Feeling Like a Bad Writer

Does anyone else feel like a bad writer? Cause, I do.

I used to feel so passionate about writing a few months ago but, now, I can barely write a sentence much less a paragraph. I feel as though everything I put out isn’t good anymore. As much as I hate to say this, I’ve even been thinking of giving up on writing - or at least taking a break from it.

Any thoughts?

I take breaks once in a while. I do not get the external validation I crave (being published or achieving popularity), so it gets hard to maintain the internal one indefinitely. So, yup, a break is a good idea.

7 Likes

I’m not good at writing also

3 Likes

I took a two year break after feeling like this. When I decided that I wanted to write again, my passion returned in full force.

5 Likes

I feel frustrated at myself more than anything because I want to write but I just don’t have time because of the heaps of work that have to take top priority position in my life. There’s also my internal fiasco of me writing 7 chapters and then having a complete brain malfunction and being unable to even form an idea that’s remotely good or beneficial to the plot (’’’:

3 Likes

You got burned out. It happens a lot. Maybe it’s time to step back and take a little break.

4 Likes

For me, it’s always come when I realize there are things I don’t like about my writing. After realizing what they are. I change them. It helps a lot.

2 Likes

Take a break.

Are you a student? Because it’s that time of year when every student’s brain is too boiled to focus.

So take a break. Dont throw out all your writing. Leave quick notes about what you had wanted to aim for in the future (plot wise). And then just walk away for a while.

3 Likes

Speaking of feeling like a bad writer, I’ve gotten some critique work done for a blurb and I rewrote it. I’m wondering how it sounds.

At the age of fourteen, the unofficial citizen Will stands on the precipice of his future in the Brutarian Empire. His final year at the children’s care and career center is drawing to a close, and with that close come the BEDL exams. Will has spent the better part of his fourteen years of life training for these exams, hoping his performance will earn him a place as a Brutarian Legionnaire. He knows being assigned to the Legion is his best chance at one day buying property and enjoying the full rights of an official citizen. But to find a place among the Brutarian Empire’s soldiers, he has to prove himself to the Judges. Even as Will prepares for his exams, contentions arise between the center’s Caregivers and the Brutarian Guards stationer there, leading many to question where their loyalties lie. In the face of this division, Will has determined that nothing will keep him from becoming an Official Citizen. In his mind, there’s only one thing that could. Being assigned to be a lab rat.

Like every other day, I’m like, ugh, I’m such a crappy writer.

There was a point in my life where I decided to take a year-long break from writing and that helped. I actually wanted to leave Wattpad because I felt like everything was a bit pointless. But in the end I chose to stick around and even though I still feel like a bad writer, I try to remind myself why I’m still writing, what motivated me in the first place, etc.

If the story you’re working on now is hard to write because you keep doubting your ability, then yeah, take a break. Or write something completely different, like a different genre. Create a new world, with new characters and you don’t have to write anything ‘good’, just let your ideas flow, whatever they are. And you don’t have to post it on Wattpad either. It’ll just be something for yourself.

6 Likes

I agree with that one

1 Like

I can relate to this.

But please be aware, there is no such thing as a good writer as it is only WE the readers who decide. Even the biggest authors aren’t liked by EVERYONE, and even the literary classic authors all felt unworthy themselves, even though they wrote MASTERPIECES.

6 Likes

As a lot of other people have said, taking a break is perfectly fine. Sometimes you need to take a little bit of time to recharge your brain.
I’d recommend not stressing too much about it. ( The longest break I’ve ever taken was 4 years) But hopefully your burn out is more creative and not anything to do with self doubt.
Give yourself time to day dream and think and read and eventually the words will come back to you. Sometimes me just doing something where I can let my mind wander like hiking, colouring, yard work, chores or long drives, helps.
There are great writing games that I used to get back into writing, with prompts and etc, and journals that do the same thing, but don’t expect a lot.

2 Likes

Exactly!

Even if you feel like its all been said before, remember that it hasn’t been said by you!

1 Like

Hey. I say, listen to your heart.

“Wow that’s deep, Mack”

Yeah well. Life’s short. Deal with it. You don’t have all the time in the world. And if you listen to your mind, it’s only going to guide you towards the easier decision. But if you listen to your heart, you’ll understand more than you already knew. Guaranteed.

I say keep it up and see where it leads you. If it doesn’t lead you anywhere, then oh well. Might as well giveup right? But then again, what would that make you?

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Always jumping on that self hatred train when it comes to creativity tbh. It doesn’t really go away

I’ve been feeling like this too lately, so I decided to take a break. Writing is somehow the thing that brings me the most joy, but also the most sorrow.

2 Likes

Writing’s a love-hate relationship, so taking a break is a good way to ease the burn of it sometimes.

Edit: Also, if it makes you feel any better, feeling like you’re a bad writer (that you have nothing left to say) means that you need to be creative in a different way. If not through writing, then maybe through reading, or any other activity that makes you think about creating something instead of just feel bad over a state of mind. It’s a state of mind that’s there for a reason, and it’s calling your attention to something you haven’t noticed or thought of before. If you’re having trouble figuring out how to write a certain scene, then imitate a scene you’ve seen on TV or read in a book. That’ll help get the juices flowing. If it’s something like burnout, though, then take a break.

2 Likes

It’s possible you might be tired. Life can be pretty tiring sometimes. When life starts to calm down, find rest. Once you’re rested, you might be ready to write again.

1 Like

Writing is a skill, and just as with any other skill, you won’t become a master overnight, unless you’re blessed with having it as a talent. For others of us, it’s a learning process. Everyone learns at a different pace.

Don’t worry about it too much. You’ll only cause yourself to become burdened by stress that you don’t need, which will hinder your progress as a writer.

First drafts exist for a reason :slight_smile:

1 Like