How do I learn how many pages are in my book?

I guess this counts as research, but anyways…

I think we are all curious at one point or another how your book would look like when it is on paper and not online. I think we all wonder at some point how many pages our book would have as a traditional paperback book. I know there is that bar on the top of the page, but I am wondering if there is any sort of website that can convert my book into a page amount.

Ex. The book I want to know the page number about is roughly 275k words, I am trying to figure out how many pages that is in a normal paperback book.

I’m not sure about online tools, but I use Scrivener for writing and that program automatically calculates how many pages you’d have in different formats:

5 Likes

Okay, that is awesome.

1 Like

Yeah, it is! :slight_smile: I’d recommend Scrivener to all writers out there, it’s made my life a lot easier.

1 Like

Is that off of google docs? Or is that an entirely different writing program?

Entirely different. And it isn’t free. But if you’re a student, you can get it pretty cheap. The only thing I’m not writing home about is the spell and grammar check, but the rest is amazing.

1 Like

That’s pretty cool! Thanks for showing it. And yep, I’m a student.

1 Like

Also — the book length is roughly 150k words for reference.

Also, my book is (if I look and trust my math) roughly 500 pages long.

1 Like

That’s amazing! You can be proud :slight_smile:

It depends on the font you are using, of course, but in general, 250-300 words per page. Therefore, a 55,000 word book should be about 200 manuscript pages. A 100,000 word book would be about 400.

I’m not sure if we’re allowed to link off site, but google, “book page count calculator” and use one to give you a estimate.

Also depends on book’s physical size. 8.5"x10" printer paper is different than an 8x6" novel.
Font type, size, and spacing will also affect things.

I will make a note that google docs and MS word docs don’t quite line up in page length. (I tried…)

There also this site: https://wordcounter.net/words-per-page
and similar ones you can just Google. the one I linked here takes spacing and font into account, too

Pages: Take your total word count, divide by 250 and that gives the approximate page count.

Most publishers, though go by word count for books, where the range for most adult books is around 90,000 for the first book unless historical fiction or sff, where the word count can max around 100,000-120,000 depending on the publisher/agent, with most preferring around the 100,000 mark for a first book, but 90,000 will get you a sale faster.

Young Adult is supposed to max at 80,000 and MG, around 40,000-50,000. NA around 90,000-ish, preferably lower.

1 Like

Wow at 600 pages, yikes!

I just copy whatever i’m writeing on Microsoft word it keeps count of how many words i write and pages.

use the preview option for your book and change the reading method to page and then lower the text size

exactly and the text size