DYSTOPIAN FICTION WRITERS UNITE

Hey there fellow writers out there!
I just wanted to create a thread for every one of you invested in creating a messed up world with compelling plots and characters. Let’s have a talk about our stories, make friends, share reads, comments, reviews and stuff. Have a seat!

12 Likes

Hi there,
I moved your thread to science fiction where I believe it is a better fit.
Good luck!
Lina - Community Ambassador

Hi! I might jump in on here if you don’t mind :slight_smile: I’ve been writing for a while in different genres (mainly fantasy, sci-fi, and romance) and have just started to upload a dystopian novel on Wattpad. I am quite fond of the dystopian genre, so it would be great to get to know other authors in the genre and chat a bit :slight_smile:
~ Liv Evans

3 Likes

Hello! You are welcome here of course:) I personally love fantasy and sci-fi, too. Right now the one I’m working on has fantasy elements in a dystopian setting. What’s your story about?

2 Likes

Mine is about a society with a government that oppresses the part of a population who has extra psychic like abilities. There is a small sect of these people that exist outside of their control, and they want to try and get rights back for their kind.
How about yours?

2 Likes

Ooh rebellions! Resistance! I love those themes. Mine is about the journey of the two MCs and supporting characters to the last ‘paradise’ city left on Earth in a destroyed world. I’ve a lot more subplots in there, though.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m a real sucker for stories with rebellion and resistance and stuff, gotta love the rising of the human spirit.
It is sometimes so hard to sum it up in one or two sentences! Yours sounds pretty interesting, I can imagine they run into all sorts of things along the way! Was there a specific event that destroyed the Earth, or was it more of a slow decline situation?

2 Likes

I think I’m going to incorporate rebellions in my story, too, at some point haha
There was a great war that decimated the globe but it wasn’t destroyed all at once-it’s slowing decaying and falling apart. So it’s not a post-apocalyptic thing but rather a mid-apocalyptic story.

1 Like

That sounds really interesting. Jumping in mid-apocalypse really lends itself to a rich development of the setting and characters. There would be so many directions you can go with that.

2 Likes

I agree! That’s why I chose that setting. It’s good for character/plot development.

1 Like

This is the place for me!

1 Like

Hello again!

1 Like

Hiya!
I love your username :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank youuu! I like yours too!
How are you?

How are you?

1 Like

Doing good. You?

Ooh hey guys! I love meeting other dystopian fiction writers :grin: I’m working on a story set in an alternate universe where the Cold War is still ongoing, and the “American Republic” has extreme control of everything but no one does anything to stop of it for fear of being labeled “anti-American”

1 Like

My story is about a future earth that has been subjugated by an alien race. My main female character is a human feline hybrid.

1 Like

The story I’m working on is set in the near future in an isolated village on the White Sea in Russia. Overfishing ruined the seabed and the loose sand washes onto the coast and then is carried by the wind, covering pastures, roads, and entire houses. There has been a general collapse of society and existing nations.

Given the damage to the natural resources and having no contact with the outside, the people are slowly starving. While this brings out the problem-solving talents of the MC, it also fosters superstition, anger, and violence.

She finds a remote house mostly buried by sand, with a hidden hoard of food and weapons. If she reveals its presence, she knows it will end in a mad scramble and perhaps a bloodbath.

So, along with the practical problem of how to take supplies to her family without revealing the place, she also faces a moral dilemma: how can she keep it secret while others in the village suffer?

4 Likes

That sounds insanely cool. Have you published it yet? I’d love to check it out!