Famous Writer's Quotes?

So I’ve started a blog and I want to have a small opening quote about writing. I’ve done some research but nothing really sounds that good, any ideas? Doesn’t have to be from a famous writer, just any saying or quote you’ve heard that sticks with you :slight_smile:

“Ah, Sir, a novel is a mirror carried along a high road. At one moment it reflects to your vision the azure skies, at another the mire of the puddles at your feet. And the man who carries this mirror in his pack will be accused by you of being immoral! His mirror shews the mire, and you blame the mirror! Rather blame that high road upon which the puddle lies, still more the inspector of roads who allows the water to gather and the puddle to form.”
Stendhal - The Red and the Black

1 Like

"Never trust the artist. Trust the tale." - D. H. Lawrence

That one’s my favourite, but it would probably only fit a certain mood. It’s also technically about reading, not about writing.

"I can shake off anything as I write; my sorrows disappear, my courage is reborn." - Anne Frank

I really like this one too, it resonates with me a lot. But you’d probably want something from a less depressing source :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Would you believe the first thing that comes to mind isn’t a written quote. It’s from Dr who. “Are you threatening me with a spoon?” My daughter and I use it often when we tease each other playing around.

1 Like

Dr. Who also has that great line in the episode with the giant library: “You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!”

1 Like

‘Prose is architecture, not interior decoration.’
– Ernest Hemingway

‘It’s none of their business that you have to learn to write. Let them think you were born that way.’
– Ernest Hemingway

If you can tell stories, create characters, devise incidents, and have sincerity and passion, it doesn’t matter a damn how you write.
– Somerset Maugham

1 Like

" Only a hand that erases could write the true thing."
“The more I read, the more I feel like I don’t know anything”

1 Like