Defeating a Goddess

So, I’ve introduced a goddess in my draft and she’s evil. The evil goddess is Greek but in the world I’m working with, all pantheons and religions are equally real.

I have an outline that goes something like this:

• Protagonist finds out her engagement ring is magical (written)

• Goddess shows up, places curse on protagonist (written)

• Protagonist goes to volunteer at an event she helps with annually to get her mind of bad stuff (in progress)

• Protagonist finds clues and encouragement among her fellow volunteers

• After the event, Protagonist goes to Church with her mother

• Protagonist talks to Priest and/or Jesus and gets more clues

• Protagonist goes to Tibet to train with some Buddhist monks and unlock all the powers of her ring

• Protagonist defeats goddess with the power of her ring

I’m currently stuck on what kinds of clues and encouragement her fellow volunteers might provide. Any suggestions?

Any quotes/passages from myths, legends or holy books that come to mind?

A good creativity game might be to pick a random passage and see how to make it work.

For example: the Pearl of Great Price has 5 books. I used an RNG and got the Book of Abraham. That has 5 chapters; the RNG gave me 5 again so I go to Abraham 5. It has 21 verses; the RNG gives me 12. I get this:

So, how to make that fit the story? So many ways you could. She is presented with a lot of good choices, picks a bad choice, and suffers consequences. Or there is something with literal fruit - she’s offered a fruit that looks amazing but has to decide whether to eat it or give it to a starving child. Or, she gets a vision of Eve which provides insight into her situation. Just brainstorm ideas based off random verses and keep the ideas that resonate.

Just use whatever holy book is most fitting for the situation (IDK what holy book Buddhists use)

2 Likes

Oh, this is great! I didn’t think of grabbing something random. I like it :slight_smile:

You CAN mix mythologies, but without proper research you can easily make a mess. Churches are Christian and wouldn’t likely have much info on Greek mythos, neither would Monks in Tibet, not unless these Greek Gods and Godesses wrought havoc world wide and created a need for other religions to contain information about them.

If so, I’d probably look into Comparitive Mythology:

Here is a link that shares the similarities between world wide mythologies. I’m betting there’s some awesome stuff in here for you to draw inspiration from:

1 Like

Ok, first question. Define “defeat”. Defeat as in kill? Because the first thing I would point out were the Greek gods were immortals. So how she is defeated would be important here. If I was a reader, and the goddess was defined as Greek, and you told me she died, then I’d be like WTF.

2 Likes

That’s a good point and I have not hammered that out yet. Imprisonment or banishment, maybe. I have it so she and her pantheon left Earth in the hands of the monotheists for a while and she wasn’t pleased with what her minions reported to her, so she returned. The important part to the protagonist is reversing the curse, though.

1 Like

Thanks! Those look like great resources!

1 Like

Oh, I really like the part about younger gods defeating older gods. I was thinking that could explain why I don’t have every god that mankind ever thought up running around.

I mean, you could also rewrite the mythology too. Sort of like, people think the greek gods were immortal, but that’s not the case …

If you go that route, I’d just make sure to explain it if you decide you want her end to be more final. I’m only saying that there is a sizable portion of the fantasy readership that would be put off if such an approach were not fully thought out. Not even saying majority. Only sizeable.

If you want to see really interesting ways to deal with annoying immortal gods, I’d suggest The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne. I think his approach to various pantheons in general is spectacular.

1 Like

There is also the idea that only a god can kill another god, so one thought is to turn the protagonist into a goddess in her own right.

1 Like