Does anyone else have trouble writing during a semester?

Hello, I’m a college junior right now and I have an awful habit of not writing at all during the semester. I know part of this is because I’m busy with projects and what not. There’s definitely times when I could have sat down and write but just didn’t. Does this happen to anyone else? If so, do you have any tips for overcoming it?

I took this semester off to do a co-op and I found myself writing a ton after work, so I know my problem is specific to student life.

As a university student, I completely understand what you’re going through. Writing is really difficult for me as well during the semesters. This is why I try to write on the weekends when I have more free time. It doesn’t always work but I feel like it’s better than nothing. I also always write down ideas that come to me even if it’s during a class. I don’t want to lose anything that will help me with my writing. Hope this helps!

1 Like

I like your ideas, especially writing down anything that comes to mind. Weekends are usually crammed for me but I think I’m going to try scheduling a specific time in my calendar to write next semester (maybe that’ll work till midterms hit :nauseated_face:).

I used to have that same problem during my first two years at college. However, now that I’ve found my way back to Wattpad, I feel really motivated to write, so I just plan when I’m going to write. I think it’s much harder to be consistent if you don’t schedule your writing into your weekly routine. Set yourself a goal of a minimal amount of words that you want to write per week, and strive to reach that goal. It should help. :blush:

1 Like

I think I’m going to try that, thanks for your insight :smile:

1 Like

You’re welcome! :smile:

It was hard to find time back in college, especially because I worked part time. When I did have time, my brain was often fried, and I just wanted to watch something or sleep.

During this time in my life, I rarely posted any of my work online because I didn’t want to put any extra pressure on myself. So I would just sit down at the end of each evening (unless I had an exam to study for), and during my lunch hour, and write a few pages at my leisure.

2 Likes

That pretty much sums up how I feel during the semester, and yeah I think I will try to schedule time. I’m sure whether I intend to or not my story on here will end up on hold when I go back to school, but hopefully I’ll make some improvement offline.

side note: I found your story (Obelus) on undiscovered gems a few weeks ago and really loved the first couple chapters! It had a great hook, I’ll have to pick it up again.

1 Like

OMG thank you!! XD It’s coming along. Very surprised and flattered by the response so far. Science fiction is not my forte. lol.

And yeah I feel you. Good luck with your semester and your writing process!!

1 Like

For me, it seems that for the first half of the semester, I’ll go on writing sprees but after halfway through the semester, I lose motivation/get stressed/become busier/etc.

I’m in that spot right now. I want to write but motivation is low now

1 Like

I feel that, when midterms hit I can’t be bothered to do anything but study.

1 Like

I’m horrible about studying :joy: But the amount of assignments pick up, especially now since my university has transitioned online. Two of my professors have increased the amount of our work because a heavy part of our grade was showing up to class (so tbh I’m not too upset at them - more at the situation) but another reduced our workload which I’m so thankful for

Oh yikes. My university also went online but I lucked out being on co-op this semester. It’s crazy, is your school going to pass/fail grading? I think mine will be.

1 Like

We are but on discretion of the professor. None of mine have expressed they are doing it

Interesting, that doesn’t seem fair. Best of luck to you, I hope you get through this semester unscathed.

1 Like

It’s not as bad as it may seem. The worst part is feeling like my home has been invaded :laughing: Home was the place to get away from work and part of school but now they’ve been incorporated to be doable at home

Thank you :blush:

1 Like

Yeah, but I try to keep a schedule of writing a chapter once a week. I can’t write every day like I used to, but I try to squeeze in some writing time when I can. It’s all about time management. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Time management is important but for me it’s like when I finally do get free time all I want to do is binge Netflix. I definitely think it’s a motivation issue for me personally.

1 Like

Yeah, I can understand. Like your brain is already fried and the last thing you want to do is write. :sweat_smile: I would say maybe schedule a day where all you do is nothing but write. That really helps. So you can just get all your work done any other time of the week.

I’ve also heard getting a writing buddy is helpful since they hold you accountable.

Yes! I get busy during school days. I cure that unintentional writing hiatus by writing one-shot stories. Easier to read and get away with, haha.