Does anyone else have trouble writing during a semester?

Hello, I’m a college junior right now and I have an awful habit of not writing at all during the semester. I know part of this is because I’m busy with projects and what not. There’s definitely times when I could have sat down and write but just didn’t. Does this happen to anyone else? If so, do you have any tips for overcoming it?

I took this semester off to do a co-op and I found myself writing a ton after work, so I know my problem is specific to student life.

As a university student, I completely understand what you’re going through. Writing is really difficult for me as well during the semesters. This is why I try to write on the weekends when I have more free time. It doesn’t always work but I feel like it’s better than nothing. I also always write down ideas that come to me even if it’s during a class. I don’t want to lose anything that will help me with my writing. Hope this helps!

1 Like

I like your ideas, especially writing down anything that comes to mind. Weekends are usually crammed for me but I think I’m going to try scheduling a specific time in my calendar to write next semester (maybe that’ll work till midterms hit :nauseated_face:).

I used to have that same problem during my first two years at college. However, now that I’ve found my way back to Wattpad, I feel really motivated to write, so I just plan when I’m going to write. I think it’s much harder to be consistent if you don’t schedule your writing into your weekly routine. Set yourself a goal of a minimal amount of words that you want to write per week, and strive to reach that goal. It should help. :blush:

1 Like

I think I’m going to try that, thanks for your insight :smile:

1 Like

You’re welcome! :smile:

It was hard to find time back in college, especially because I worked part time. When I did have time, my brain was often fried, and I just wanted to watch something or sleep.

During this time in my life, I rarely posted any of my work online because I didn’t want to put any extra pressure on myself. So I would just sit down at the end of each evening (unless I had an exam to study for), and during my lunch hour, and write a few pages at my leisure.

1 Like

That pretty much sums up how I feel during the semester, and yeah I think I will try to schedule time. I’m sure whether I intend to or not my story on here will end up on hold when I go back to school, but hopefully I’ll make some improvement offline.

side note: I found your story (Obelus) on undiscovered gems a few weeks ago and really loved the first couple chapters! It had a great hook, I’ll have to pick it up again.

1 Like

OMG thank you!! XD It’s coming along. Very surprised and flattered by the response so far. Science fiction is not my forte. lol.

And yeah I feel you. Good luck with your semester and your writing process!!

1 Like

For me, it seems that for the first half of the semester, I’ll go on writing sprees but after halfway through the semester, I lose motivation/get stressed/become busier/etc.

I’m in that spot right now. I want to write but motivation is low now

1 Like

I feel that, when midterms hit I can’t be bothered to do anything but study.

1 Like

I’m horrible about studying :joy: But the amount of assignments pick up, especially now since my university has transitioned online. Two of my professors have increased the amount of our work because a heavy part of our grade was showing up to class (so tbh I’m not too upset at them - more at the situation) but another reduced our workload which I’m so thankful for

Oh yikes. My university also went online but I lucked out being on co-op this semester. It’s crazy, is your school going to pass/fail grading? I think mine will be.

1 Like

We are but on discretion of the professor. None of mine have expressed they are doing it

Interesting, that doesn’t seem fair. Best of luck to you, I hope you get through this semester unscathed.

1 Like

It’s not as bad as it may seem. The worst part is feeling like my home has been invaded :laughing: Home was the place to get away from work and part of school but now they’ve been incorporated to be doable at home

Thank you :blush:

1 Like