How do you come up with ideas?

Hello there! Pretty basic question, I know, but I’m stuck and desperate, so here it goes.

So being a busy uni student, I rarely have time to actually sit down and write anything more than a few paragraphs. Small ideas came to mind from time to time but I dismissed them due to studying being a priority.

However, recently my schedule had been a bit less intense and so yay, finally, I had both the time and the motivation to write seriously. I sat down, opened a word document and…nothing. I stared at the blank white screen for nearly an hour (no joke ;-;), I tried some freestyle, writing down anything that came to mind just to get the creativity going, but nope, that did nothing to help me come up with an actual story idea I wanted to write.

Is this what they call writer’s block? Or is it because I’ve mainly done poetry before and prose is just a harder form of writing that I’m not used to yet?
So I wanted to know, how do you generally come up with ideas for stories/novels/characters? How do you get inspired, do you have a special routine or anything?

Please, share your methods with me, I’m genuinely curious ^-^

Well, for me, I just watch TV shows, movies, play games, read books. And if I like something, I’d just point to it and say ‘I want to do something like that but this way instead’. That’s more-or-less how I think when it comes to these things.

What are three of your most favourite stories? Be it TV show, movie, game, book, whatever…

1 Like

I like to use my interests to help me find inspiration. For you, that might be incorporating your study material into a novel.

1 Like

I get inspired through emotional movies, songs, sometimes drawing and other books.

And I like to create a world in my head, so I can imagine my characters and that helps me write more.

3 Likes

By simply day dreaming.
Yes its simple - just picture all those scenes you wonder what it would be like to experience. Whether its a dangerous one fashion moment or simply a past memory. Use it. I started out using my own experiences but as I wrote I tweaked it a lot. Ideas come as you begin to write. I mix things up. Or change a situation I went through to one I wished could happen. Just open your mind…imagine things the way you want them to be. Thats the whole point. Use a genre you like and youre familiar with and keep day dreaming. Its fun trust me and believe it or not ideas do flow.

5 Likes

Mine can come from anything. Normally I get them randomly through day dreaming, or just chatting with friends and something will pop up. Watching TV, reading books. The places are endless.

2 Likes

I don’t come up with ideas. Ideas come to me.

I’ve learned if I exhaust my brain too much, I’m left drained and blank. So I just wait. Ideas come when I am uninterrupted and my mind is at wonders behind the scenes. But these are what I do to really trigger ideas.

• READING: Reading has always given me a blast of inspiration and tips. You can analyze and pick apart a book. See what they did to achieve the character arcs, see the kind of setting the writers built, the pacing. But remember, just because something is published, it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s good.

• REAL LIFE INFLUENCES: Think back to some of your life moments and your own goals. Sometimes I write about myself and my own experiences. Then, little by little, it twists into fiction. I paint splashes of personality to the characters, add in some twists and change… You can end up with a story that isn’t about you anymore!

• REVISITING OLD WORKS: Sometimes I delve into my old essays and short stories for fun. I discover tso many things I could use and twist into a story. It even works for schoolwork, particularly English. Sometimes they can be great first lines in stories, deliver a good message, or have an appeasing story in general!

• QUIET TIME: Real life often interrupts our train of thought. It may be hard to catch a break, but if you do, just relax. Your brain can wander off to many interesting ideas and intriguing what-ifs.

• PROMPTS: They’re very good for practice. You have a basic idea and then you can build up on it as you jot it down.

3 Likes

Oh my. Uhhhh I daydream everyday. Every hour. Every second. And when I daydream and walk around a lot if not prance. And, uh, people have noticed. :rofl:

1 Like

same here i also create a world my head …and got inspired through songs and music…

2 Likes

Lol, we think alike.

1 Like

that’s what i thought …i was going to reply but then i saw your comment…

1 Like

Well, first off, I think you’re trying to force yourself to create a story when you hadn’t previously thought of one to begin with. But if that’s not the case and you already have a broad idea of what you want to write about, there is something that works for me (not sure it would work for you since every writer is different, but it’s worth giving it a try).

Instead of writing your story in a chronological order, you could start anywhere in the timelapse of your story, you could even write the last chapter first or just any scene in any order. Just write what inspires you, what makes you feel any emotion, the cilmax moments of your story.

This won’t work for everyone, of course, but it has worked for me when I have a writer block. Sometimes that block comes just because we have doubts about our own ability to write, but the inspiration will eventually come and you’ll feel satisfied with what you’ve writen.

3 Likes

Lol, when am in kieland( my mind world).

I it’s like my characters are real, lol.

2 Likes

my mind world is called ‘adornia’…where all the types of mystical character exist along with the normal world.

1 Like

Nice.

1 Like

tell me more about your mind world …if you want to.

1 Like

Lol sure.

It’s like the life I wanted, with crazy friends that have different personalities( my character).

But it all depends on the book am writing.
How about your world?

1 Like

sometimes i imagine myself as a good girl {main character} …and the other times i am the main antagonist …either way i ended up being the important part of the story…

1 Like

Lol.

Am just like a side character in my world.
But i do date a lot, lol

1 Like

sometimes i date & other times i tried to ruin the dates of other :joy: :joy:

1 Like