Fantasy Writing Music

What music do you like to listen to while writing? I’m trying to get some inspiration from the community as my state is locked down due to COVID-19.

Mine is from an MMO called Star Wars: The Old Republic. It’s great for all sorts of fantasy or sci-fi stories, as it’s got elements of both.

Sound off below!

depends on the mood for the scene.

• Two Steps from Hell
  • Garmarna
  • Percival Schuttenbach
  • Waldkauz
  • Rastaban
  • Beltaine
  • Video game soundtracks (Elder Scrolls, Assassin’s Creed, Dishonored)
  • Movie soundtracks (The Great Wall, 1917)
  • TV show soundtracks (Game of Thrones)
2 Likes

Well I find that I actually watch movies to help me get into a writing groove.
Its a cliché but I watch twilight and listen to its music. Sadly, I think I’ve watched it far far too much but :woman_shrugging:t2:
To be honest, I usually watch/listen to anything related to fantasy (Narnia, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter) and it gets me in the mood to write. If you’ve got Spotify, just search the movie’s name and 9 times out of 10 someone has compiled a playlist

1 Like

I usually listen to epic music…or soundtracks from badass shows and movies.
Game of Thrones is the soundtrack that often plays in my playlist. Pirates of the Caribbean…that sort of stuff.
I have a separate playlist for epic music alone…

2 Likes

Lindsay stirling and piano classical sonatas are usually my go to for fantasy music. Sometimes I look up fantasy music on YouTube. There’s a bunch of playlists there with fantasy themes.

1 Like

Power Metal

2 Likes

Here are a few of my playlists.

Power metal

Music which is played on a piano

Classical music

2 Likes

I have a playlist on spotify, but I only play the first eight, nine songs on repeat. If you want to check here is the link:
spotify:playlist:0ajPvhFLqM0vmvXsVUjnl9

1 Like

I have about 90% or more of Audiomachine’s discography. They’re pretty awesome.

1 Like

Two Steps From Hell is a wonderful orchestra group who has music available for free to listen to on YouTube. Lots of Fantasyish themes. I suggest High C’s by them.

1 Like

Way more Sabaton than I’d like to admit…

2 Likes

Complete with a hilariously WTF vocal song in the middle of it :rofl:
1 Like

This is amazing!

1 Like

You can find the entire LOTR soundtrack on YouTube, it’s about 3 hours long and pretty much every track is a masterpiece. Writing a peaceful wholesome scene? The Shire music is perfect for that. Writing your villan? The Saruman theme is perfect for that.

1 Like

For me,

Princess of the Dawn by Accept
The Scarecrow by Avantasia
The Raven Child by Avantasia
Power of Thy Sword by Rhapsody of Fire
The Chosen Ones by Dream Evil

are top 5 songs to write fantasy to.

1 Like

When I need to shake the juices loose: Dance with the Dead is my go to. Something about synthwave makes my brain get to work.

When the juices don’t need the help, I listen to Guild of Ambiance on youtube to go to a more Zen place.

1 Like

I’ll check those out! Thanks!