Do you have important books in your story?

Important books in your book? Like a Bible or a Grimoire? Or a historical textbook? Or even a real book like the Iliad? Or a diary? (diaries count) What do you have and what is it’s function?

Just for discussion :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a spell book written in the Ancient Tongue by the elves in one of my stories and it’s a major plot device in the sense that it will influnce the fate of the entire realm. Through the ages it has found its way into the hands of the humans, who have lost the ability to read it. Now it has returned to the elves and since it can be used both for good and evil, human and elves must work together to avert a war with catastrophic outcome.

The ironic thing is that the elvish MC hates books and doesn’t really want to have anthying to do with them. And just to make this even more awkward for him, his human love interest is a librarian, but he doesn’t know that detail about her yet.

One of my favourite book inside a book-stories was The Neverending Story by Michael Ende, where the protagonist himself finds out that he is part of the story he’s reading. I loved that book as a kid.

2 Likes

I have a grimoire in my book The Darkside. I didn’t come up with an original name as I do with my monsters and worlds.

1 Like

Huh, I do that more than I realized.

Well, in LSD, I have the Academia Drakonnica: A Guide to the North American Dragon, which one of the characters is writing as the story progresses. It’s quoted at the beginning of each chapter. I just wrote all my world building notes like I was a researcher to save time… though not all of the entries are accurate.

In another story I’m outlining, I’ll be using journal entries the same way, which will give some commentary between chapters on the nonhuman protag and his culture from an outside perspective. It will be less sterile than the dragon one. Much more…opinionated. There is an older journal as well, with more…religious importance.

I have a few more, like A Commoner’s Guide to the Empire, but I’m already boring myself.

1 Like

@floranocturna @LoneStarDragon @JansenSharon

So have you guys actually written the book that is within your book? (if you have already kind of answered this question, nvm :stuck_out_tongue: )

In my current t WIP, there’s The Guardian Codex which is a rule book for the magic system I’ve built.

Basically, the idea is that those w hi o wild magic must take a guardian to keep them from straying off their path and being cursed. The guardian receives some boons according to the blessings recieved by their charge and must endure trials along with their charge if they try to obtain a blessing.

1 Like

There are a few - each of the religious houses have scripture. The ones that come up most, though, are my main character’s study books (Vernias’ Guide to Demons and Draskell’s Runic Manuals) and his sketchbook. There’s also a sketchbook belonging to a secondary protagonist, but its role and origin haven’t been revealed yet.

I kind of wanted to make art projects out of the Guide to Demons and the sketchbooks, but I haven’t started yet. Would probably be something I did towards the end of the series or after I finish it as bonus content. A companion artbook might be pretty cool. It’s something I would consider, anyway.

1 Like

Yes. Snippets from the equivalent of the Bible in my fantasy WIP along with other quotes from various people are provided at the start of each chapter to add a little hint of flavor to the story. And sometimes to add contradiction to the events that might be being seen as unfolding.

More than countable.

The most popular epic perhaps is The Asolar: a book that recalls the story of the Kingdom of Lyrush and the Iokari Empire.

The Lyrushi created a weapon that can rip a hole between the mundane plane and the realm of demons, and then open it in enemy territories to devastate their enemies. But there’s just one problem: these portals can’t be closed by easy means, meaning the only way they can be closed is by brute force.

So soon the Iokari Empire gets hold of this spell, and then both these powers point these weapons at each other. But if they invoke it together, the number of demons spawned can overwhelm the world and destroy their civilisation once and for all.

And the story is the lament of Asol, the mage who created this spell. He laments about how he thought it would revolutionise warfare and stop the waste of mortal life. Never had he thought what he designed would bring the world literally on the doorstep of total description.

1 Like

Well, in my story, the important book in my world - the Archives of Thallium - is the actual story I’m writing.

That is, my story tells the first tale in the Archives found in the world. The Archives of Thallium, found in the Gray Palace and available for perusal to all citizens, contains stories of great and influential figures. Of Dragon Riders and Shadows therefore recounts the tale of one of these figures.

2 Likes

In my story “Alleyways” the main character, is a psi-vamp who becomes disorientated whenever she feeds, so she keeps a notebook with simple instructions for herself. It’s not a great book. In fact it’s a little Columbo notebook with a pencil attached by a piece of yarn, but it’s pivotal to the story.

All books are pretty important in my story. History texts have been written by the High Court and paint the nation’s history in heroic (false) colors. Old novels that have survived the Water Wars provide clues about the Ancients and their culture. But most of these stories have been destroyed.

Luckily, my MC has the power of memory, so the books become her tools to piece together a patchy timeline.

2 Likes

That sounds really intriguing!

1 Like

I have a book called Dawn’s Song Which is the people’s origin story. It tells of them battling the harsh storms to reach the island and the first village built on the island.

2 Likes

Have you actually written the book?

1 Like

No, but I have written passages of it.

1 Like

Oh, I love this topic!

I have a lot of books, and reference them all the time – my protag is a scholar/nerd with a penchant for collecting rare manuscripts, so he’s always reading something. Most of his reading is mentioned in passing – religious texts, reference manuals, scientific texts, novels. There’s an important scripture – think of it as a banned religious text – called the Book of the Damned that plays an important function in the plot. It’s a book of prophesy that’s difficult to translate and interpret. It’s tropey with minor twists, and I never get into any actual passages.

The Most Important Book in the story is a compilation of oral tradition about the nation’s first king. The stories are collectively called the Chronicles, and everyone knows them – but not everyone knows all of them. They’re epic poetry kind of in the tradition of the Odyssey or the Iliad. Although the Chronicles serves as a talking point for minor worldbuilding reveals, its real function comes in bringing the two lead characters together and giving them a common interest.

It also gives me a reason to have them quote love poetry at one another. :eyes:

4 Likes

There is no really important books, although real life books do get mentioned LOL. I wish there was but for the moment, there aren’t any important books.

UNLESS…

I forgot about the akashic records and it’s a huge friggin library and there are ‘books’ of sorts in it. And they all contain everything that has happened and is happening. They do not contain what we call the ‘future’ until it happens. So wait. Does that count? :thinking:

1 Like

If it’s what is considered a book in your world, yes :wink:

Have you written any of those yourself or are your thinking of writing them?

1 Like

I can’t write the akashic records books LOL. I can only write pieces of it that pertain to the story tbh. LOL

1 Like