Don't be a copycat!

What site are your works being posted on? Because I’d like to check to make sure mine and my friend’s works aren’t on there too.

You’ve probably heard of them - Truyen-something-something. I can’t remember the exact domain.

If your work is on there, there isn’t much to do about it, from what I’ve heard. Which sucks :confused:

The name rings a bell. That does suck. Thanks

Yeah, they’ve been around for as long as I have (so at least 2 years give or take)

Damn mirror sites.

My solution to unauthorised mirror sites (apart from accepting there’s nothing I can do to stop them) is to put some text at the end of my story’s description, along the lines of “This story was originally posted on wattpad.com. If you’re reading it on another site, it was put there without my permission, by something who was too lazy or stupid to remove this message.”

Bahahhaha, that’s actually quite good. I might go ahead and do that.

Oh! That’s a nice idea! :slight_smile:

Oh, that’s interesting. First time I heard of that, though it isn’t surprising. And as a sort of meta-story example, someone called StopTruyen wrote a Wattpad booklet about them.
I suppose this is an inevitable consequence of the fact that Wattpad is a club for writers (you can’t contribute unless you’re a member), but not really a club for readers (anyone can browse and read without an account). I wonder how wattpad writers feel about the no-account-needed-to-read aspect, anyway? It means, for example, no feedback from those silent readers.

Celebrities who can’t write hire ghost writers to write their biographies.

James Paterson has an army of writers writing novels he publishes under his name. To me, that’s disgusting.

Yeah I mean everyone knows it’s happening in those instances though.

This woman was entering her work into notable competitions and even acting as a JUDGE for the RITA (Romance Writers of America awards)

This is a great commentary on the whole thing.

I was responding to “I think the whole concept of an author hiring ghostwriters is bizarre anyway.”

There’s legitimate ghost writing and stealing, which isn’t ghost writing. It’s theft. Copyright violation. Plagiarism. I just wanted to point out the difference.

No I gotcha.

I know that ghostwriters are used for serials where the estate or publishers are keeping the series going for fans and funds. But again those are examples where people know that it’s the case.

This is that really shady area of usage though.

LOL, here’s an expose on a Kindle “author” who gleefully outsourced his self-help books.

“But hey, there’s plenty of room in this world for both Hoobastank and The Beatles…so who am I to judge.”

This line almost made me shoot soda out of my nose.

I just laughed at:

Notes #2: We don’t reveal the author’s identity on purpose as to not screw him over.

Ugh, I can’t even imagine how I’d react if I found out someone had stolen my work. Probably violently. :sweat_smile:

It used to bug me. It doesn’t now. I’ve watched interviews with him and some of the writers talking about the process. Kris Rusch happened to mention it in a post on Patreon today:

If I worked with another writer, that writer would get credit in a shared byline. That’s what Patterson does. As outlined clearly in a ThoughtCo article, here’s how the collaboration works. Patterson hires an established writer with publishing credits, and gives them a 60-80 page treatment of the story.

Then begins a pretty intense back-and-forth; Mark Sullivan, who co-wrote several of Patterson’s Private series as well as Cross Justice , described weekly phone calls, brutally honest feedback, and a tireless pursuit of the “terrific.” So it’s not fair to imply that Patterson is simply coasting on his brand name; the collaborative novels are his ideas, his characters, and a great deal of his input. As Patterson himself says, “I’m very good at plot and characterization but there are better stylists.”

Note that Patterson, one of the smartest writers alive, knows that the style will change with a collaborator—and he likes that.

I think the funniest bit I’ve found is that not only did #CopyPasteCris rip off authors - she also ripped off The Knot for a cake recipe.

I mean… Why tho? :joy:

Yes, it’s best to think of Patterson not so much as a traditional author (in which case, you’re tempted to think of him as an author who cheats), but as a very hands-on book director, in the same sense as film director. Or Producer-Director. Here’s another article about his process.

Anyone who self-publishes has to do some of that, though the other people whose work you might use (e.g. cover designer, editor) often get only a small credit.