How do YOU define success as a writer?

Different people have vastly different goals (personally and professionally) and define success very differently. How do you define success relative to your own publishing goals?

Pushing my own boundaries for what I thought I could acquire. I’ve been writing since I was very little, and when I was around 16-18 I decided to not ever try out publishing. I didn’t want anyone to see my writing, it was all for me and I felt free.

Then I found when Wattpad when I was 24. I think the real success was me getting over the whole notion not wanting anyone to see my writing - to well… Now. Uploading my stories so people can read them.

That’s my version of success anyways.

3 Likes

I think I’d be happy if I self-published and break even. That’s more or less my goal in life. Break even in what I do.

And to break even, people need to be interested enough in my writing to read it. That’s an important part as well. People thinking my stories are good enough to tell their friends or their parents about.

3 Likes

Having readers who love my stories as much I do. I just want to be able to talk to a bunch of people about my stories! :smile:

1 Like

As long as I’m producing books I enjoy, and I’m proud of the level of quality I’m putting out, I’m a happy camper.

Now, some that know I’m successful might think that’s a cop-out, but it’s really the way I feel. the fact that I’ve had financial success is “gravy” but the thing I’m the most pleased by is the work itself. Even if I never sold a book I would have looked at these titles as a success.

3 Likes

I want to write a story people would read and talk about. I do not have any fiscal goals, I am financially secure. I just want to write something people want to pick up and to read for free without me having to use social media, just because they like my books.

2 Likes

High-quality writing that gets some kind of level of recognition. I’m not looking for fame, but it’d be nice to leave some kind of legacy of good writing. You know, a little-known cult favorite that gets published. Even just something small that might only be known in a few circles.

Of course if the money poured in and I could solely write as my career, that is the dream. But mostly I just want to get these stories out of me that fester in my head, and improve at the craft as I do so.

1 Like

First, when the story is finished to my liking/standard. To me, that’s success.

Second, when I get meaningful feedback that it was liked or even moved someone.

And third, when someone buys it. Each sale is a success to me. Not because of the pittance I earn on the sale, but because someone was willing to pay for it.

2 Likes

I have a folder in my gmail account labeled ‘ego boost’. It’s what I tag my most effusive and detailed reviews, the ones where I really blew someone’s mind. Right now I only average 3-4 of those a year. Success to me would mean getting that number at least into the double digits.

1 Like

Personally, I define it as actually having the time to sit down and write in a day. No matter if it’s 30 words or 500. Professionally… I’d consider it either on here getting recognized or more reads then I have, not on here… actually getting published. Rather by a publishing house or self publishing.