So, I’ve got a soft spot for romance, for the steamy, action, heart wrenching kinds of romance…
But I’m sick and tired of the tropes, but find it hard to satisfy my need for romance, while fighting my quasi-feminist mindset.
- Consent is a big thing. A girl isn’t going to find out she likes being forced into having sex because its her soul mate.
- Strong female characters that… save themselves… that men don’t need to take care of (benevolent sexism in Romance is strong!).
- Why do the women have to be virgins all the time? Honestly?
- the “alpha” trope. Research actually proves that Alpha isn’t really a thing, its a societal misconception that values bad leadership, low emotional intelligence and dangerous aggression issues.
- Existing only to find “the one”. Seriously, I like the idea of soulmates, but I want a three dimensional character that exists in her own way, plus has a romantic relationship?
Anyone think I’m just entirely too picky? Or agree? Or have any other thoughts on how unflattering to women Romance is?