Do you care about what Wattpadders in your city are reading and writing?

It’s a Hackathon day at Wattpad and we want to hear from you! We are interested in building a strong sense of community by allowing you to discover Wattpaders around you!!
Would you be interested in discovering stories in your area and seeing what Wattpaders around you reading? For example, you would be able to see the stories written by Wattpaders in your city and support local writers. You can also discover stories that are trending within your city/country/community.

Do you think this is exciting? What do you like/dislike? Any whacky ideas?
How might we harness the power of your local Wattpad community around you? Any crazy ideas will be appreciated!

Do let us know your thoughts!! :heart:

Edit: great feedback so far on not wanting to be identified on the map, we hear you loud and clear! We’re curious if the aggregated data would be interesting to you? A heat map of popular romance stories from authors nearby, or who the local authors are that are popular, or where the readers are nearby? etc etc

This is a great idea. I’ve always wondered if there were other Wattpad readers or writers near me.

11 Likes

I do care. Sometimes I feel like I’m the only one in my city who’s on Wattpad. Knowing what others are reading and possibly being able to talk with them makes me feel grounded with my community, both my Wattpad community and my city community

13 Likes

I wouldn’t be comfortable with people knowing what city I live in; I like to keep real life and Wattpad separate. So I would hope that there’s some disable option available, if this becomes a thing. I wouldn’t mind seeing what books others nearby are reading, though, if it didn’t show who these readers were. Perhaps there could also be an option for seeing what books are set in your city/state/country.

24 Likes

short answer’s no…
long answer is: not really, no :rofl:

(yes, i am fun at parties)

9 Likes

Minha cidade tem 5k de habitante então eu não tenho ngm pra me preocupar.

3 Likes

I don’t particularly care what Wattpadders are reading, but I’d sure be interested in what the elite are reading. Like what books are on Billie Eilish’s iPad right now? I wanna know! ヽ(^。^)丿

6 Likes

I personally like the idea behind it, but only if I can turn my location off and not be found this way. I know many people would rather not be found by those in their own community.

8 Likes

What is that ?

It would be cool actually ! This is fun and interesting ! But only if a Wattpader can chose if he wants to enable or disable the geolocation or chose by himself the place (like I don’t want everyone to know exactly where I live… it can be dangerous) x)

6 Likes

What is this hackathon I keep hearing about

2 Likes

Hmm, I’m anonymous so… I don’t know. Wattpad also isn’t very big in my country :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

True, I would like to be as to choose the level of info I share. Like just my country? Maybe my province?

6 Likes

Yeah I would feel better to indicate my country, province or even the biggest city near to me, but not my exact location !

3 Likes

@nick could you enlighten us, as to what a Hackathon is? :goat: :fire:

4 Likes
6 Likes

The answer is here : Hackathon @ Wattpad HQ !

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is an event where we come together to dream of awesome ideas for our community!

4 Likes

This could be cool! I’d be interested though a little scared :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Personally, I don’t really care, as my preferred genres and subgenres are wildly different from the norm in my country. But it would be neat for others, maybe, or maybe even finding users who are in an X km radius of you

Wait no don’t do this creepers could use this

8 Likes