Do not quote this thread, please.

Second theory: people from Quebec can enter if their stories are written in French (our main language). As the rules are different when it is not in English. to be confirmed

First theory:
So while I know we all noticed this on the English profile: opened worldwide exception of Québec, Canada.

And yes, this is unfair and+, but I’ve found on the French account these messages: it’s the language that matters, not where you’re from so you can enter

Can we enter, can we not? A lot of confusion when no one says the same thing and I believe we didn’t get proper explanations. The laws should not have an impact on this contest, but if they do in some way it hasn’t been mentioned in the Wattys book at least. As all it said was that Quebec was excluded. Don’t you think this is unfair to everyone living in Qc? The Wattys are the biggest contest on WP…

6 Likes

Would you know why Quebec isn’t allowed to enter?

1 Like

I don’t know why it’s written in the English book (and none of the others). I believe no one received a proper answer to that, but according to the French profile we can enter…

2 Likes

I think it was something about the Quebec contest laws being different or something or another.

5 Likes

But when reading well the laws do not concern this Wattpad contest and we could actually participate. I believe there was a misunderstanding when they talked about it…

2 Likes

Hi,

Sorry, this is actually incorrect. The guidelines we have posted state that anyone living in Quebec is unable to enter the Wattys, and that’s due to local laws. Sorry for any confusion there.

Regards, Gavin

5 Likes

Why does the French profile said it was okay? Besides the laws actually shouldn’t have an impact with this specific contest (we looked at them closely)

2 Likes

That was an error as I’ve noted. Our guidelines note the same as you posted in your original comment.

3 Likes

What about the previous years and some of us winning? Because I’m confused

1 Like

Things do change from year to year I’m afraid.

3 Likes

I see… well that’s even more unfair…

We all have been looking for a proper answer for days. I still don’t understand the specific reasons why Quebec is excluded… which parts of it doesn’t work compared to before, why it hasn’t been written in the Wattys book (next to the exclusion) to avoid all of this confusion from everyone living in Qc.

2 Likes

Been hard getting answers from you Wattpad… especially when I’m trying to contact you everywhere about this… :face_with_monocle:

Only need to look at the comments next to that line to see how it doesn’t provide enough details…

2 Likes

It might have to do with some of the prizes being inclusion into the Paid Stories program and a publishing contract from WattpadBooks? It’s the first time winners can actually make money (in a way) by winning so I’m thinking that might be the reason why the rules are different this year. Just my guess though, I’m not familiar with the laws of Quebec or the reasoning of HQ.

2 Likes

I thought about that one too :thinking: I’m really just trying to understand. All it said about Quebec in the (only the English) book was that it was excluded (without more details) :crazy_face: and there seems to be confusion between the Wattys accounts if one says we can enter and the other disagree

1 Like

This might help: https://www.thebalanceeveryday.com/why-are-so-many-competitions-void-in-quebec-896835

In general Quebec has a lot of laws that make it very hard to run large scale contests in the state so most contests exclude them.

2 Likes

Yeah, we can barely participate in any contests (can’t have high hopes). I just wish that for this one we could’ve had a bit more details, you know? It was left pretty vague. Especially when it’s the first year that we can’t participate at all.

2 Likes

I was going to ask the same… currently in Quebec— mood!

2 Likes

Yeah that really sucks.

1 Like

Why don’t they do something similar then for just Quebecois? It sucks!

1 Like

Right? Anything would’ve been appreciated… if only to show that we aren’t totally excluded.

And… what if they change things up next year and Qc is allowed again… who would want to enter after this? I mean, this really sucks.

I don’t know if I would’ve entered this time, but I still believe it’s unfair (no matter the laws).

1 Like