🐲 Dragons 🐉

discussion

I figured. But it’s better to ask permission, rather than forgiveness. XD

Okay, let me try… what do you think about spiritual dragons who serve as guardians of the world?

“If those spells collapse, Ms. Heartfire, then I fear a repeat of history. A dragon does not forget what has been done to him and will hold a grudge even through an enchanted sleep. I pray that will not happen again.”

Thoughts on improving the dialogue? This is how I end one of the chapters in my story.

I feel like that’s pretty cliche. I’ve seen it a lot, or at least it feels that way.

I think it has a good enough. A decent way to end a chapter. Unless you somehow find a way to weave in a future event…

I actually quite like the idea. But just to clarify, spiritual as in not having a corporeal form?
Also, what exactly do they guard?

This kind of conjures the image of a huge dragon-librarian in my mind with tiny glasses on its nose :joy:

One thing that annoys me on some dragon stories is character finds a dragon egg, character meets a random stranger who says such and such that she or he must come with them and they leave immediately without question from their parents.

So I’m like heck yeah, dad/mom! When they question their kid leaving to fight the armies of darkness and all that stuff.

Books that have a selection or bonding ceremony are a lot better because the parents at least know what’s in store for their kid.

I guess that’s why so many MCs in fantasy stories are orphans? Which on the other hand creates another cliche.

I mean, it’s fine if they are an orphan, but so many times I’ve seen it happen when they have parents.

Imagine a story where the parent insists on joining them on their quest because they don’t want their underage child going on a possibly perilous journey with random strangers.

This NEEDS to happen. Take notes people.

Plus points if the parent is either completely unfit for the quest because they worry way too much about their child or they turn out to be super badass in sword fight or something.

Which kind of reminds me of the scene in Spiderman Homecoming where Peter is worried his aunt will kill him if she ever finds out he’s Spiderman.

Wait characters in books actually have parents?
I must have been reading the wrong books, the books I see around hardly seem to have parents around. And yet surprisingly nice big houses, enough money and food in the house… maybe I should read other genres too.

JOKING. But yeah, writing parents badly is just GUH.

Lol.

More like corporeal but wise spiritually-advanced creatures who guard the magical things.

My dragons are not animals, they’re the children of Kaal, the Time-Dragon. They’re supposed to guard the universe until the end of the Kalpa (aeon) and fight the daemons who want to destroy it before its prescribed time. They can speak, are incredibly wise, can use high-magic, and also have the ability to reincarnate because they’re basically angel incarnates. They don’t interact with humans unless they desperately need to, and the kings have a lot of respect for them.

156 posts, I’m not skimming them all to find out… has anyone read Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffery? Three book original series, side series about harpers, Moreta, Nirlka, first landing… Its a great collection. Her son picked up where she left off.

I have the first book. Can’t remember why I put it down, but might have to try reading it again.

Donita K Paul anyone?

I’m out of commission for a few days and we fall behind mermaids. Mermaids! They’re just kids who didn’t get out of the bath when their parents told them to. What do they have on flying, fire breathing dinosaurs?

I see my idea didn’t really take off. I also see no one used the hashtag #DragonTank as I instructed. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

True, but I suspect adolescents (male children at least) of that time period were a bit more independence, and not confined to the house, and would have likely gone on journeys as a natural part of life. The next town wasn’t 30 minutes away, it was days away.

But the REAL answer is, I don’t think young readers would find a story where the hero’s parents are constantly interfering very appealing when there are so many books where the children have authority, so why would they suffer otherwise. True, the parents don’t have to be annoying, but children/teens don’t imagine parents acting like Gandalf.

So absent parents will remain until some automated system enforces some sort of common sense on every fantasy story. It may not make sense, but kids like that it doesn’t match up with their normal lives. It’s teenage power fantasy.

And think of it like this. I’ve mentioned that Saphira in the Eragon movie was uncomfortable to watch because she had no agency despite being able to kill everyone else there with a slap of her claws. (Magical slavery aside). But giving Saphira the personality to enforce her opinions would have made Eragon her sidekick. The same thing would have happened if Eragon had parents telling him what to do the whole time. Why would we care about Eragon if his parents were making the decisions? The story would have been about them.

So glad to see someone else I recognize here. It’s like the apocalypse happened and I came back to the ghost realm left behind