Help Needed? | OPEN

writing
question
feedback-offered
discussion
helping

Hey, just wanted to ask if you think that itโ€™s a good idea to include a prologue. I normally do, so I can set the basis for my first chapter, but if Iโ€™m still not sold on the concept. If anyone could make or break it, that would be perfect!

Sorry if Iโ€™m spamming BUT:

๐˜› ๐˜– ๐˜— ๐˜ ๐˜Š ๐˜š

covers and aesthetics (any graphic designs you may need/want)

covers and title (to do โ€“ not to do)

canโ€™t stop procrastinating (5 ways to stop)

general grammar (if you need of an editor, iโ€™m open for now)

point of view (are you confused on which one/s to use?)

beginnings are a bitch (how to start a story)

unrealistic plots you shouldnโ€™t fall for (if you donโ€™t know what NOT to write)

Prologues are fine โ€“ they give readers a general idea of what youโ€™re book is about, so, yeah go for it!

I think if it makes sense, and it isnโ€™t just a data dump, then prologues are totally fine.

Actually I sort of had a question about that too! Is it acceptable to have a prologue (idk if itโ€™s technically a prologue or not) with the POV of someone whoโ€™s not the protagonist at the beginning of a story? I had planned on making it 1 chapter, but I liked the random side characters in it so I decided to expand it to 3 chapters. Is that a bad idea, to have all this extra stuff before the main character is even introduced? I feel like it would help with world-building, but idk

Yes, thatโ€™s perfectly fine โ€“ just make sure you donโ€™t confuse readers. Any other questions? : )

Thatโ€™s it for now :joy: thanks!

Thereโ€™s a Novella called Heart of Darkness, which I think does this quite nicely. I believe the technique is called frame narration, although itโ€™s not in the prologue per se because it was written in 1899 before they were a thing?

Cool lol

Thank you!

I love Heart of Darkness! Iโ€™d forgotten it started out that way

Yeah haha I just wrote an essay on it like twenty minutes ago soโ€ฆ

No problem! If you ever need help with anything else, Iโ€™m here

Thank you :slight_smile:
Iโ€™m currently trying to write 1,000 words a day and I want to finish a short story Iโ€™ve been publishing.

Good luck!

I followed you so I can easily find you!

Thatโ€™s a great goal! I should try and do that too lol

Wish I had the time to do that, haha. Iโ€™ll give you a follow, keep an eye out for your work!

I think I heard Stephen King say that in a TedTalk (I could be wrong about that) so I thought it was a good start :slight_smile:

Lmao, I just followed back