Help Needed? | OPEN

writing
question
feedback-offered
discussion
helping

A%20New%20Design%20-%20Made%20with%20PosterMyWall%20(6)

π˜› π˜– π˜— 𝘐 𝘊 𝘚
π˜› π˜– π˜— 𝘐 𝘊 𝘚
π˜› π˜– π˜— 𝘐 𝘊 𝘚

covers and aesthetics (any graphic designs you may need/want)

covers and title (to do – not to do)

can’t stop procrastinating (5 ways to stop)

general grammar (if you need an editor, i’m open for now)

point of view (are you confused on which one/s to use?)

beginnings are a bitch (how to start a story)

unrealistic plots you shouldn’t fall for (if you don’t know what NOT to write)

actually writing (do you have a tendency of not writing, too?)

show? tell? (having trouble figuring out both?)

Hey there! I’m very new to the community and new to writing so I’m looking around for some friends and any help I can get :slight_smile:

Popped in to say Hi!

Hi! Welcome! Do you have any specific questions or areas you need help in?

Hi! :bluehearts:

Hey people!~

Watsup?

Sure, what’s up?

Hey!

Hello :wave: This is a general question, but I’m having trouble classifying my new story and I was just wondering what counts as β€œadventure” since it seems like such a broad, overlapping category. Does anyone know?

Guy I am so sorry! I’ll have all the topics updated asap – please give me a few minutes

Well what’s your story about? Cause you’re right, adventure is quite broad

An adventure is an exciting experience that is typically a bold, sometimes risky, undertaking. Adventures may be activities with some potential for physical danger such as traveling, exploring, skydiving, mountain climbing, scuba diving, river rafting or participating in extreme sports. (Straight from google)

Basically is like action except…with less action

What are some tips you could give to a new writer?

It’s a dark fantasy story, but the characters are constantly moving to different locations and it’s basically a continuing journey with lots of action along the way (kind of like Lord of the Rings I guess…?) So I feel like it could fit under adventure too

1. DON’T use too many cliches
  2. Use grammar (I’m begging you)
  3. Have a good cover/title
  4. Have a planned plot
  5. GRAMMAR

One thing that helps is keep writing. Sometimes I’m discouraged or not feeling inspired, but sometimes you gotta just keep writing and sometimes you are able to move past that block.

Also, sometimes criticism hurts. I think I felt a little b*tch slapped when I got my first (and even second) critique on my work, but you have to remember that 1. It might make your story better, even tho it kinda sucks at first 2. You don’t have to change it just cause someone suggested it. It is after all, your story.

Give yourself a lot of grace and slack. It’s easy to beat yourself up over a story that didn’t turn out as magical as you hoped, but if you remember that writing takes time to develop, you don’t have to feel down about less than perfect results.

So true lmao

Yeah, I can see where it can be fantasy or adventure. I’m not sure if one is necessarily better than the other to choose, so I think whatever you decide is probably fine, especially if it’s pretty much equally fantsty and adventure. My guess is that because it overlaps, people interested in both categories would take interest in your story, so I don’t think there’s a β€œwrong” answer.

That’s true. I guess I’m mainly wondering if the category I pick would change readership in any way, but it probably wouldn’t make too much of a difference