Do you change manuscript name from Wattpad one for Query?

The same question as in the title.

I would

1 Like

Not if you’re doing it to conceal the fact that it’s already been show to (a subset of) your target audience. Some agents and publishers don’t care if your manuscript has already been on Wattpad, but some do, and they won’t be happy when they find out you’ve deceived them.

6 Likes

Interesting, you bring this up. What if the manuscript is highly different, changes and all, from the version on Wattpad? Say, because the version on Wattpad is just a rough draft.

1 Like

You tell them the first draft is online on wattpad for feedback

5 Likes

Ohhh, okay. And you would tell them that after they choose to represent you or before? It sounds weird, but the way i’m thinking about it, makes sense in my head lol.

1 Like

Some of them ask about it in submission forms, so I always put ‘draft on WP for beta readers, can be removed’

3 Likes

Before. Always be upfront with them.

6 Likes

My thought, don’t lie, so if they ask tell, and if you get an agent tell them everything, but don’t advertise the fact that it’s on Wattpad unless part of your sell is the number of followers etc. If you’ve self published it on Kindle etc be up front with that and know before hand that self publishing it will be a non-starter for 99.7% of agents.

1 Like

No, I don’t intend to self-publish on Kindle unless i get laid off. I just want to send a novel to a few agents.

Best of luck. I find, quarytracker has the best list. Don’t pay, just use the free version and always check the agents’ site. Also don’t confine yourself to the agents’ submission guidelines; send in what puts your work in the best light.

2 Likes

Thank you, i’ll work with that list. Mostly, I just wanted to try direct submission to Harlequin/Impulse etc, but might as well add a few agents.

2 Likes