How do you find and mark books for older adult readers?

question
recommendations
promotion

#adultfiction is just a hashtag anyone can add, but you must apply for the profile’s reading lists. I’d recommend following that profile too.

Exactly!
We try to promote the hashtags #adultfiction and #grownupreads
The profile offers reading lists, contests, book reviews (the book of the month, together with author interviews) and other stuff meant for adult readers and writers on Wattpad

Ugh, this is so true! I’m tired of stories where the setting is high school.

I am in the last year of my teenage years but I’ve been told I’m mature for my age, and I’ve never really identified with my peers. I think even when I was in high school, I didn’t want to read about high school drama.

And to think I’m considering sending my one MC back to school :joy:

My MC is a street punk whose life was ruled by his mom’s pimp before he was kidnapped by a practically decimated werewolf pack. After the Alpha King straightens them all out, the king is considering sending the street punk back to school, as well as the teenage alpha of the pack that kidnapped him. The teen alpha had extremely limited education and no real-world experience. They would be out west away from the city, where the King’s dad teaches in a high school.

And then I think… high school drama? Do I really want to go there?:sob::sob::sob:

Most threads for adults that I’ve seen are titled (35+)
But I guess i didn’t look deep enough =)

This really is an interesting problem. It’s like the term or genre title doesn’t exist. I can’t think of a name with adult or mature in it that doesn’t imply xxx connotations. And even if there was a name, at the same time I don’t want to alienate any teen readers who might like my book. I suppose it’s like anything else though. You walk into a Barnes and Noble and there’s no separate section, only one for YA. But with Wattpad it’s almost the reverse, with majority YA, no matter the genre.

It appears they are writing what they know. Which is pretty normal.

It’s more of a challenge to write the age-group without the trappings, yet still have interest in the work. I wrote ZA for kicks and it’s much more popular with adults than it is with the targeted age group.

I doubt a “for adults” title would turn off teen readers. By the time I was in high school, the majority of the books I read were “for adults.” Though granted, YA was a much smaller genre back then, more associated with elementary school fare like Judy Bloom than blockbusters like “The Hunger Games” (which, if published when I was in high school, may well have been something I found in General Fiction or Adventure, not YA).

That’s very true, actually.

I thin ‘grownups’ works best as ‘adult’ and ‘mature’ have all been tarnished. And a teen can be a grownup.

Wasn’t the category Young Adult was created to get Harry Potter of the NYT Best seller’s list? Or that was the rumor in writer’s cycles at the time.

I’m sure that the NYT was glad to have a place to put the Twilight books when they came out.

Speaking of grownups - I goofed on a message I put out and got zinged for questionable content. Is there some way we can edit our messages going out so I can delete the questionable phrase?

A message to your followers? Is it greyed out with the remark it’s being observed?

It has a warning label - This message may be offensive.

I said a character was 'all out of ‘give a shit’ which might be the problem.

You can go to the three dot symbol (probably in the upper right corner of the message, but might vary depending on the browser you’re using) and delete the message. Change the wording and resend.
It’s sometimes a single word that triggers the warning.

Yes, that’s a classic. Sh*t would be the trigger in this case. Use another word and you’ll be fine @KatJordan

Got it done! Just cut and pasted and removed the offending word.

Thanks! It’s going to take time to get this all worked out.

No worries, you’ll get there. If you have troubles, just ask. That’s we old hands are here for :wink:

Yeah, that happened when I was in junior high or high school. So as a teenager, I saw the beginning of the trend, but it had yet to affect the secondhand bookstores where I shopped.

Whereas when I was an adult and wrote a paranormal romance, many acquaintances assumed it was YA. Because I guess fictional characters are incapable of mischief after turning 18?

That’s a good point. I have an upcoming project that just happens to include teens, romance, and horror, and while I have no problem whatsoever with a YA crowd picking it up, in no way would I call it YA. I’m glad with sites like Wattpad and doing self-promotion so I can market it the way I want.