Favorite foods and drinks (including pubs restaurants etc.)

food
random
drinks

Didn’t plant much outdoors because I had a holiday booked that had to be cancelled at a day’s notice, when we evacuated for a forest fire. So I planted the golden beets late and they didn’t get very big. But they are pretty:

Forgot about them, but when I remembered I found them at the bottom of the veg bin and they were still good.

Not sure whether to roast, boil, or slice thin and pickle.

My mother puts hers in jelly.

Growing up on the shores of Belfast Lough, you did not eat the local shellfish precisely because of the effluent. The decent beds were much further out, well away from the pollution - both human and industrial. That didn’t get cleaned up until the 1990s.

Decided to slice the larger ones and boil them a bit, just tender.

With blackcurrent balsamic vinegar, it made a colourful dish.

Saved the smaller ones. A neighbour grew parsnips and decided she doesn’t like them, so she’s dropping some off. Think I’ll slice the beets and parsnips really thin, with some sliced ginger and kombu, and make more Japanese-style pickles.

Been reading up on okonomiyaki. For starters, I need to make dashi. I’ve got kombu, but found two very different recipes. One uses kombu and bonito flakes (don’t have). The other uses kombu, shitake mushrooms, and soy sauce. Don’t have dried shitake, but I do have some fairy ring mushrooms that I gathered and dried, that have a similar skunky odour.

Not going to town 'til Tuesday. If I can find bonito flakes, I’ll make both kinds for a test.

Let me know how it goes.

IF YOU’RE EVER IN TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO
MAKE SURE AND TRY A DOUBLES WITH SLIGHT PEPPER AN SWEET SAUCE
:heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

No bonito flakes in Laramie, Wyoming. I can order some through Amazon, but I loathe Amazon for destroying the business of writing.

So, mushrooms instead?