Have you ever scared yourself with your writing?

I thought this might make for a fun topic. Have any of you ever scared yourself with your writing? Has a horror-writing session ever left you in a frame of mind where you scare easier?

If yes, have you got an anecdote you’d like to share?

4 Likes

Not in the sense of staying up at night (since I don’t really read or write horror too often) but more in the sense of “I can’t believe I had such a dark thought and I can’t believe I want to make my MC go through that” sorta scare myself. LOL. I’m gonna join the thousands of others who are wrongfully blaming violent media for our dark minds

3 Likes

Yeah. Before I write something supposedly scary, it has to scare the sh*t out of me first. :smile:

2 Likes

I once wrote a scene about the first time my character killed a person, that one really shook me for a long time because of how harrowing it was. I also once wrote a scene with a ghost and that definitely gave me the shivers.

3 Likes

I wrote a short horror story, and there was one particular scene in the book that wasn’t exactly scary, it was more disturbing.
I wont say exactly what it was, but if you have read my short story, “ASYLUM” then you will know the exact part that I am talking about.
I was shocked with myself. I was shocked with the words that flowed out of my mind, I was a little disgusted with myself, but at the same time, proud that i could have that effect on myself

2 Likes

I’ve definitely created some scenes that give me the creeps. I wrote a scene yesterday about a chicken biting chunks out of someone’s shins that makes me cringe every time I think about it. I’ve also spooked myself while writing … especially at night. Once I get into that headspace, my lights had better be on!

2 Likes

I don’t think this applies, but I recently wrote a conversation between two people where one discovered the circumstances of the other’s attempted suicide. It really hit home as I attempted suicide in the past and a lot of emotions were brought up to the surface. I remember having to take a break from writing for a few days after that part.

1 Like

I’m not even going to ask the context in which a chicken would have the opportunity to bite out chunks of a person. To be fair, we do way worse things to chickens, so I’d say go get yours, Ms. Chicken.

1 Like

Haha! Good point

I don’t know if it helps anything to say it was a rubber chicken? hahaha

I’ve left myself a bit jumpy before. If you’re in the frame of mind of thinking about ‘what if’ and giving mundane sounds malevolence in your work, you’re a bit open to wondering why the fridge is suddenly making that noise. It’s never been a real scare, so much as a sense of unease after thinking too long about unseen nasty things. I try to write horror late in the evening to make sure I’m in the right mood, so I’m asking to be a little bit spooked. :smiley:

1 Like

@ladyofthePond I agree you open the door to being frightened when you are writing about scary things.

3 Likes

I’d say it applies. Even a non-horror story can have scary moments, and suicide is a downright terrifying subject. I’m really sorry that you were in such a bad place in the past. Are you doing okay these days?

1 Like

When I write, I get into the character’s head and sort of pretend I am them. Sort of how an actor might. Sometimes it goes a little deep and I’ve given myself the creeps for having to think the way they do, if the character is a monster or murderer. The eeriness faded soon after leaving that scene. I didn’t have to work my way out of it. It might help some people to shift their mind onto something else, however. A quick game of something to occupy the senses. Candy Crush? Something like that.

2 Likes

I really enjoy being scared but I don’t scare easily. I like to watch horror movies and hope they scare me. One did recently - IT FOLLOWS. Mostly because it was so creepy. in the way that you knew ‘it’ was going to get them all. Recently I wrote a chapter in which a fiery-eyed demon was haunting an old mansion, and it did scare me. I was looking all around me at night for a few says, spooked that something might be there.

2 Likes

It comes and goes. There are days that are worse than others but I can recognize certain triggers and try to work through it. Honestly, the only way I seem to stay sane is going to the gym and writing. It’s been better medicine than actual medicine.

Thanks for asking :slight_smile:

1 Like

Candy Crush should definitely do the trick. Then again, it does bring its own set of horrors!

3 Likes

Well, I’m glad you have a way to handle it.

Thanks for replying, and remember that I’m pulling for you.

1 Like

Thank you, I appreciate it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I kinda freak myself out especially when I come up with chilling concepts or scenes with gore, but it doesn’t really hit me until I write it.