English as you main subject

question
help

I am not sure which club I should put this in, so I am putting it here.

So, I am soon going to finish my high school and I have plan for higher studies. Till date I score the most in English at school and I love to read and write.
Which is why I want to take English as my main subject, for higher studies.

But most of my family members are discouraging about it, cause they think that taking English means I can only be a teacher. And author is a risky business.

So can someone tell me what all job opportunity an English student can have.

You can do more with an MA in English, but a BA? Not much, honestly.

What all can I do with MA on English?

A teacher, freelance worker writing and editing, running a tutoring center, running a children’s center…

That’s what I’ve come across with my BA. It’s not a lot at all.

Thanks

Hey there :slight_smile:

You can have a look at this link for more info-
https://www.geteducated.com/careers/best-jobs-for-english-majors

Thank you

You can teach at college, which you cannot as easily do with only a BA.

There are a lot of careers where your ability to read and write well can come into play other than education. Although as a teacher I’m biased in that regard.

Marketing
Advertising
Public Relations
Anthropology
Archaeology
Sales
Human Resources

What is anthropology?

The study of people, cultures and society. There are a bunch of different sub groups.

Oh! Thank you gllaurich.

No problem. :+1:

First of all, you have to do what you want. You have to live YOUR life and dreams, not someone else’s.

Secondly. in terms of career paths, you may venture into journalism, editing, education (not just in the classroom, but at the ministry of education), a secretary, freelancing, and the list goes on. You may even go on to doing a masters in a complementary field, or the same.

Lastly, the world wants the best, so be the best in your field and open doors that have never been previously opened!

#Bisous!

Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it.

PS. I am following my dreams, its just that I wanted my family’s approval. :blush:
I got it now, so Yay.

You are welcome!

We always want that approval, yes. But once someone loves you,
your happiness will become their happiness. It might not start off
that way, but it will get there one day.

And again, I am glad that you are now contented!
#Bisous!
#Besos!

What does bisous mean?

Yes I am happy now. Finally they realised I am not cut out for engineering work. Lol!

Hi! I have a BA in English - Creative Writing and am on the job hunt. It’s tough but if you’re really passionate that this is what you want to do with your life then I say go for it.
I knew what I was getting into when I signed up for the major: hard af to find a job after college but it was worth it. The professors you meet, the classes, and experiences you have will change your life. I wouldn’t change it for anything.

And contrary to popular belief, there’s a lot you can do with a BA. Copywriting, editorial stuff with publishers, freelance (which you’re 100% in control of which is cool), and staff writing positions are all examples.
The jobs are hard to score because you’re competing with other creative minds with equally as great cover letters and resumes, but it’s all worth it if it’s what you want.

Yep, I was made aware of that (again and again).
I want to get a BA hons so maybe that would give a leverage. I don’t know.

But what I do know is that if I don’t get admission in a BA English college I might end up doing BSc science. Not something I like. So got to work hard, I guess.

All the best. I hope you get a job of your liking.

Just do what makes you happy. I had family members curse my major from the beginning because it wouldn’t make me money in the long run. Most of my family members are engineers so I’m surrounded by money making machines while me and my brother are the creatives of the family.

Just stick with what you love! It’ll work out, and you’ll find your passion no matter what happens.