How do adults make friends?

I’m in an area where I have no friends nearby, and I don’t know how to make friends without being in school, especially since my coworkers and I don’t really click

I think we might be on tbe same boat there.:sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I have no idea… There might be events… coming up? Poetry jams, readings, a book club or a writing clubs in your area you can join? Usually free, I think. If you keep running into the same people, I’m sure you’ll make a friend or two. Go clubbing? I would hate to do that alone, but some people I know really live for that stuff, hanging out by themselves and adding themselves to groups.

3 Likes

You get married. Then you have a friend for life.

But I don’t have any other friends. I bonded with a lesbian bride I met at work and we both hung out with our wives a few times, then they kind of fell off the radar last year :frowning:

Having grown-up friends is hard.

1 Like

:sob::sob::sob:

1 Like

Yeah … people keep saying that when my kids are in school we’ll make parent friends. The older one is starting preschool soon. I guess we’ll see how that goes. So, um, get a spouse and then have kids (or have kids on your own!) and then wait for them to go to school. That’s how you make friends as an adult.

1 Like

I usually make friends by sharing in some kind of inconvenience or calamity together and exchanging phone numbers after a hearty session of bitching about it.

Love on people’s pets. Seriously. Dogs, cats, turkeys, etc.

When you meet someone and they tell you about their pet, ask to see pictures, listen to their stories about their pet’s quirks, and act like that tortoise is the best being on the planet.

BOOM! Instant friend/pet sitting opportunity. The friendship will develop from there. So this is great if you want a friend AND a pet, but don’t want to commit to getting your own marmot.

3 Likes

I feel like we have to be missing something. Like I see childless adults with friends. HOW DO THEY ACCOMPLISH THIS MIRACLE?!?

2 Likes

Please tell me you know someone with a pet turkey. I’m invested in the backstory I made up in my head for it already

1 Like

How do you do this? Work with children :joy: So you never have your own and can pursue other things besides child-rearing. Child-rearing? Hmm what a weird phrase.

Wait, you mean to tell me that having children will eventually lead to a social life? What wizardry is this?

1 Like

I live in a town that allows you have chickens and turkeys. My dog and I go visit our neighbor’s turkeys every day. They’re named Ike and Tina.

4 Likes

Almost all of my neighbors have chickens. I think one even has peacocks. They’re very noisy.

1 Like

I mean, I can’t promise anything, but that’s what all my colleagues who are moms with older kids tell me. I CAN tell you that there is no social life when you have little kids.

1 Like

Eh… I’d say you can make friends with other parents, but when the only thing you have in common is that you have a miniature human or two that you’re raising, that limits the potential things to talk about.

The most likely ways to make adult friends is joining hobby groups. Book clubs, writing circles, whatever floats your boat. For those of us with mostly niche interests and extremely out-of-left-field thinking, it’s a lot harder.

Apps like MeetUp, Skout, MeetMyDog, Me3, MeetMe, etc. are also a possibility. I mean, making new friends is sort of like non-romantic dating. You need to take time to get to know them, and connect on a level where you both enjoy each other’s personality and whatnot.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t know. They must be friends from school or work. Or they’re related. :joy:

1 Like

Awww I love Ike and Tina as Turk names.

1 Like

Well, that’s ok. I’m pretty much a hermit anyway.

2 Likes

I don’t know. I can talk about my miniature humans pretty endlessly. Other parents at a playground are pretty much the only strangers I’ve ever had a full blown conversation with. :joy:

1 Like