Does anyone know Bassemblog?

Because they’re mentioning my book in this very weirdly worded blurb and I’m not sure if they’re actually offering people to buy my first chapter or what is happening here.

Has anyone ever encountered this site or knows anything about it?

(So you won’t have to press the link - highlighted area is the part about my book)
bassemblog

https://bassemblog.ca/DOC-ID/the-watcher-book-one-of-the-watcher-saga

1 Like

Just from a quick glance it looks like a torrenting/pirating site. I’ve seen dozens of them that look about the same. They have a DMCA page to file copyright claims, which leads me to believe they have real material for sale (that and they have a file size). I could likely be a scam, but I would keep an eye on it at the least, I’ve seen a few like this that are actually real.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I thought too - that it looks like a pirating site.

It’s funny. Now when I clicked the link it actually has parts of my blurb in there too - and that wasn’t there before. And it doesn’t contain my read count anymore. What even is this site :joy:

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s automated or something, or run by bots lol

Kind of seems like it. Especially since it has the watty tag in the title, and I didn’t add that before June, obviously. But then it has the totally wrong read count on the picture I posted above.

Seems like a really shitty bot.

When I uploaded my first two books to Amazon, I didn’t enable DRM on them and now they’re all over the internet on pirate sites like this. Mine are on only a dozen or so sites as far as I know; J.A. Konrath’s books are on several hundred, so I try to look on the bright side and how it could be worse. So sorry this had to happen to you! but Joanna Penn, Neil Gaiman and some other experts say it can be good for your visibility and popularity. I think they’re nuts; it hasn’t helped me at all and it’s probably taken money out of my pocket, but I don’t see what we can do about it. These pirate sites are nearly always in foreign countries where the laws are different, and getting the books removed would likely require an international lawyer. I don’t have any money for that! (╯︵╰,)

1 Like

What bothers me most is the fact that I’m offering my work for free. There’s really no reason to go and steal it :joy:

I know! What’s worse is that the stats on pirate readers say that most of them are over thirty and wealthy. They just steal other people’s books for the fun of it or something. The way these sites works is generally that the readers pay a membership fee and then get access to millions of books. All of those books are stolen from writers like you and me. Aargh. (ง︡’-'︠)ง

1 Like

And all the customers could read the books for free if it wasn’t for assholes like the ones from Bassemblog. :confused:

Exactly! I don’t know any writers who wouldn’t give a reader a free copy of a published book if they just asked for it. These pirates must get some kind of thrill out of knowing they’re doing something illegal. I can’t see any other reason for it. (òᴥóし)

1 Like