***Fantasy Books with Black Female Protaganists***

hey guys,

I thought this could be place for very specific types of books. There aren’t a lot fantasy books (especially high/epic fantasy) out there with black female protaganists. This is a category that I would love to see expanding. So if you have any suggestions, feel free to drop them into group (these could be either published or wattpad books).

Some Suggestions:

* Children of Blood and Bone - Tomi Adeyemi

* Who Fears Death - Nnedi Okorafor

* Ode to Nightingale - LittleBird317 (Wattpad Author)

* Song of Blood & Stone - L. Penelope

* Fractured Princess - Debra Renee

* The Hundred Thousand - N.K. Jemisin

* Noughts and Crosses - Malorie Blackman

* How Long 'til Black Future Month? - N.K. Jemisin

* The Steel Remains - Richard Morgan

* Lost Identity - C.R Nedd

* Three Parts Dead - Max Gladstone

* Necromancy in D Minor - Jaxon Tempest

* H Lumelo (author)

Thanks in Advance Guys xx

3 Likes

bump

I fully agree. It’s these little details that get us down, too, since most of the time the protag’s ethnicity has nothing to do with the plot, so why not bring some diversity here?

1 Like

Exactly! Don’t get me wrong, I love fantasy books regardless. But its nice to see yourself in these books every once in a while.

1 Like

bump

Yes! I love different characters with different backgrounds. I’m trying to start writing that with my more recent fantasy books. The more I’m thinking about it I haven’t read much fantasy with poc characters. That kind of sucks to realize because there are probably plenty out there they’re just never get promoted.

1 Like

You’re probably right, I guess need to do more digging. I’m not going to lie, I’m kind of a hypocrite. I started writing a fantasy book and my main character isn’t a poc - but I’ve kind of abandoned that book now (not very good at writing tbh). But I would love to read your book when its done - you’ve piqued my interest already!

1 Like

Neat thread!

This is so true, and I’ve noticed it as well.

I have a fantasy book with a PoC female protagonist! The protagonist has amnesia so she isn’t entirely certain of her ethnic background until much later in the story, though right in chapter 1 it’s clear that she has brown skin. :slight_smile: It’s called ‘Lost Identity’. https://www.wattpad.com/story/184307352-lost-identity-eloria-series-book-1-✓

1 Like

If you just want black as in skin tone, Archeth from A Land Fit for Heroes series by Richard Morgan is black (and gay). But since it’s fantasy she isn’t from earth and therefore not African. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That sounds super cool. Just add it to your message. Then I’ll add it to my list :blush::blush::blush:

1 Like

Ooh interesting, I might check it out. Thanks!

Do you mean add the link to the book or just the title of the book?

The link would be great, so I can add both to my list. Thanks x

1 Like

Okay! Done!

All done. Read the summary, defo adding to my library. Thanks! x

1 Like

Thanks for adding it to the list! :smiley::orange_heart:

1 Like

Published book:

2 Likes

Thank you, this looks amazing. Adding it now!

@authorhlumelo

2 Likes

Thanks so much x