Disney's "The Princess and the Frog" casts white actress as Tiana

Another thread here got me thinking: what if they made a live action version of the animated film and cast a blonde-haired blue-eyed Caucasian girl as Tiana? Would you care? Share your thoughts…

Yes, because I believe that more POC representation is needed in books and movies. Little white girls and boys can look at Disney’s catalog and see hundreds of representations of themselves already. The same cannot be said for any other group, and Disney creating a black princess is one step in the right direction for increased representation to counter the implicit and subtle (and sometimes explicit and not at all subtle) racism that American children of color experience.

31 Likes

I agree with this.

2 Likes

IDK… I don’t see any surfer girls from Malibu represented in Disney. But then I’m not into princesses because they look like me, but more based on the kind of characters they are. Their appeal is not skin deep, in other words.

That said, I’d oppose making Tiana white for the simple reason that the original animated character is not, so it would be a betrayal of fan expectations–just like this Ariel nonsense.

2 Likes

Yeah, someone should really do something to address the oppression of white surfer girls from Malibu.

23 Likes

You did not just ask this.

18 Likes

Honestly the live-remakes need representation and all the elements that the animated version had

2 Likes

Agreed. It seems like I can’t go anywhere these days without somebody trying to make me feel guilty about my parents’ genes or wealth.

:woman_facepalming:

8 Likes

I’d probably be slightly ticked off, since Tiana being a person of color is quite important regarding her backstory.

11 Likes

You have to be trolling. You have to be.

12 Likes

Also true.

2 Likes

I’m sorry what

11 Likes

I’d really only object if the character’s skin color is somehow important or relevant to the story.

Otherwise you can make them blue for all I care. xD

8 Likes

Elsa could be blue. She’s icy.

1 Like

True dat.

Considering POC are still consistently being erased off of narratives and the big screen, yeah, I’d be pissed. Considering Tiana’s race was a major factor of the story, yeah, I’d be pissed. Considering how easy it would be to hire a black actress for her role, how much of the movie industry is centered on caucasian folks, how little animated movies we have with POC leads, especially black female leads—yeah, I’d be pissed.

I don’t think it’s fair to compare this hypothetical situation with Ariel’s current situation. Different cultural context.

25 Likes

As for a Black Ariel… I’m not sure how I feel about that. It’s okay, I suppose, but they’ll have to move the setting somewhere where that’s possible, like off the coast of Africa, maybe? I’d like to see that.

I’m getting too hung up on the details lmao.

Examples? (Honestly, I haven’t heard of this.)

biologically any mermaids being white does not make sense at all so I’m into ariel as a black girl

4 Likes