Feedback Opp: Tag Rankings

Hey everyone!

Feedback opportunity here to chat with me, Nick from Wattpad, about the tag rankings. And by chat I mean literally, as I would love to hop on a call for 30-60 minutes with anybody to get their feedback and opinions on the lists, especially around a big question:

Relevancy!

Since the lists rolled out, we’ve heard mixed feedback. A lot of people like and appreciate the concept of more diversity and more opportunities to be recognized or to thrive in a niche, but equally dislike the lack of relevancy they’re seeing in the lists. They’re too random, they don’t look or feel like what they expect, and they find they are devaluing the work in their of people trying to stand true to the niche.

I’m sure there’s also lots of other things people want to talk about and feelings they have. If you would like, spend the entire time just yelling at me until you feel better, I can take it. I mean I’d love to ask specific questions to figure things out but sure, will also just enable open venting.

So if you’re interested in sitting down and speaking with me for some of your time out of your day, it would be very much appreciated. You can reply here, or you can send me a message if you want that to be quiet. We can do chats over Skype, Google Hangouts, or use the clubs Discord for easy voice chats (I don’t need to see any video nor do I want it). We can even do regular phone calls if people want, we just prefer not to cause we don’t want personal information if we can avoid it.

Hi. I have a few opinions on tag rankings. :grin: (Sorry!)

My first one might be to do with ongoing work on the website, and if that’s the case, I’ll shut up. At the moment, if you click on ‘Discover’ it comes up with the list of genres. But genres are no longer a method of sorting for stories over any other tag, and the stories that appear may have that genre only as a minor theme. It’s a bit confusing have genre classifications up as a primary way of finding new stories but the stories under them not adhering to any genre expectations.

The biggest thing I struggle with is a lack of prioritisation with tags. I like that with tags you can search for something very specific by putting together a list of tags, but if you want something broader they really fall down. If writers were asked to pick one or two ‘main’ tags that cover the biggest themes of there book, or even just rank tags in order of importance to their work, it might solve some of that. It might also solve the problem of having books ranked on a hot list under a tag that doesn’t have much importance to their story, which really devalues hot lists as a way of finding books.

5 Likes

Psst, did you read the original post?

Remember, it asks if you want to do a call and chat about story relevancy in the tags. If that’s not something you’re interested in, there is a different thread on general tag ranking feedback (and other complaints that fall similarly, which you mentioned).

If you want to do the call, let me know. If not, you can head on over to that thread to post your concerns :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So sorry, I misunderstood, I think. I thought that was what I was talking about - didn’t mean to make a fool of myself! :sweat_smile: Sorry!

2 Likes

I can’t do calls but I can do online chat, I know you ask for calls but if you end up doing online/written chats too, let me know and I could do it. :grin:

2 Likes

Could I just clarify, then, what do you mean by ‘story relevancy in the tags’? Sorry, I’m feeling a bit slow today. Not how the tags are relevant to the story and how that reflects in the lists? I’d like to chat if I can offer something.

1 Like

How the stories in the tags don’t feel relevant to that tag. Or

Why is there werewolf in my science fiction list?

This fanfic doesn’t have anything to do with adventure?

How did #billionaire look like this?

2 Likes

Ah, that’s kind of what I meant when I was talking about prioritization of tags and how it seems like some of the some works repeat in the lists because of tags that only feature in the work in minor ways. :slight_smile:

The fanfic being harder to tell from original stories bugs me. Even if you exclude the tag in your search, it relies on the authors having tagged it as well as putting it as the genre, as far as I can tell?

1 Like

so if you want to do a call to chat about you observations, you can let me know and we can set up a time to talk

2 Likes

I dont… But will share this link out there to see if anyone wants to :slight_smile:

I’m open for y’all to call over Discord - Just not sure how it’ll work with time zones since I’m over in Copenhagen now.

2 Likes

I would call via Discord, but have work soon. :confused:

1 Like

@Perci_Snickedy @RainerSalt @marjoryk Time to do your work! Blast it to him! :joy:

Note: He did say

So don’t glare at me about it :grin:

3 Likes

I’m fine with calls, Nick :slight_smile: It’s 1:32 am in India and I’m on for a couple hours more =]

1 Like

I’ve never used Discord, but I use Google hangouts quite a lot. Now other people have turned up, though, I don’t know if I’ll have much to add. :slight_smile:

1 Like

this is fine, you just have to schedule a time we both agree upon and that’s it! same for @JMills

And for @LadyofthePond even if every person tells me the same thing, it’s still very valuable to be able to confirm that everyone feels this way. Each individual opinion is valuable, as are they when collected, even if they’re all the same.

3 Likes

Hi Nick, thanks very much for this opportunity. I’d like to take you up on it. Would sometime tomorrow or Wednesday (7/17 or 7/18) work for you? I could do it between the hours of 8:30 am to 4 pm Pacific time on either day.

I would prefer a phone call if possible. Happy to give you my phone number if you tell me where to pm it.This way I can keep my computer screen free to refer to my notes.

1 Like

is there a link available for the clubs Discord? I tried searching these forums, but all the invite links I found were expired.

1 Like
2 Likes