Does any one know a lot about Insurance companies? Please respond and help a friend out

I am currently working on a new book but i can’t seem to go further without some information. Please help

If you are a bit more specific about your question i.e. the relation to publishing you might have a better chance of getting a response?

1 Like

i don’t understand

What is your exact problem? Your question is very vague so we cannot help you, sorry

i want to know if it is possible for an insurance company to cheat a life insurance customer and how.

Most life insurance policies won’t pay out if the insured person commits suicide. So a common trope is that the insured person is murdered, but it looks like suicide, and the insurance company refuses to pay out. Then the family has to prove that it wasn’t suicide to get the money.

Most policies also won’t pay out if you die as a result of doing something illegal or reckless, or as a result of war. (There are special policies for people who engage in extreme sports.)

Insurance companies usually insure millions of people, so the extra profit they’d make from not paying out on one person’s policy (when they should pay out) isn’t worth the hassle. The only way I could see the company cheating a customer would be if they found a way to cheat lots of customers (which doesn’t always make for an interesting story) or if someone who worked at the company had a grudge against the insured person or a member of their family. Then the employee might falsify records to prevent the policy from paying out. Or, if you want to be really melodramatic, they might murder the insured person and try to make it look like suicide or some other scenario that the policy didn’t cover.

1 Like

Also possible that the payout may be refused if the insured person died as a result of a medical condition that was known but was not disclosed when the policy was taken out.

Yes. It happens for other forms of insurance too. Say, your house burned down because you left the oven on, but they deny the claim because you didn’t tell them you didn’t have a burglar alarm. Or you told them you did have one, but it wasn’t working at the time of the fire.

I’m not sure it’s legal for them to take that approach with life insurance where I live (the UK). At any rate, on the few occasions I’ve taken out life insurance, I’ve never been asked anything except age, sex and whether I smoke. Maybe they’re allowed to ask my doctor whether I have any conditions that might kill me before they make a profit on the policy…