Discussion on Paid Editors

Musician major here so i can appreciate the reference. :wink:

Trés Cool! Do you have a particular instrument? What sort of things do you fancy?

Piano, and she is a demanding instrument lol. Classical and Contemporary, Jazz, music local to my island etc (though ive played more classical than anything lol )

Oh my God! I did the same thing when I was in grad school. I remember one BRILLIANT man getting his PhD in a field I know nothing about who was blown away by my ability to catch errors and make his prose clearer.

Haha! I actually dropped out of my one-and-only grad class in creative writing because I couldn’t stand the pretentious teacher and students. Frankly, I’m glad I did, because the literary writing that program specialized in would have been a lousy fit for me.

My poetry won some regional prizes. A former prof urged me to apply for a fellowship at a top-notch university, which I got. I felt seriously outclassed and misplaced in the grad poetry workshop, but I caught on fast, and gained the ability to analyse and dicuss work in an intelligible way.

The last of three workshop leaders, a fine woman poet, liked me and my work, and encouraged me in a way that has stayed with me. Toward the end of the year, notes showed up in our boxes urging us to apply for further academic fellowhips and positions, but I was homesick and had a job offer in Wyoming, in the mountains. So I went home.

They were really pissed.

What is a style sheet? As a wanna-be editor, I do some stuff for free for an author here, and I want to know all I can about editing. If this is an important thing I haven’t learned yet, I don’t want to miss it.

Style sheets are critical because they help you create a CONSISTENT manuscript. They identify, for example…

–The correct way to spell each name.
–Whether a word is hyphenated or not.
–Whether a word ending in s is made possessive with just an apostrophe or with apostrophe s
–What numbers are spelled out
–How text speak should look on the page
–How thoughts and flashbacks are handled

There are many, many more things that could be included.

Oh, this. That makes so much sense, and is probably a very good idea to have. Is it the same for what special words are capitalised and how? Because it’s easy to be inconsistent in that department

You have no idea how much I have bugged Crystal with this one. I think she’s gone positively insane with my consistent nagging everytime I saw a number not written out

Yes. Anything that could possibly be done in more than one way can be an entry in a style sheet.

Thank you <3

There are many style guides out there.

The AP Style Guide is typically used by journalists, although each newspaper, magazine, etc. most likely has their own inhouse version of it.

The Chicago Manual of Style is typically used by publishers of fiction and non-fiction. Again, each publisher typically tweaks it for their own needs.

So for example:

AP = x…x
Chicago = x . . . x

AP = 15-year-old
Chicago = fifteen-year-old

AP = doesn’t use the Oxford comma
Chicago = uses the Oxford comma

The point is, choose one (or make up your own) and follow it to be consistent.

I only mentioned 2 style guides. There are others by industry.

I see… It looks like I use a mixture of both. Thank you for answering.

Out of curiosity, the Oxford comma is like:
“Apples, pears, and oranges.”
Right? The comma after ‘pears’?

I think I might be derailing the thread

Yes, the Oxford comma is the final comma in a list and is placed before and / or. Sometimes it’s also referred to as a serial comma.

Minor correction: Before the and/or. Apples, pears, and oranges.

Total typo :laughing:, whoopsie. This is why I shouldn’t reply to things when I’ve just opened my eyes. I think my brain was thinking “after” the last item in the list, but went in a total different direction LOL.

1. it’s a list of things in grammar and style that vary from determined style manual (Chicago in US usually, Hart’s everywhere else in English-speaking world)
  2. the list includes words that are particular to the book as well as agreed-upon hyphenation and capitalization
  3. a list of every proper noun’s correct spelling and capitalization and page first found on
  4. a list of character info (usually attached to the proper noun list), including but not limited to body description, age, relationships, etc.

Was this a question? For Chicago, every number under 100. If a number starts a sentence and would normally appear in numeral form, rewrite the sentence so the number doesn’t start it.

Exceptions would be something like technical codes or numbers used with metrics.

Really? They taught me in school to write out every number up and with twenty, then every 10 until 100, then every 100 until 1,000, then every 1,000 until 10,000, then every 10,000… You get the drill

That’s why there are many different style guides. You have to the the right one for books, which is CMS in US.

We are supposedly taught British English, but even the teachers constantly mix it up with American. It’s a mess, honestly, and now I’m left with a mixture of both