How do I get someone to trust a complete stranger?

In my story, My main character rescues random people who were captured by criminals. How can I give them a reason to trust him?

2 Likes

Hmm maybe the character has some kind of problem/illness/meltdown/etc. And the other character helps/comforts the character

2 Likes

The main character is currently not in the right mood to have some sort of mental breakdown or something. He is also not the comforting type

2 Likes

He could explain to them that if he wanted them dead, he’d never had rescued them? His actions should speak for himself I’d think. They don’t have anyone else to trust.

2 Likes

They could suspect that he rescues them, only to be captured again by his superiors

1 Like

Well In his hands is surely safer than the ones that previous held them, there’s no obvious trust that a stranger can give to another stranger, it’s all in the hands of hope—“I sure hope you’re trustworthy, If my decisions wrong then I’m completely screwed.”

No matter what you do, they will always have some part within themselves that doesn’t trust him, so it’ll never be that cookie clear cut.

2 Likes

Do you really expect them to put their trust in an edgy 14 year old with a gun

2 Likes

he can say to them, ‘‘dont trust me a bit, trust yourselves, but if you want to live then try sticking close to me.’’

2 Likes

The problem is that they are more of an x factor in his mission, but he won’t really leave someone behind. He needs them to leave safely, but he needs them to trust him first

If that’s who killed their hostage takers and is leading them to safety? Yes. They will hold prejudice over the kid because he’s…well, a kid. But like I said all he can do is bring up clear points and offer them an in or an out, you can’t ever completely trust a stranger. It’s all in hoping for the best.

This is all that can be done, unless he were to do an incredibly high impacting action to win over their trust. Like say kill a person in front of them.

1 Like

then after saving them you can make him look cool by making him leave from there after saying this, ‘‘i dont have time to baby sit, if you want to live then follow me, stay and you die, your decision, i wont force anyone, im not here to kill you if i was you wont be listening to me talking.’’

2 Likes

after this dialogue if they are in a bad situation they are sure to go with him

1 Like

Well, if they’ve been kidnapped, then being rescued is something they idolize and dream about. Obviously they don’t want to be stuck in a bad situation. So when some bro comes in blazing guns and tells them they have to come with him if they want to live, I’m sure most people would just relent to this because, like, how worse can their situation get?

Are you asking how you get someone to trust another person permanently or how to trust someone in a moment?

For example, if someone has kidnapped me, and then somebody shows up and says they’ll try to save me, I will likely trust in them in that moment since my choice is between them and being kidnapped. So even if they’re lying, it can’t really be worse than the current situation. I won’t trust them after that moment, but given the context, I’m significantly more likely to trust someone just to save me or at least try. Don’t have anything to lose.

4 Likes