Do you stick to a certain sort of mystery?

I have friends who only read noir, or male tough-guy fantasy stuff (Jack Reacher) or mysteries with a female mc, like Sue Grafton’s alphabet series. Or mysteries set in certain places (the American West).

Do you have a strong preference, or will you take a chance?

I don’t really have a preference. I do like me some bad ass female mc though!

My favourite series at present is the Dublin Murder Squad set by Tana French. Each has a different narrator and setting, which diehard fans of the typical mystery series tend not to like.

The mystery/thriller I posted on WattPad has a trailer trash refugee punk rocker (recreating herself as a forest ranger) as mc. She’s almost a much of a bitch as I am. :werewolf:

Not mysteries so much as Conspiracy. That’s not to say that mysteries can’t be large in scope, but things that involve false flags and stuff tend to be … a different kettle of fish.

I love all kinds of mysteries! So eh, I don’t have a preference. As long as it keeps me on my toes, I’m good. :wink:

I’m currently reading a crime thriller called the Outsider by Stephen King and it’s about a little boy who gets murdered and a detective tries to solve the case. It’s very interesting, and the mystery just keeps me going, because the top suspect has DNA all over the crime scene and on all the evidence as well, however, he has an alibi - he was elsewhere, with other people, and they have him on tape at the same time the kid was murdered! The question is: did he murder him or was he framed?

Or perhaps, is there more to the story? :smirk::flushed::scream:

I just like when a book opens with a big death and the book is just about who did it and why. But there can be a long list of people who could have done it.

Or my personal favorite spin: it being unclear whether the victim is really dead, or if it’s part of a large conspiracy at play.

I think this one killer, in 20 Hooks, would actually make it look like the victim was still alive, with a kind of Buffalo Bill like complex, and doubled as a computer hacker.

Over time the killer instinct was deemphasized, and the computer hacking was the focus.

I’m a whatever interest me kind of guy, really. Not particularly choosy

I like all kinds of mysteries, but I tend to go for police procedurals, like the Harry Bosch novels by Michael Connelly. My favorite from that series is The Drop, which is friggin’ amaze-balls, but my favorite book from Connelly is a non-Bosch book, The Poet. I’m telling you, The Poet is friggin’ ungodly awesome sauce!

At one time, I was very attracted to locked room mysteries,A la Lord Darcy (By Randall Garret) which are both Victorian alternate world Pseudo historical fantasy and (magical) mysteries.(Bane publishing). I write some genre SF Detective stories, and of course, I like what I write. Also GLEN COOK’S Private detective series*

Sweet Silver Blues *
Bitter Cold Hearts *
Cold Copper Tears *
Old Tin Sorrows
Dread Brass Shadows *
Red Iron Nights *
Deadly Quicksilver Lies *
Petty Pewter Gods *
Faded Steel Heat
Angry Lead Skies
Whispering Nickel Idols *

(Current Publisher: ROC Fantasy)

I avoid mystery series with gimmick titles, such as the Sue Grafton alphabet books. They seem more like book products rather than real writing.

The mysteries I enjoy tend to focus on character, and how it changes with time and circumstance. Right now (awaiting the next Tana French mystery) my favourite is the Quirke series by Benjamin Black (a pseudonym for John Banville, a prize-winning Irish writer).

Generally I prefer a variant of “How Catch Em” for my historical influenced “Crypto-Anarchism.”

Thinking in terms of bookshop shelves (how quaint), I guess my mysteries would be ‘cozies.’

They’re mostly set in a small town (Jackson, WY, an international ski destination) and the surrounding mountains. The cast is a group of female friends, but they’re young and play in a riot gr-r-rl band. Nothing cozy about that lot.

I also like writing stories with more than one villain, and cross-purposes, which can make the events hard to unravel. Rather like life itself.

I enjoy more mild type mysteries. Like Stephanie Plum mysteries or this Amazon Book series I found by Elise Sax (Matchmaker mysteries). I’m kind of feeling like my niche isn’t popular at ALL on Wattpad. Every time I try to find something similar to my writing or tastes, it all ends up being very extreme and sometimes morbid. I guess I’m used to mystery focusing on mystery and not the gore and mature themes that have come with it. I have zero desire to read those or write that way. I kind of doubt my story will take off inside Wattpad, but it may have a place outside. Ive still got a ways to go on my story so we will see if readers just need more to work with!
I also enjoy those mysterie shows like Psych, Monk, The Glades, Rizzoli and Isles, etc. I’m not big into Law and Order, especially not SVU. As a mom and a want it’s a little hard for me to watch or read.
Good luck to everyone!

Just finished the third mystery in a series, starring Consolata Mary Browne, who is sort of like me, but mostly not. I’ve written it, my focus has shifted from plotting to character: I’m most absorbed in what happens to Mary and her friends as they mature. The third book comes down from the mountains and is set in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA.

There’s no murder to jump-start the action, but rather an accretion of odd events. It begins with an abortion and ends with a wedding.

I prefer cozy/traditional mysteries, as I don’t like gore or violence, especially toward women. And mysteries with a female MC, but on this I can flex if it’s otherwise in my ballpark.

I don’t think I can tell you what kind of mysteries I like, but I can tell you what kind I hate: cop mysteries. The cop character is always the same: 40-something year old bum who has a drinking problem because his wife/family was murdered and he never found the killer. The captain is understanding but on their last straw with him. He starts to figure out the mystery but everyone thinks he’s crazy or whatever. They’re all the same. Old, grumpy old drunk man. Bleh.

Funny– I started this so long ago that I didn’t recall doing it.

Anyhow, the cop-character description fits the sort of Wyoming/Western mysteries I loathe. The MC is a rural sheriff or a game warden or the like.

I write cozy mysteries with un-cozy characters and scary situations.

These days none, but I used to stick to a “How Catch Em” format, usually revolving around a blend of serial killers and hackers (often the same people.) It later evolved into my non mystery format.

I write mysteries that have more than one villain. Often, there are two or three, working at cross purposes.

That offers a lot of initial puzzlement, and seems to work out in a more realistically interesting way.