Hi, I'm new to horror

I want to learn how to make a horror story but with creepy cute characters and scary/creepy ones as well.

2 Likes

Have you ever seen scary animations or movies?
https://www.wattpadwriters.com/t/calling-all-writers-readers-watchers-of-darker-themes-and-genre/33843?u=lennythefox

This thread talks about horror. You can join here if you want.

Do you at least have a general idea of plot or story?

1 Like

It’s Luna waking up in a abandoned hospital and finds out that people have turned into zombie

1 Like

Ok well start with that. Scope out your story and outline the character(s) and the rest will follow. You can portray the cuteness through either their dialogue or body language. Just try not to force it :grin:

1 Like

This will be my first horror story. This is a mini series I’m working on

1 Like

Well waking up in a creepy hospital surrounded by zombies is a good place to start

1 Like

Thank you

1 Like

look forward to reading it

1 Like

I’m not good at designing a book cover. The story will be called Insane

I don’t know if it should be Luna’s point of view or a third person view?

That isn’t overly important at this stage. I mean mine I made by taking a photo I had taken and editing it on my laptop lol.
There are pages whether people will offer a basic one that they make for you and it doesn’t cost too much.

For your first attempt I would suggest Luna’s perspective, you can then portray the emotions and dialogue with other characters easier. I found it easier for me anyway, doesn’t work for everyone.

1 Like

Thank you for the advice

1 Like

you’re welcome, happy to help where I can

1 Like

Hello everyone. How’s your weekend going?

Hi @Reynoldsb!

Something that could help distinguish your cute/creepy monsters from your scary/creepy ones would be to use a technique that’s commonly referred to as The Uncanny Valley.

In broad terms, this means…

(1) making the cute/creepy characters look less human; this will make the few human traits they DO have stand out and make them more appealing (think any animal sidekick in a Disney movie) and

(2) making the scary/creepy characters look almost-but-not-quite human; this will make their few non-human traits stand out, which makes them seem unnerving or even revolting. Example: a guy who looks ordinary except that he has glowing, pupiless eyes.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice

2 Likes

Something like:

We start with a small little girl. She was on a swing and minding her own business. Girl was rocking back and forth while talking to her imaginary friend, john. The world around her don’t see John, but she does. Though, John wasn’t normal. He was a big guy. Massive, overweight and unclean. His tee-shirt was stained with months old blood. It’s no longer bright red as it was a month ago, the tee-shirt was dingy, dirty and stinky. John liked the little girl, every time he sees her playfully on the swing - she just brings out a smile, that’s because she was his first kill.

—> Horror is how you spin the story. In this case we start off with a little girl, her imaginary friend, but the friend is not imaginary, he’s a monster and the girl - she’s a ghost…

And yes, John is also a ghost.