Do you get free periods in 11th Grade (US High Schools)?

writing
help

Yes, you do! It just depends on what classes your taking and if you need to drop things (free period, lunch, etc)

This is random but do you get lunch after 3 or 4 classes?

I get lunch during 7th period, which is the last lunch. So I have to wait six periods before I can eat, usually I bring snacks to eat throughout the day.

woah that sounds late, what time is that?

It all depends if you have finished the classes you need for a certain subject. But I’ve usually had six to seven classes a day and have only heard of seniors getting a free period.

In my high school, seniors could apply to get sixth or seventh period off. We were on a block schedule, and sixth and seventh period were the last classes of the day. Basically, this meant that every other day, you could leave about two hours early. You would have to be on track to graduate and it could only be the last class of the day - no free periods in the middle of the day. You were expected to leave campus - if you tried to go to the library or whatever they’d tell you to leave (I’m assuming it’s just because my school had a lot of problems with fighting, and they were afraid people would wait around to jump other students if they were on campus but not in class.

There was also something called work experience where if you had a job you could go to work for your last class some of the time and get school credit for it.

At my school (in the US) all 11th and 12th graders have a three hour free period and go home early if they don’t have electives or more than two classes that day.

I have that as well.

Dang. You only have to take three years of math, two years of PE, three years of history? Wow. I feel bad you have to Take PE, but am jealous of your other ones.

When I was in high school, you could have free periods, but only if you would have enough credits to graduate so you didn’t have to take any other classes. Our average class amount was 7 classes a day. My brother is a senior right now and he has 4 but only because he’s got enough credits to graduate so he gets his last 3 classes off. He goes home during lunch.

Ok. My current school is really weird with their schedules and stuff. Monday’s, Tuesday’s, and Friday’s are considered full days with about 45 min for 8 classes. Wednesday’s are called Odd days where you go to all your odd class periods (1st 3rd 5th and 7th) with each class being about 90 minutes long with an early release bell at the end of the day.

And Thursdays are considered Even days which is basically the same as Odd days, except you go to you even numbered periods for 90 min each.

The only difference with Thursday is that there is a certain class called PAT class right after your 2nd period and before your 4th period. I don’t remember how long those classes were but people would go to their respected PAT classes based on what academy they were in. I never really understood why they gave us the PAT classes. I don’t even remember what PAT stands for. All I remember is I was in Art and Ed Academy and the teacher would just drill us about getting our grades up the entire time. That’s as close to a free period as I’ve ever gotten.

But my personal schedule is even weirder! Since I was slightly behind in credits because of the one year of homeschooling I did, I went into a program that basically had me take a bunch of tests, get a job, and I was done. (I passed with flying colors btw.) Anyway, it basically ment that I was all but graduated. Didn’t need any more classes and am still waiting to walk with my class in May on graduation day.

A quick back track, I take orchestra as a first period class (which can be a hard class to take at 7:20 in the morning). A few more details: I volunteered to be student conductor at the beginning of the year when I still had full classes. (Only seniors can be student conductors and no one else was raising their hand so it was a spur of the moment type of deal) ANYWAY, since I didn’t have to go to school any more, my wonderful orchestra teacher was a bit worried since it would be difficult if she had to choose another student conductor. So with a bunch of talking to my counselor and stuff, it was decided that I could stay in my orchestra class. I’m not technically on the roll, but nobody cares since everybody knows me. Subs have gotten confused more than once and it is hilarious.

Either way, that is my over complicated story of how I only have one class, that I’m not even enrolled in (meaning being on attendance list) and go home right afterwards (cause I drive.)

Free periods are rare because most 11th and 12th graders either take electives or Running Start. But only seniors are allowed to have free periods. However, there is a thing called a Study Hall, it’s technically a free period but most use it to catch up on late work.

yeah they’re all in the same order. e.g. (this is just an approximation of my schedule senior year since my brain is full of rock facts now) on A days I had jazz band, creative writing, and then aviation for third and forth periods. lunch was after second period. everyone got in their cars and tried to run each other off the road. on B days, i had history, math, my teacher’s assistant period (which was basically a free period since i only went like half the time), and then orchestra for fourth. on the next A day i would have jazz band, creative writing, and aviation in the same order. same with B days. if you’re smart, your free period is during fourth period so you can just go home early.

Yep. Some don’t (those are what you need to graduate, some colleges require more), but most of us just do the bare minimum. And it’s different sciences. Biology freshman year, chemistry sophomore, physics junior if you choose to, and AP Psychology senior year, again if you choose to.

Free periods aren’t really a thing in my state as far as I know. At my school, we do have time twice a week where we can go get extra help from our teachers if we need it.

It depends on the school.

In some places, you can have a “free period” where you can do whatever you wanted. In some places, this can also mean that you can leave the school for that time being. But this doesn’t happen everywhere.

Otherwise, the closest thing to a “free period” would be study hall. Study hall is where you go to a certain class (although, it doesn’t have to be a class—sometimes, it might be the cafeteria or library) and you do whatever you want. Most people work on their homework or extra assignments they missed. But you don’t necessarily have to do this. You can draw, read, or play on your phone. The only thing is that you have to be quiet so you’re not disrupting other students.

It depends on the school and location. There are two different schedules. You have period schedules which give you 6-8 classes a day, each class being about 30-45 minutes each. Then there’s block schedules which are only four classes a day (and the classes switch between terms and semesters), but these classes last an hour and a half each.

It depends on the state. Each state requires you to take certain subjects for the year so you can earn a specific amount of credits. If you don’t take a certain subject or fail that class, you’ll have to retake it again in later years.

But, overall, you basically take one core class per subject. So, for Ohio, they require:

4 credits for English (so one class a year).

Half credit for health (so at least one class out of all four years).

4 credits for math (so one class per year).

Half credit for PE (at least one class out of all four years).

3 credits for science (so you take three classes out of all four years).

3 credits for social studies (you take three classes out of all four years).

5 credits for electives (so you take at least five classes of electives).

Ohio also requires you to receive an instruction of economics and financial literacy, and complete at least two semesters in fine arts.

It differs on the school.

I had lunch during my third period (I had four classes) so it was around 1:30pm. But it wasn’t after my third class. After my second class, I went to my third class and we would work on stuff for at least 45 minutes, then the lunch bell rang and we would head down for lunch for a good 20 minutes, then went back to class for another 45 minutes or so until my fourth class started.

I’m currently a sophomore at a school in California, but all grades are expected to have about the same number of periods. Most people at my school overload with 7 periods, but if you complete a required course over the summer then you either have a free period or just fill in with another class. As long as you meet all graduation requirements in the given time period (Example: For me, I completed it in Freshman year, but the World History credit has to be completed by the end of sophomore year), then a free period can be chosen whether it’s a random free period or a 6th (most people leave early if this is the case). Sorry for the word overload, but I was hope this was somewhat helpful.

It’s around 1PM, i mean it’s better than having 3rd or 4th period lunch

Okay, so it seems like most people here have block scheduling. I didn’t have that in my high school. My school had seven classes if you include lunch in the schedule. There are no free periods. Seniors are able to apply for ‘work study’ if they have a job and that’s where they can leave earilier than everyone else. If you take online classes, then you can either come to school late or leave early.

My school had to have…23 or 24 credits to graduate. Four years of math, four of science, four of social studies, four of language arts. You had to have a half credit for health and a half credit for pe to make one full credit. It was required to take at least two years of a foreign language because most colleges require that. Foreign language is counted as an elective and you had to take two electives a year.

Lunch was 4th, 5th, or 6th period. But I had a big school (4000 kids). I hope this helped sort of heh…

My highschool had modular scheduling. The day was broken into 15 minute mods. Classes be made up of a number of mods for 30 minutes, 45 minutes, an hour or whatever. There were gap of time during the day. Students planned their own schedules so there would be a gap somewhere for lunch, if a student planned it that way. It was also open campus. This gave a lot of flexibility. I’d eat lunch where-ever it fit, often late in the day or eaten quickly while passing between classes. I competed in sports and often traveled to for competitions on Fridays. This was common at my school, and I believe it’s still that way, often enough that teachers plan for it. I think the classes were a sort of menu. You needed a number math credits, science credits, english credits, and electives. You could pick which classes you wanted to get these credits. You could also get waivers for credits. Those who competed in sports often waved gym credits. This was Aspen, Colorado. A number of students went on to become Olympic athletes, or notable in mountaineering. Student athletes went to practice after school and didn’t get home until late. although hockey and skating had weird practice hours. Possibly working with athletic competition was the reason for open campus and modular scheduling.