Favorite Tropes

Listen, no one wants to hear another character description that involves the protagonist standing in front of a mirror and naming off their physical attributes for no reason.

THAT BEING SAID…

There are some tropes and cliches that I’ve not only seen written well, but I also really enjoy!

So this is a thread for those of us that don’t mind a bit of cheesiness and predictability. Feel free to leave your favorite romance tropes/cliches below, or comment on preexisting ones.

I’ll start! I personally love the best friend to lover trope. Sometimes there’s just nothing sweeter than when a character realizes the right person for them has been there all along!

Happy commenting!

8 Likes

I also love the best friend to lovers trope! I think it’s one of the most universally loved tropes/cliches here on Wattpad. I just love it when they’ve already built up a connection, and then it blossoms into something beautiful. Bonus points if the guy is a total sweetheart and is just a big ol’ teddy bear (I’m writing a slow burn right now and that’s exactly what the MMC is. He’s a big ol’ teddy bear and he’s just the sweetest thing ever).

I could go on and on about this trope!

7 Likes

I think I’m going to have to write this just to prove the statement wrong. LOL I once read a protag standing in front of the mirror listing their physical attributes for no reason and died laughing. It was one of my most favorite scenes in that book XD

What goes wrong in all tropes is poor execution IMO, never the trope itself because for every one of them you can find at least one writer who aced it.

For me, I love love triangles. When done right it’s the most heartbreaking thing ever. Enemy to lovers when done right is also the most complicated relationship to read and also heartbreaking.

5 Likes

I love the best friends find love trope as well! I don’t know if this is really a trope, but sometimes people are really good at writing an awesome happy ending love story. Every story needs an arc, conflict, etc. but every once in a while there is a story that there’s no MAJOR drama that is just so darn sweet and romantic I melt :heart:

1 Like

Oooh now I’m intrigued, I’ll definitely be checking out your book. And I totally agree with you about the teddy bear aspect. When the MMC is a sweetheart, I find myself satisfied whether they end up together or remain just friends

1 Like

Honestly, I hadn’t even considered that, a mirror scene as a comedic or satirical device is something I’ve never seen done and now I’m so interested in reading something like that.

As for enemies to lovers, I couldn’t agree more. The presence of wit and banter and even well written insults is so good for building tension.

100%!! I feel like there’s this sentiment, especially with non-wattpad authors, that a story with a happy ending is somehow less impactful. But I agree that that’s not true at all! A well written happy ending can have us readers in our feels just as much as anything else

1 Like

I give these writers sooo much credit, because I can’t write those sweet as pie love stories for anything. I’m always trying to think outside of the box and throw in curveballs. But when I’m PMSing and could use a good happy cry, I’m all about them :joy:

2 Likes

I think you just became the most relatable woman on earth :joy: needless to say, I totally agree

2 Likes

I love the enemies to lovers trope very much. Or stories about billionaires how fall in love. But it must not be an arranged marriage or something.

3 Likes

I like the enemies to lovers as well! I love going on the journey of them learning how much they have in common. I’m on the fence about arranged marriage stories. I think it would depend on the context of the story.

3 Likes

Yeah

It was hilarious. I’ve seen it done two ways, one where the MC gave his own dashing smile and pearly white teeth a name (with a TM symbol LMAO) because he was so obsessed with himself (he was cute as hell) and the other as a girl bitching about her looks using metaphors and similes that just kills you like, “my skin looks like a corpse’s somebody tossed into the attic ten days ago to hide their murder.“

1 Like

The enemies to lovers is just…idk how to explain. Their journey is So beautiful, but the story must have an happy ending.

5 Likes

Agreed 100%

2 Likes

alright, you’ve officially sold me on this trope lol I love that

1 Like

Yes! And thank you so much! That book is coming out in a couple of weeks :slight_smile: I’ll ABSOLUTELY let you know when it comes out! :slight_smile: (if that’s okay with you)

1 Like

Do you prefer when the hate is one sided in the beginning? Like let’s say the protagonist thinks she hates a guy, but he’s known all along they were meant to be. Or, do you like when both characters start out hating eachother and their relationship evolves?

2 Likes

more than okay! I’ll be keeping an eye on my notifications :blush:

1 Like

I like it when both sides hate each other

3 Likes