Get your Teen Fiction summary rated!

Blockquote

8/10 Your story sounds interesting. Although, the summary felt a little long. I feel you could probably shorten it a little.

Blockquote

7/10 You have an intriguing summary, but I think you should get rid of the 1st sentence. It seems out of place. After reading the 1st sentence, I thought the story would be about suicide. But it seems like the story is about someone going after Scarlet.

The Element of Life

I was hoping buying a new Jeep for my seventeenth birthday would be the start to a great year. Things were looking up until I caught my ex-boyfriend Elliot cheating on me at Prom. It didn’t help that I was already facing an eating disorder and trying to overcome the fact that my father left us when I was younger. Thankfully I had my best friend Regina with me at my side.

Life changed that fateful day when I noticed a strange light in the park. My poor judgment told me to visit the park and I did. Little did I know that touching that light would give me a power. An element if you will. I had the power to bring things back to life. This new power completely changed my life. I wasn’t sure if I could trust anyone with my new power.

At best my secret was probably safe with Regina. But Elliot was a different story. In fact, he was already out to make my life miserable. There would be no telling what Elliot would do if he ever knew the truth. The fate of the world was in my hands.

1 Like

8/10 I didn’t expect some much drama in these sentences. This story is going to be a little more real than I’m usual to and I love it.

Lost and Found

Fifteen-year-old Amanda Wu isn’t your typical high school student living in the year 2029. She is a well-known girl with loving parents, loyal best friends, and maybe a handsome boyfriend. Her perfect life is suddenly threatened, when Amanda finds the mysterious Subject Six, a boy she never meant to cross paths with. Caught in an epic game of cat and mouse, Amanda races to protect her loved ones while Six seeks answers about himself. With violence and dark secrets surfacing, Amanda and Six must learn to work together to protect their future. But can they truly trust each other?

1 Like

8/10 While most of this sounds cliche I’m interested to know if Amanda is Asian. If so and you bring in Asian culture, I think that is a unique concept rarely seen in futuristic books. I don’t get much plot here. All I see is that Six has entered this perfect girl’s perfect life and something happens that leads her to abandon her perfect life. I advise to expand on more of the world (what’s unique about it), avoid too many concepts (high school, future, boyfriend, conspiracy, etc… there is a lot here), and give me a reason why Amanda would want to put her perfect life in jeopardy.

Mirror Me (Mirror Me Series Book 1)

After a frightening incident leaves her family shaken, Hope Martinez promises her mother to never look at a mirror again.

Three years later, Hope stands between two worlds - the world of her mother, a contrived and constricted set of rules ignoring their family’s Hispanic heritage and abolishing all things reflective from the home, and the world of her abuelita, which is said to contain a mysterious power that members of the family are fated to discover.

When high school bullying and peer pressure start pushing Hope’s limits, she finds no other choice but to gain normalcy and break her mother’s promise. She soon discovers a hidden magical world beyond her reflection, one filled with strange beasts, enchanted cities, and flying walnuts. Why would such a wonderful place be kept from her? The reason - Hope’s family has a terrible destiny waiting to be unleashed.

2 Likes

7.5/10, there is enough information about the characters and the basic plot for the readers to want to read it but the ending is a bit vague and sort of…underwhelming?

Everett Arcata’s life is perfect—he has the grades, the looks, and the social skills to make high school a cakewalk. The only things he need to worry about are college apps, standarized tests, and getting that varsity letter, until he starts dreaming about a girl with hair as bright as the day and a gun dark as the night, a gun she points at him every night.

Counting down the days until graduation, Chandler Suh fantasizes every day about getting out of the upstate New York suburb he’s trapped in and rebuilding his GPA, his reputation, and his self-esteem from ground up. He wants another chance, but after running into a certain unsettling, annoying, yet oddly familiar girl, he begins to think that this is his second chance.

After nine years of homeschooling, sleepless nights, and hallucinations, Laurel Brennan never expected she’d ever step foot in a public school again, and she’d certainly never imagined she’d find the face that had haunted her life for so long. She knows everything about who he was—but he doesn’t remember anything about her.

As their pasts slowly come into light, the three face two choices to prevent their memories from overtaking them: accept their previous selves or suppress them altogether.

9/10. I enjoyed reading this. The only suggestion I have is that you change apps to applications.

The Playwright’s Prince

15-year-old Sam Tucker is your average sophomore—except he’s a magician. Magic makes life a breeze for him, whether in the classroom or with the ladies (and gentlemen). When a late arrival to history class lands Sam in detention, he crosses paths with student and aspiring playwright, Luke Emerson. Luke’s been searching for the perfect muse for his play, and Sam is exactly what he’s looking for. But there’s one problem: Sam has stage fright.

6/10.
Describing someone as your average insert is kinda off putting when we KNOW there’s gonna be some crazy stuff about them anyways. It’s just used a bit often now. And also, it’s like the fact that he is a freaking magician has little to no impact on what the plot- the stage freight and play- actually revolves on. So, I think you can work on this a little more^^. It’s not bad though.

Teen For Hire

Reece sticks by a certain motto in life:

“If you ever want something to get done, pay somebody to do it for you.”

In this case, people pay HIM to get things done. Anything they could possibly want, from babysitting, to stalking their exes or even doing their math homework. He could do it all with the right amount of money.
Okay, maybe doing Maths homework is a stretch, but you get the gist.

Trouble arises when the hot mess of a teenager got an offer of getting $10000 per month to protect the new girl in town, Sierra Ferrind, he didn’t exactly know what he was signing up for.

She was everything he hated,
But he was everything she loved.

And now Reece has to stalk her. Great.

Join Reece Alexander as he rocks out in Junior year with undercover missions, disastrous people and the ever so powerful teenage hormones. After all, who knows what life could bring when you’re a teen for hire.

7/10
I like it in the sense that it’s straightforward and gets the job done. As far as hooking me—it doesn’t do that to the extreme that it should. You want to make your description as vague as you can so that it makes the reader want to continue to see if their own assumptions are correct. I feel like you can achieve this with just a few tweaks. Other than that, good job.

|××××××××××|××××××××××|

Fia Ricci is enticing. Annoying as hell. But enticing nonetheless.

Joel Barner isn’t that bad. He’s not great. But he’s not that bad.

|××××××××××|××××××××××|

For the first time, I see the ugly lines etched-out on my skin. It covers half of my shoulder and the rest is spread out over some of my chest. The men out in that room look at the black ink and see their power. But, as I’m looking at it, I see its power over me.

|××××××××××|××××××××××|

They live in one of the most dangerous towns in America. It smells like burning liquor and cheap perfume at night-and boredom during the day. Nobody ever stays for too long, or leaves unless they have a death wish.

They all come from different backgrounds, posess different morals, and weaknesses. But they all have the same goal. Stay alive and get out.

Follow three young adults, Fia, Joel, and Matteo, on their journey to defeat the higher-ups in their lives.

|××××××××××|××××××××××|

Copyright © All Rights Reserved

6/10. I think the middle paragraph could be deleted, and the first part doesn’t make sense. Great job on the last part though. It really pulled me in.

The Playwright’s Prince

15-year-old Sam Tucker is the perfect actor—except he has stage fright. And he can’t get rid of it, no matter what he tries. When a late arrival to history class lands Sam in detention, he crosses paths with a classmate and aspiring playwright, Luke Emerson. Luke’s been searching for the perfect muse for his play, and Sam’s exactly what he’s looking for. So the two make a deal: If Sam agrees to be Luke’s muse, he’ll help fix Sam’s stage fright.

Honestly 9.5/10 I love this so much, and I honestly don’t know that I found any major error or anything in particular that stood out. The only thing that confused me was when you said Sam was an ‘actor’. I kinda thought of some big shot Hollywood kid that was starring in these big films. Obviously I read on and figured it out, and I don’t really think it’s necessary that you fix it because it was probably just me being slow. Seriously I really do love this description though

Here’s mine:

Yours Truly, Ramona

Ramona and her little brother were supposed to stick together. That was the promise that they’ve stuck to their entire lives. From corrupt foster homes to even more corrupt foster parents, it’s always been Ramona and little eight-year-old Mason, the two kids that stick together like glue.

But, unfortunately, life doesn’t abide by the rules of a child, and the very people Ramona has instilled even the slightest bit of trust in over the course of her life have found a way to betray her.

People like Owen Parker, the doctor Ramona trusted to treat her little brother’s sprained wrist last year. But Owen Parker had other plans, and one year later he’s managed to dig his way back into Ramona and Mason’s lives, only to separate the two of them and send Ramona’s entire world into a downward spiral of hatred, betrayal, and a hell of a lot of drugs.

Brotherless, parentless, and alone in the city of Portland, Ramona has to find a way to cope, and she has to find a way to forgive the man who took her little boy from her. But Ramona can’t cope, she can’t forgive, and she can only bend so many times before she breaks.

7/10
Like with most summaries that focus on many characters, it can be a hodgepodge of information. Everett has a perfect life yet he still worries about an imperfect present which seems odd to me. Perfect people and perfect lives usually come with petty problems. His problems don’t seem petty but rather normal for a person with a non-perfect life. Chandler fantasizes about moving away but doesn’t provide a reason why he wants to do so. His character also confuses me. He is trapped in a place with a suffering GPA and one that causes him to have low self-esteem. If he has any parents in his life or any sense at what’s best for him, all signs point that moving away from upstate New York would be incredibly beneficial and a no brainier. Laurel seems to be the more realistic of the bunch, though there is no explanation why she suddenly must move from home-school and into the public school system. Lastly, the final bit makes it sound like these are all one person experiencing past lives, which I don’t believe was you intention. Instead I feel they are connected by a more paranormal sense which if so needs to be expressed.

7.5/10
It is a common trope to start most summaries with “an average so and so.” The way this sounds, Sam is far from average, in fact, he seems to be the ladies man and has a rather more than average talent. I do like the blossoming gay relationship here, but I do feel you give a little too much away. I can already make predictions on how this story will play out, pun intended, which leaves very little for me to discover. I would expand upon their personalities and their desires more so than reveal major hints on how the story unfolds.

7/10
I question that quote dearly. Paying someone doesn’t always get the job done right or done well. It should say “paying somebody handsomely.” Under pay someone one and you get bad results. Pay someone one good, get better results. This is the way of the world. I always like the concept of people paying to get their school work done or stalking their exes. It’s not a fairly unique concept, but if you twist it, I can see it working. Your style here reads like you’re breaking the fourth wall, which is cool, but you break that style mid way which deters me. I also question why the new girl in town needs to be protected and where to teens get this kind of money. By the end I get secret agent, spy kid vibes, a vision of gadgets and black suits. Not sure if that is your direction, but it is what I am getting from this.

8/10
Good beginning, but I do see in the first paragraph you use the lines stick together and stuck many times. I also assume a corrupt foster home would include corrupt foster parents. One or the other but not both is needed here. Next, I would not begin a sentence with “But.” Just stick with “Unfortunately.” I would also change the line that follows. Everyone knows that parents have power, not children, and the lack of trust part is given in the paragraph above with the corrupt foster homes. Owen Parker seems like a flat villain that needs to be enhanced. How has he managed to dig his way back into their lives and why? Also how old are these kids? Why is there drugs involved? The last paragraph doesn’t paint a powerful image as to why Ramona wants to overcome. Is it for revenge, for love, for self satisfaction? Is Owen Parker even in her life at this point? Mason is her brother so why is he “her little boy?” That’s a phrase meaning a son or child of. All these questions should be things you address in this summary.

What I would like to see here is you write the summary in a letter format, possibly to the doctor, and end it with “yours truly, Ramona.”

7/10
Your quote sounds a little bdsm to me. I think if you word it, “Suffocation once consumed me, tormented me. Now it’s the gateway to my freedom,” it may work better. I would also expand upon “a taste of innocence.” What does that exactly mean? What “used” to be-- typo there. Finishing this I am left with many questions. I don’t get much plot or reason for either of the characters to do what they do. Do they have a past history and how are they connected? Who are these people? How old are they? Many many questions. Lastly, if you lose everything and you still wish to survive, you haven’t lost everything. A person’s willingness to survive is based on a hope, a reason to continue, something they hold on to and don’t let go.

8/10
Firstly, how does a seventeen year old buy a jeep? She can be given a jeep, but buying one requires a good credit, money, etc. I do like how you give this unnamed main character some reason to do what she does and well rounded realistic problems. Regina is also a good friend and a positive influence. Next, you say a fateful day. Odd wording here, sounds like we should already know what that fateful day is. Also, typical girl going to investigate a strange light in park. Definitely poor judgement there. I have no sympathy. This summary then takes a complete 180 shift. I went from girl dealing with ex, father issues, and personal demons, to suddenly bam, flash, powers! Nice touch but a little cliche. Maybe a little build up as to why or how this light got in the park would be nice to include. My only concern here is you repeat the line again that this changed her life. Next you contradict yourself by saying there was no one you could trust to saying you could trust Regina. Elliot, girl, leave him. He ain’t worth it. Lastly, how is the fate of the world in her hands? Is there people after her? Is this aliens? Is that magic, wizard, apprentice stuff? What is going on in the world that would make it in danger?

Final thought: Interesting indeed, but needs more insight on the important stuff and less on the unimportant stuff. And, please, give me the character’s name. A summary is not complete without it.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your feedback! I made some revisions to my plot summary using your advice. However, I want my summary to be short, but interesting enough for readers to want to know more. If you are asking questions, then that means I have done my job!

Asking questions isn’t always a good thing. My questions were to push you to see what you can improve on and/or add to your summary. Glad I could help.

Taking your advice…these are the improvements I made.

“Scarlet Florentino was once filled with happiness. That’s until her world began to fall apart after one terrifying night. Her father has gone away, her mother is becoming distant and the one person she loves is taken from her. What use to be a bright future, is slowly fading into the darkness. Inner demons are hungry for her soul, and with hope diminishing, Scarlet fights to stay alive.”

The reason for keeping it short and sweet is because I don’t want to go into full details about the characters and what not. I want the readers to get a gist of what the book is about and be interested enough to read it! Hopefully this version is better!

Having glanced at the start of your book, I honestly think you’d be better served by not leaving your blurb so vague.

Immediately in chapter 1 you reveal your character has been raped and molested and is in therapy for it. There is no great secret.

In fact, because you are dealing with such a sensitive subject, you should be forthcoming about that in the blurb. This way readers that have been assaulted in real life can avoid your story if it will be too traumatic for them to read a story about such abuse.

Tell us more precisely who your character is, what her conflict/problem is and where the story is set.

Overly vague blurbs will turn off more readers than lure in my honest opinion.

Especially if you are going to immerse them in a story about the after-effects of rape.

Right now they might open it thinking there is some paranormal element with your references to demons.

Becoming Bad

How bad can a good girl get?

With her entire future planned out in excruciating detail, all Adelina Baker wants is to protect her little brother and maybe do things that she never thought she would along the way. And who better to teach her some bad things than the school’s bad boy himself?

Damien Stone is every bit his bad boy persona. From a smirk that could make any girl fall over heels for him to his cocky and dangerous personality, he’s definitely not a person to mess with. He had his heart ripped away from him too soon and no one will be able to find it again. Damien is a dead person walking.

They make a dangerous deal that can change both of their lives forever. All he asks is for one kiss to give her what she wants. With that, Damien will do everything in his power to teach Adelina, turning the two-goody-shoes into a bad person just like him. It’s a part of their deal after all.

Can they find beauty in darkness? Or has the bad boy created someone worst than himself?