Do you have any advice?

I’m sure there’s a lot of amazing and experienced writers using Wattpad so I ask of you to share your wonderful wisdom to the up and coming generations of authors.

I don’t know why I wrote that in that tone :rofl:. But seriously, any advice?

Specific advice? Or just like advice in general?

I always like to remind myself that first drafts are allowed to suck, so don’t get stuck on them. Write it out so you have something to shape when you edit later.

And editing. You need to edit. Everyone needs to edit. Even famous authors. Editing is your friend!

2 Likes

General advice

And thanks! That’s great to know!

My advice would be not to compare. A lot of writers on Wattpad have a tendency to look at the success of other WP writers and compare. It has the potential to not only put you in a terrible mood, but it can also have an effect on your writing.

Remember that every journey is different. So though that one author has 10 thousand followers, they might be on the last leg of their journey. Meanwhile you’ve got 1 thousand and are only just beginning.

Numbers are just that–numbers. Don’t let them determine your success level. And definitely don’t let them stop you from writing.

Just keep writing! ^.^

4 Likes

Do your own thing. Invent what you love. Create and mold your story into something you’re proud of. First drafts are a starting point to your journey. And editing later and not whild writing is the most important thing otherwise you fall into a trap and get stuck in a very horrible loop which hinders your creativity

1 Like

Amazing quote!

2 Likes

Don’t take abuse from readers. I see so many authors trying to reason with jerks in the comments when they could just delete the abusive comments and mute the account. Imagine if all that emotional labor went into writing instead.

2 Likes

Solid Advice To Live By: Never get involved in a land war in Asia.

Okay… lmao

1 Like

Super late, but here goes;

• Write what you wanna read.

If you’re bored, your readers probably will be too.

• Write the first draft for you - edit it for the readers.

Meaning; have fun with the first draft. Write it any way you want with as little or as much descriptions, for example, as you’d like. This is about you having fun and doing it just the way you want to. Then when you go into editing, this is where you start refining it, making it as enjoyable to read as it was for you to write.

• Read, read, read.

Read as many books you can in your genre - and outside of your genre. You never know what will inspire you.

• Research.

Never skip research day, bruv.

• Don’t let the numbers get to you

As a Wattpad writer you’ll soon realise there’s a thing called reads and votes. But essentially these numbers are useless and mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. They do feel amazing, and they can be a great motivation; but don’t get saddened if they don’t plummet with record speed. Published authors have tried out Wattpad and failed - but have done well in the real world. So if your book flops, don’t get discouraged. It might just not be right for Wattpad. Or it’s one of those that take time to get established.

• Always keep writing and remember to enjoy it :heart:

If it ain’t fun, then what’s the point?

1 Like