfront? a membership fee or anything?