Help with English grammar

Hello!
I’m a non-native English writer writing a book in English, and lately I’ve gotten some critiques saying that many of my phrases sound strange, something I was already expecting.
I was wondering if any of you could be so kind to read some of my writing and tell me (honestly, please) how bad it truly is, as in, is it readable? Can you understand what I’m trying to say? And ultimately, is it good enough to be accepted by a publisher? If not, how can I improve it?

Sure, I’ll have a look. (I am an editor and teach English :+1:t4:)

Thank you very much! :heart:
I can’t post links here, but my book is titled “Pawprints”.

Technically, you can’t ask people to read your work here, it’s against guidelines. You can post excerpts onto the threads though.

…I’m going to go look at your story now.

The problem is that I don’t know exactly what sounds weird xD

I have to get offline, but I read the preface and some of the first chapter. While you have some typos and run-on sentences, what I read was easy to follow. Sorry I can’t read more.

I’ve had a look and see the issues - for example you use interrogative pronouns in the place of demonstrative ones and add words that are already implied in English. Your English is perfectly good, but these tiny errors makes it jar when reading.

What do you mean words that are already implied?

These might help you read up on some grammar rules yourself

Words without borders - focuses on translation and international literature

Grammar Girl - explains language and usage in an entertaining manner at her blog.

The Chicago Manual of Style - is the style guide used by most of the book publishing industry.

Daily Writing Tips - looks at topics like usage, spelling, vocabulary and more.

Grammar Book - has usage rules, quizzes and more.

Word Hippo - generates word origins, synonyms, antonyms, translations, tenses, rhyming words, various parts of speech, names and more.

Omg! Thank you very much for all the links! :heart:

Use grammarly its free and totally bomb

Also, I’ve heard about this side called Grammarly. Does anyone know if it is any good?

Yas @A-fluffy-cat I have it.

It helps with basic mistakes, and sentence structure. If you want to go a step further, you can get a paid subscription and it helps with a lot of complicated things as well. I personally have the Grammarly Premium.

Oh, wow! You just replied to the question I was typing! xD

I use grammarly. It’s not perfect, but it catches the most obvious mistakes. It’s not something you should rely on 100%, but it does help.

I love it only thing I hate is when im purposely trying to mess up and it corrects me lol

It’s such a pain :sob:

And the fact that it interacts weirdly with the coding of some website. It makes facebook spaz out for me.

Good thing I have no clue how to use Facebook.

You’re not missing out. It’s a shit website.