Do you only read stories that are marked complete?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

I’m really curious about this. I’ve noticed the vast majority of people avoid stories that aren’t completed, and I understand why. I’ve got a story I’ve been posting for a few months now, and it is complete but not all posted yet. I’m debating on whether to just post the entire thing at once if it will bring in more readers, but I’d like to do some research first.

Edit: I wonder how many non-writers get on the community page, and if that also will affect these results.

The only time I avoid stories that aren’t complete is when it says Last Updated June 22nd when it’s like November 3rd.

Pretty much, if it has been recently updated, I keep an eye on it, if it seems to be updated regularly, I read.

12 Likes

The same goes for me. I won’t read ongoing if the last update is over a month ago, but if it’s updated regularly I’ll read it if it’s interesting :relaxed:

5 Likes

What others said. I rarely read completely works, I just mainly make sure they update regularly. I can’t wait so long for updates that I have to reread the book to understand the new chapter. I should be able to remember what happened the last chapter when they update…

3 Likes

Long term, it’s probably better to just keep on a regular uploading schedule (as opposed to posting it all straight up). As far as I’m aware, books that have new uploads are favoured by the algorithm and are more likely to be promoted.

4 Likes

I rarely read in progress stories since so many die, but I have done so occasionally.

On a side note, I have noticed that when I mark a book as complete that its reads really jump. Probably from those who don’t want to read an in-progress story in case it never gets completed.

6 Likes

Basically what the other users said.

I’ll throw in that some Wattpadders add books to “Uncompleted, will read when finished” reading lists or something along those lines.

4 Likes

I can only read completed book because of memory issues.

3 Likes

No, of course not. Most stories I read are being updated at a similar pace to mine.

2 Likes

No, I don’t, however I most often read completed stories. I’m more likely to read a completed story, unless I know the author and how they update.

2 Likes

I don’t exclusively read completed books, but I do tend to put off on starting a book that looks interesting if it’s only just begun. I put it in my library and check back on it when it has more chapters. I tend to wait until it has about 7-10 chapters before starting. If it’s a book I know I’ll like, such as a sequel to a story I enjoyed, I’ll wait even longer before starting because I know I’ll read it quickly and I hate waiting for updates. I’d rather wait when I don’t have a cliffhanger than start and end up at a tense spot.

1 Like

I’ve now tried with two books that weren’t complete and I love them, but goddammit, I’m not made out for serialised reading. I forget what happens and then I’ll have to read the previous chapter and it all becomes a mess.

So yeah, I only read completed works now on Wattpad.

1 Like

If the story has a good amount of chapters, like 18-20, I will read it.
Also if the story has not been updated for like six months, I won’t read it.
There are so many stories in my library that haven’t been updated since 2016, and I am still waiting.

2 Likes

I used to read ongoing works, but then more often than not the writer either stopped updating or it took months before they updated a chapter. So unless I know the writer has a reputation of updating regularly, I stick to completed works now.

1 Like

I find it fun to read a story chapter by chapter as it’s being written. It’s kind of like watching a tv show every week.

1 Like

I’m a completed story/book reader. Exceptions are new writers who ask for feedback. I have trouble with serialized TV let alone stories with temperamental updates.

1 Like

I made it known straight out that my book was completed before I started posting it. I’ve had some success with the weekly posting schedule. It gives me time to go back and edit the chapter with new eyes before I post. I’m nearing the end of my book with 28 chapters and 164,000 word count. I have two other books in the wings with multiple chapters written. I still plan to take a short hiatus after the last posting of my first book to focus on the 2nd and 3rd books. (written simultaneously for reasons lol) I’ve let my readers know right along that this was the plan and they are expecting it. Be in contact with your followers. Let them know where you are at progress wise.

2 Likes

After reading an on-going story in 2013 which had been abandoned since, I try to avoid them even if some has been updated regularly. The author of that book regularly updates before she stopped. You’ll never know…

1 Like

I read on-going stories pretty often, mostly because I just want to support others who are just starting out posting their books here (cause I’m like that myself, so I can sympathize, hahaha). I’ve been burned a few times, but well, that happens.

2 Likes

Yes, I do only read completed stories because I have a very bad memory and can’t keep up with the ongoing ones - and I am afraid to never see them completed - BUT I add the ones interesting me to a dedicated list and read them when they are complete :yum:

1 Like