Hackathon @ Wattpad HQ

Heyo, it is I, Nick.

You’ll see some posts in here about Hackathons or referring to Hackathon teams, at least for the next couple of days.

Hackathon is an event we put on where people abandon their usual teams and duties and instead form new teams, often with people they’ve never worked with before, to work on a wide assortment of problems or possible future things or immediate solutions.

We then try and see how much we can get done in just two days and also have to present them all at the end and get judged, have winners, and so on. Sometimes, the stuff we create ends up in the product, or becomes something down the line. Other times the learnings we gather go to informing other stuff we tackle in normal Wattpad times. And other times we’re just getting as creative as possible if we had no limitations.

So you’ll see posts and it’s a chance for you to give feedback or suggest stuff you’ve always wondered about. Feel free to interact with them as much as possible and see what happens.

Plus you can randomly suggest stuff here too if you like or just want to talk about speculative feedback.

What if…

How about…

Maybe we could…

That is such a cool idea ! :smiley:

Well… the suggestion I have is to make possible to follow reading list. This is something I want for a long time. I would love being able to follow reading list and having notifications when a book is added to it !

17 Likes

Wait… hackatons aren’t about actually hacking and coding for 24 hours straight?

17 Likes

This sounds like so much fun to be apart of

3 Likes

This sounds like fun and chaos of the best kind.

3 Likes

@nick if you are switching usual teams and duties for a Day or two, does that mean we have a temporary new Supreme Goat Lord :0
What is the forums coming to XP

4 Likes

No, I’m not participating in this one.

I’m a judge at the end.

6 Likes

Ohh, interesting… :eyes: :goat:

2 Likes

That’s what I was thinking as I kept seeing this just now. I was so confused. :joy:

1 Like

Woohoo! New methods for us to whine…ahem… discuss our wattpad hopes and dreams for a better future.

6 Likes

Damn… I thought it was a Hackathon open to the public…

I would have loved to make something for Wattpad.

This aside, suggestion: it would be great that books don’t count the reads of their own authors.

3 Likes

Love this!

Inside of a story, it would be great to have the option to “like” a comment. Similar to the community pages where you can click the heart icon on a post.

Thank you

10 Likes

@nick Can we talk about how I can bribe you so my team wins? Let me know when you’re free, plz and thx.

12 Likes

Actually… that is not that important, isn’t ? I mean… even if you give yourself 20 reads on 100k… Hahah ! Why could we not be counted as our own readers as well as anybody else ? x) I like the fact that I can vote for my own stories, giving myself encouragement for my hard work !

4 Likes

So… will the project of the winning team be implanted in Wattpad after the Hackathon ? :smiley:

1 Like

What if you offered incentives for readers to seek out undiscovered stories? For example, if you read and comment on a story with under “x number” of reads you can earn coins for paid stories.

I’ve seen posts floating around about earning coins, I would love to see it tied to gaining exposure for new or unknown writers.

Thank you

9 Likes

That’s really awesome.

Also HQ, you guys are the best :joy:

5 Likes

I like the voting part, too, but it can be confusing for the reads.

What about new writers? They’d probably like to know how many people actually read their works.

1 Like

They will never know anyway… I mean… each time someone returns on a chapter to reply to a comment, it counts as a read, or when someone goes on the wrong chapter or when someone reread a chapter. Numbers are not that accurate. Comments and votes are actually better to know how many people read the book (because there is only one vote per person)

2 Likes

When aren’t they the best? I mean, we have Nick and Emma, Amanda, so many lovely wonderful people.

The humor is gold too. :ok_hand:

5 Likes